Prelim tasks didn't go so well..:( (1 Viewer)

Future-Med-GP

HSC
First off, I'm not a troll.

Well during this week, I've received a few marks back of all my subjects. I was quite confident that I'd perform really well in my tasks but this is how they went:

Physics Practical Exam (Worth 20%) - 71% (not so surprising, since we had to do the practical exam all over again, then I had no time to finish the whole paper)
Advanced English Tasks - 16/20, 18/20, 18/20.
Economics Exam (Worth either 10% or 20%) - 61% (WTF! To be honest, I was expecting 95%+... even though top mark was 81%... :angry:.. should've wrote the last part as an essay instead of subheadings with points...had all the information in my head...silly multiple choice errors as well...)
Chemistry Practical Exam (Worth 20%) - Result not known, screwed up the last question worth 4 marks as I was away while we calculated the empirical formula. Left the table a bit wet as well during the prac (safety problem) and I'm pretty sure the teacher spotted it whilst I was doing the practical.
Biology Practical Exam (Worth 20%)- Result not known, the practical and the theory both went terrible today. If I did STUDY and REVISED ffs for the theory part...I would've gained extra marks... I also made a silly mistake with putting ribosome instead of the mitochondria on the labelling of the diagram, and lysosomes instead of ribosomes...all mixed up :pain:.

I've got a English Listening Task coming up on Tuesday, a Mathematics Extension Exam next friday and after that exam, a 2U Mathematics exam. I think I haven't put much effort into my tasks, and I can't stuff up both English and Maths like the others...Been on MSN too much while studying and talking (multi tasking), too much tennis (exhaustion when I arrive home, thus going to sleep quick with no study at all, like yesterday which was the main reason why I screwed up biology) and at times, procrastinating...which is probably a problem to a lot of students... I received 3 excellence awards for Biology, Chemistry and Economics, and now, the chances obtaining those awards again are quite slim...What should I do? :( I'm feeling so angry right now...The HSC is about to begin (term 4) and I've lost confidence and motivation to put any effort...:(.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I truly understand your circumstances as I was placed in that same situation until yesterday.

My result in Biology did not reflect my effort and expectation. However, I learnt that it does not mean that I will be getting same result over and over again. The exam result mainly reflects how WELL YOU PERFORMED in that particular exam. It does not necessarily mean that you hold less knowledge than the ones who did better. It basically means you made more mistakes than others in that particular exam. This is just the nature of exam that we need to be aware of and accept. It is our freedom to choose whether to move on or feel burnt out for the rest of the year. Everyone would feel burnt out if they performed less than their expectations. However, it is important to learn from it and move on.

Past results are just past results and they do not hold any lasting impact on the results that will come beyond. By the way, do you know what I did today?
I wrote "DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY! IT'S ONLY YEAR 11!" on the whiteboard in my room so that I can read it whenever I enter my room. I feel so much better now inside. I guess I will start afresh. Forgetting about my past great & poor results. As a proof, I got rid of all the reports that I had (somewhere unknown). Why don't you try it? :cool:

As they say, "Confusion is the first stage of learning". How will you respond to that???

Last edited:

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
dude, why are you crying over this? it's year 11. it's not like this will impact on anything in your life.

Future-Med-GP

HSC
lolcal said:
dude, why are you crying over this? it's year 11. it's not like this will impact on anything in your life.
I agree, but by obtaining low marks in the preliminary, my confidence and motivation goes down for the HSC, thus having no belief in myself. I know that Year 11 counts for nothing and it's building up our knowledge for the HSC. But I don't want to do TOO well and burn myself out, and not TOO terrible, just like my above marks. I need the confidence and motivation to go on for the HSC. Thanks for the reply cal :), appreciate it, and that made me feel better. At least it's not the HSC YET, and I still have enough time to change and work upon my study habits.

Thanks for your advice Lyounamu. I'll probably just forget about everything, dispose of my excellence awards, good and terrible marks, and just work harder from now on. To be honest, I was really confused when I got my Economics mark today. It's just one of those days where you screw up, even though you tried hard...I just hope that doesn't happen in the HSC Final exam :uhoh:.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Future-Med-GP said:
Thanks for your advice Lyounamu. I'll probably just forget about everything, dispose of my excellence awards, good and terrible marks, and just work harder from now on. To be honest, I was really confused when I got my Economics mark today. It's just one of those days where you screw up, even though you tried hard...I just hope that doesn't happen in the HSC Final exam :uhoh:.
True. But even if you get that result in HSC Trial, it won't necessarily mean that you will expect low UAI because 50% of your UAI basically comes from your HSC exams.

Good luck & enlighten me of your great results!

Future-Med-GP

HSC
lyounamu said:
True. But even if you get that result in HSC Trial, it won't necessarily mean that you will expect low UAI because 50% of your UAI basically comes from your HSC exams.

Good luck & enlighten me of your great results!
I'll do my best in the yearly exams Lyonamu, and when I do get those results back, I will post them up on BOS. If there's a significant improvement, I hope it'll motivate others to also do their best and forget about their terrible results.

yer8899

HSC
try harder. your marks are reflecting your effort, so in order to achieve higher marks, you must put in more effort. create a study schedule, leaving time for breaks and tennis. its a pretty stupid question.

selablad

HSC
Future-Med-GP said:
First off, I'm not a troll.
Good to know :D

But yeah, don't worry, it is "only year 11" so your marks won't count, but with regards to succeeding in year 12, it is just a matter of how willing you are to put in the work required, and if you are, then everything will be awesome :D Good luck with the rest of your exams between now and HSC anyway...

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lolcal said:
It does kill your self-esteem though...

happyness

HSC
I'm in the same boat as you...
My half-yearly results weren't what I was expecting them to be, and even though I didn't do as well as I would have liked to, I know that it is only reflective of the amount of preperation I put in. As everyone is saying, it is only year 11, so use this as a learning curve :uhhuh: . Use this to motivate you to persevere and try harder for your other tasks, especially the yearly exams.

Oh, and sometimes finding an inspiration can be helpful... I personally find the quote in my sig. very inspiring and motivating."Greatness is not achieved by never falling, but by rising every time we fall.":)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lolcal said:
Not unless he makes the same mistakes next year. Best to sort these things out before Year 12.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
theshortykatt said:
SUCK IT UP MATE!

this is year 11 for you. still got a term to turn yourself around and bam! 99.5UAI.
We are. Now can you tell the 08 people saying 'it's only year 11' to shut themselves up? :wave:

zany

HSC
hmmm

i dnt know how to use this thing. . .but its got gr8 stuff =)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: hmmm

bored of sc said:
I think they mean the site in general...
It was pretty vague but I'll agree with you here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)