Prelim exams in comparison to HSC. (1 Viewer)

mikballs

HSC
I just finished my prelims, and lets just say I didn't do as well as I would have liked..but that seemed to be the case for most of my fellow students. I saw that I mostly bombed out when it came to essays *sigh*.
I wanted to ask 2 questions:

1. For everyone who's done their hsc, did this happen to you as well? Did you find that you didn't exactly 'ace' the Prelims but went a lot better for your hsc?

2. Any reccomendations on essay writing?

Any help would be wonderful.
Ty. =]

HSC
I have found that my ranks have improved quite significantly in my HSC year compared to prelim, but that's not to say that this happens for everyone (obviously for one person to go up another must go down?). But the reason that it is prelim is so that you have practice and now you know how to refine your study methods and techniques because you should know what's best for you.

Essay writing completely depends on the subject...I can't really say I have any tips but I know for example that the approach to English essays are very different to Ancient history essays, and you have to realise what markers are looking for.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
mikballs said:
I just finished my prelims, and lets just say I didn't do as well as I would have liked..but that seemed to be the case for most of my fellow students. I saw that I mostly bombed out when it came to essays *sigh*.
I wanted to ask 2 questions:

1. For everyone who's done their hsc, did this happen to you as well? Did you find that you didn't exactly 'ace' the Prelims but went a lot better for your hsc?

2. Any reccomendations on essay writing?

Any help would be wonderful.
Ty. =]
You need to practice for essays.

dolbinau

HSC
Honestly, in year 11 I would only write sometimes 2-3 pages for some things (poetry) and get 4 max.

In year 12 my essays are now usually 6 pages long and get much better marks. My ranks are the best they've ever been!

Don't give up.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't worry, despite what people say, a year is enough time to get your act together. But you better start now.

62anoiF

HSC
I definitely didn't ace my prelims. I think I only just passed most of them. Went much better in HSC trials in every subject. I think it's because you don't study as much in prelims, well I didn't really study much but in trials you realise they're important so you put in more effort.

Essay writing...can't really help with that...just remember to link back to the question in all your paragraphs.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
After all the initial preliminary assessments, I didn't do so well in the Prelim exams, but that was probably because by then, I'd figured out just how much they counted towards my HSC (i.e. ZERO, zilch, nada).

You have one year to change your attitude to study, to change how effective you are at studying, to change essay writing styles, complexity of exam responses, etc. I managed to change in a year, and I based my change around the writing styles/exam strategies of the best students in previous HSC years. It cost me alot to do so (in terms of finding them, replicating their strategies, exam response structures, study techniques etc), but I did it. You don't have to go about it that exact same way, but the point is, there IS an opportunity there to improve, always. So yeah - it's up to you now though.

And yes. Prelims mean shit all. (No offense to those who do good in them or whatever though).

HSC
Other way around for me, raped prelim, got raped by HSC.

:(

jellybelly59

HSC
live.fast said:
After all the initial preliminary assessments, I didn't do so well in the Prelim exams, but that was probably because by then, I'd figured out just how much they counted towards my HSC (i.e. ZERO, zilch, nada).

You have one year to change your attitude to study, to change how effective you are at studying, to change essay writing styles, complexity of exam responses, etc. I managed to change in a year, and I based my change around the writing styles/exam strategies of the best students in previous HSC years. It cost me alot to do so (in terms of finding them, replicating their strategies, exam response structures, study techniques etc), but I did it. You don't have to go about it that exact same way, but the point is, there IS an opportunity there to improve, always. So yeah - it's up to you now though.

And yes. Prelims mean shit all. (No offense to those who do good in them or whatever though).
wow... :)

Joga Bonito

HSC
i found just constantly practicing my essays in exam conditions helped me heaps, and also keeping the language simple and to the point.

The Spectre

HSC
I aced all of my prelims. What a shame they don't count towards anything. It took everything out of me and now that I've reached year 12 - I'm stressed and exhausted!

Here are some of my year 11 marks: (half yearlies)
Photography - 100% (first perfect score ever and it's not a UAI course :evilfire: )
Biology - 88%
Music - 88%
English - 84%
Visual Art - 80%
Legal Studies - 78%

...I have a lot to live up to. I really must push myself in the HSC course! I'm scared my results won't be half as good as those ones. I fell a bit behind due to hospitalisation due to appendicitis. I never really got back on my game after that!

Does anyone have any tips on getting energy and enthusiasm back?
(I'm hoping the holidays will do it for me!)

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Just chill, really chill and do something fun.

I just did two exams today and i'm just relxing- the homework comes tomorrow :)

I should be right by tomorrow after this nice break ^^

jaaaaay

HSC
live.fast said:

Listen to the expert... haha.

I did so shit in year 11 - doesn't count! Pick yourself up and you'll do fine!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you really have issues with essay writing, ask your school for information on essay writing workshops, there a few held over the year i think and apparently they are quite good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)