• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary Math - Always a nightmare!? (1 Viewer)

humph.

HSC
Hey.
So today's Tuesday and I have a math exam on Friday. The big question is:
HOW on EARTH do you study around 13 CHAPTERS of math in about 3 days?:burn:
Any suggestions? I'm not looking forward to the fail..:(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
humph. said:
Hey.
So today's Tuesday and I have a math exam on Friday. The big question is:
HOW on EARTH do you study around 13 CHAPTERS of math in about 3 days?:burn:
Any suggestions? I'm not looking forward to the fail..:(
You don't. I mean, you cannot. All you can probably do is memorise all the necessary formulas and do past papers. That seems like a way to go.

That is why you should have done some Maths everyday.

Good luck by the way.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yup, what Lyounamu said. Learn the formulas, then do past papers. :)

humph.

HSC
It seems to be the only way doesnt it? Deary me. :headbang: Thanks for the advice anyway. :wave:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
humph. said:
It seems to be the only way doesnt it? Deary me. :headbang: Thanks for the advice anyway. :wave:
No. It is the best way. :)

Be empowered by your hidden love for Maths!!! :) :) :)

humph.

HSC
3unitz said:
3 days is heaps
:( Please realise you are dealing with someone who has no special ability when it comes to maths. I find it easy understanding concepts, I just forget them about 2 minutes after I learn them. Tell me now, wouldn't you say I'm a 'special' *cough* case?

humph.

HSC
lyounamu said:
No. It is the best way. :)

Be empowered by your hidden love for Maths!!! :) :) :)
My hidden love for math must be buried so deep it's been lost to humanity. The only time I like math is when i get the questions right, and ofcourse, that's never...lol :)

morganjane

HSC
i would suggest find all your needed formulas, be sure that you can use of all of them in intense examples, or the questions that you've found difficult.
practice papers are useful; follow them to the time limit permitted, that way there is a way of grasping the mix of content.

Good Luck

God Bless

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
humph. said:
My hidden love for math must be buried so deep it's been lost to humanity. The only time I like math is when i get the questions right, and ofcourse, that's never...lol :)
Back on topic: as 3unitz said, 3 days will provide you with adequate amount of revision time. Even though you didn't seem to have revised enough, you would still have some knowledge left in your brain, right? Why not follow this routine? Following is the routine:
  1. On the first day (i.e. today), write down all the formulas on the blank paper. Make sure you know when to use them. For example, gradient formula is used to find the gradient and the distance formula is used to find the distance between two points.
  2. On the second day, do some practice questions from the textbook. Make sure that the each question is different. Try different questions at different levels.
  3. On the last day, do some past papers. Time your exam. Do it under the exam condition. You don't actually hage to do it under the exam condition, but it may help. However, some people may like to relax and do past papers in a relaxed way. (something that I wouldn't prefer to do).
  4. On the exam day, relax. Under the influence of energy drink such as V, you can perform better (or that's what I thought). V didn't help me much during my exam but it might help you. Or you may consider taking some other energy drink that will actually work. Or have a good & light breakfast that will fill your brain with constant energy flow that would enable you to nail the exam.
  5. Very lastly, good luck. :wave:

eliseliselise

HSC
dear "humph."

HUMPH!! you have HEAPS of time!! omg! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

YOU CAN ACE THE TEST.
run to your textbook; EMBRACE IT. scrawl every single formula u dont know onto a hunk of paper-- photocopy it 59594058 times, shove it EVERYWHERE [toilet door, roof of ceiling, dog kennel ec]. then, consult ur bible [in my case... mathsinfocus/terrylee/excel/fitzy] understand every example, which should be easy considering that u have already actually learnt it... and just make sure u can remember how to do it.. if not! write it out 9995690689056985 times. skip every lesson exept for maths- go to the library and STUDY. stuff the other subjects- its the last week and maths is highly important!

there is still time, turn this potential failure into a term brightener! everything you have learnt is still stuck somewhere inside ur brain [read the secret ;)] and remember "sometimes you can not remember- but you can never forget!" - spirited away!

the power is YOURS.
are you in year 10?!?! good luck, kiddo!! dont worry about year 10 classes- do maths in history! prioritise! time management! make up for your lack of other subjects after the maths test in the school holidays..
good luck!!!!!!!!!! -hands 4 leaf clover-

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Year 10 Maths? You've got to be kidding me. =\
Enjoy Year 10.

eliseliselise

HSC
Aerath said:
Enjoy Year 10.
i think he's in year 10 doing year 11... fun fun!!

just do maths. maths maths maths. everything else is like reiterated in year 11.. except for english <3 read read read!

eliseliselise

HSC
Pacchiru said:
No, year 11 maths!!
yay!!

OK now you've got enough responces-- go study!! no TV for you tonight. have to get ur friends to tape big brother for you! maths till 11pm. then you can go to bed. and wake up at 4am, and do more maths. repeat!!

just.. for the love of pythagoras.. study!!

humph.

HSC
Aerath said:
Enjoy Year 10.
LOL. I am in year 10, but I don't do Year 10 math. I'm doing prelim 2unit lol. Now that I look back at year 10 maths, it was much easier. *sigh* BUT. I WILL study 985767394057848459 hours..maybe..

mrpet3rr

HSC
13 Chapters?
I dont remember doing 13 chapters for preliminary!

You should go to your teacher and ask for the school's past papers. I'm sure your teacher would give you a few if you ask nicely.

You should then work on the past paper as a normal exam.
After you have finished the past paper you should see where your weakness and strengths are.

Concentrate on these weaknesses and again have more attempts on past papers until you have mastered them.

Good Luck!

Edit - Reminder : CRAM LIKE NO TOMOROW

humph.

HSC
eliseliselise said:
i think he's in year 10 doing year 11... fun fun!!

just do maths. maths maths maths. everything else is like reiterated in year 11.. except for english <3 read read read!
Lol. I am a female. :) Im sure i have it on my profile :)

humph.

HSC
Pacchiru said:
Good luck with that. ;) I'm going to stick to their advice on learning the formulas and hoping for the best. Think of it this way, friday is our last exam and then HOLIDAYS! -Dancedance- :)
I agree. It seems to be our best chance. And i agree, I can't wait till holidays. I am going to go into hibernation for the whole two weeks. I need it.:sleep:

eliseliselise

HSC
humph. said:
Lol. I am a female. :) Im sure i have it on my profile :)
apologies...! but together, we can break through the patriarchal glass ceiling we are forced to live under!! girl power- coz girls rock @ math. sorry, i was affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age, laden with stereotypes of males being "better" at maths than females.. but still that is no reason for me to have accidentally referred to you as a male. it must have cut deep, i would send u a sorry card with a puppy dog holding a dandelion in its mouth, but that would be kinda stalker-ish. :eek: sorry.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
My math teacher has always said that: ' a good mathematician will not need to study a lot before a test. They already have good concepts of maths, so flipping through a few questions is all it will take.'

If you are a good maths student, I reckon doing chapter Reviews will be fine. All you could just do the even numbers or odd numbers in the textbook. Only study the topics that you are not too familiar with. Do harder questions than easier ones. If doing questions are a bit of a bother, than look through your book and study the way you figured how to do a question.
Remember all your formulas as well.

Remember that the textbook is meant to give you practice, so dont spend too much time on it. Consult it if you need practice with a topic. If not, look at some questions and do it in your head. That is, just verify that you know how to do it.

shaon0

HSC
Pacchiru said:
That would help if we were a "good mathematician" But unfortunately, we're not. Maths sucks. And it's real hard. :(
lol. Maths my favourite subject...enjoy math :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)