Prepping for B Arts (1 Viewer)

Hanataro

HSC
So, for B Arts, could majoring in Economics be an option?

Could anyone recommend what I should major and minor in for a career in banking/accounting/actuary?

hahahayley

HSC
The majors you have to choose from are:
Asian Studies
Chinese Studies
Criminology
Dance Studies
Development Studies
English
Environmental Studies
European Studies
Film Studies
French Studies
German Studies
Hispanic Studies
History
Indigenous Studies
International Relations
Japanese Studies
Korean Studies
Linguistics
Media, Culture and Technology
Music
Philosophy
Politics
Sociology and Anthropology
Theatre and Performance Studies

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What's a "hipster"? Do you mean hippie?
Nope, they're different.

Really, you don't need to do anything before uni other than pick your subjects. Some things you can do though:

Choose your major
Get acquainted with with harvard referencing
Read up on plagiarism
Tour the campus
Find a place to live

If you're interested in banking/finance, you'd probably be better off in B Commerce or B Economics. Or at least it's worthwhile having one of these as part of a double.

Hanataro

HSC
The majors you have to choose from are:
Asian Studies
Chinese Studies
Criminology
Dance Studies
Development Studies
English
Environmental Studies
European Studies
Film Studies
French Studies
German Studies
Hispanic Studies
History
Indigenous Studies
International Relations
Japanese Studies
Korean Studies
Linguistics
Media, Culture and Technology
Music
Philosophy
Politics
Sociology and Anthropology
Theatre and Performance Studies
I remember reading in the UNSW 2012 Undergraduate Guide that you could pick economics as a major. So, no economics? :(
Thank you, Hayley :)

Hanataro

HSC
Nope, they're different.

Really, you don't need to do anything before uni other than pick your subjects. Some things you can do though:

Choose your major
Get acquainted with with harvard referencing
Read up on plagiarism
Tour the campus
Find a place to live

If you're interested in banking/finance, you'd probably be better off in B Commerce or B Economics. Or at least it's worthwhile having one of these as part of a double.
I tried searching "hipster" on Urban Dictionary. What's with all this 'mainstream' business? Haha.

Are strangers allowed to just walk around the UNSW campus? I missed out on the open day, so I haven't experienced the atmosphere yet.

Doing just a B Arts is my backup, backup plan. (Really don't think I'll get into B Comm right off the bat).
Could you recommend what I could major and minor in for B Arts, given the list hahahayley has provided?

Also, would this internal transfer be possible? (Given that I achieved the required WAM for this internal transfer, etc.)
- B Arts --> B Commerce (so from arts, to just commerce)

Thank you so much, AbsoluteZero! :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Or a major.

"students can complete a "Double Major" in the BA if they use space from their free elective Green Zone to upgrade their required Minor Stream to a Major Stream. This second Major Stream can be taken from within the Faculty or from the small list of approved "External Majors". External Majors are Streams of study offered by other Faculties.

Human Resource Management (48 UOC)
Australian School of Business

International Business (48 UOC)

Economics (60 UOC)

Geography (60 UOC)
Faculty of Science"

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Or a major.

"students can complete a "Double Major" in the BA if they use space from their free elective Green Zone to upgrade their required Minor Stream to a Major Stream. This second Major Stream can be taken from within the Faculty or from the small list of approved "External Majors". External Majors are Streams of study offered by other Faculties.

Economics (60 UOC)

Geography (60 UOC)
Faculty of Science"
Damn fine print.

Okay, I am corrected.

Hanataro

HSC
Or a major.

Economics (60 UOC)

Geography (60 UOC)
Faculty of Science"
Thank you, Shadowdude and Rafy!

So Economics can only be studied as a major? (I don't see Economics in the list of Minor Streams / External Minor Streams)
Does this mean that I'll have to double major within my Arts degree, if I want to study Economics?

Furthermore, if I study a double major within Arts, does that make me ineligible for an internal transfer from...
- B Arts --> B Arts/B Commerce (cannot transfer because there are too many UOC from Arts)?

Would an internal transfer from Arts to JUST Commerce be a viable option? So this means...
- B Arts --> B Commerce (this way I can double major in Arts and I won't have to worry about exceeding UOC when I transfer)

I really hope that what I'm saying makes sense... :S
I know this is heaps to ask. Thank you so much to those who have contributed. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. Economics, if I read it correctly, can be a minor or major.
2. If you take a double major in Arts, no - you can still transfer to Commerce. It's a double degree and you'll take more years of uni so you can complete the Commerce units of required credit.
3. Yes, you can transfer from Arts to Commerce but Economics is not available as a Commerce major so you'll have to change majors - and you may have to take extra time to complete your Commerce degree if you've already done too many Arts (Economics) courses.

Hanataro

HSC
1. Economics, if I read it correctly, can be a minor or major.
2. If you take a double major in Arts, no - you can still transfer to Commerce. It's a double degree and you'll take more years of uni so you can complete the Commerce units of required credit.
3. Yes, you can transfer from Arts to Commerce but Economics is not available as a Commerce major so you'll have to change majors - and you may have to take extra time to complete your Commerce degree if you've already done too many Arts (Economics) courses.
So, would this path be viable? Will I have too many UOC?

STEP 1: Study B Arts
- External major stream in Economics
- Home major stream in International Studies
- Home minor stream in Korean Studies

STEP 2: Internal transfer into double degree, from B Arts --> B Arts/B Commerce
- Keep all Arts majors & minors in addition to the new majors and minors from commerce

Thank you so much, Shadowdude!!!
:)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So, would this path be viable? Will I have too many UOC?

- Home minor stream in Korean Studies

- Keep all Arts majors & minors in addition to the new majors and minors from commerce

Thank you so much, Shadowdude!!!
:)
You can only have one major and one minor, or two majors. You can't have two majors and one minor. You're then doing too many units of credit and have no time to do them.

Unless in exceptional circumstances, I think.

Hanataro

HSC
You can only have one major and one minor, or two majors. You can't have two majors and one minor. You're then doing too many units of credit and have no time to do them.

Unless in exceptional circumstances, I think.
So this is fine...?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So this is fine...?

That seems fine. But just to double check, you should go read the Handbook stuff to see if that's permitted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)