Presentations and referencing? (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok so last tuesday i had a Psych tut and they spent an hour teaching us how to reference, talking about penalties with plagarism and what not, which is fine by me, ive used Harvard style referencing before in my essays.

The thing is that next tuesday i have to give a presentation on male and female brains and how they differ. I am going to do this via powerpoint but i was wondering. How the hell does one reference in a presentation?

i was just going to do a powerpoint like all the lecturers do, a bit of information, some interesting facts from experiments and stuff, maybe a quote or two from different scientists, and maybe an exercise[ like one of those funny shapes u can interpret different ways]

now iam scared about referencing, am i supposed to put a footnote at the end of each slide? put the brackets reference after each idea, quote and information [ instead for a quote i would have gone "male brains are more geared to reflexes where as femals are to emotional thought" - Some guy]

or should i put a reference slide at the end? or just simply do a normal presentation and then hand a sheet to the teacher with refernces at the end[and do i have to reference images?]

what happens if i dont reference in this? is that normal or will i be expelled from uni?

help please, i am first up in this presentation so i have no clue as to what is going on

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
No, no need to reference in presentations. Obviously on the slides credit direct quotes, but as far as the rest of your content goes, just make a passing reference to the sources as you explain the concepts that you got out of them.

Definitely no footnotes.

santaslayer

HSC
Just like exams. You don't go referencing the hell out of everythin. It's an exam.

jflores

HSC
I usually use IEEE style with [ ] and reference at the end of the powerpoint

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
as others have said, no need 2 reference stuff....

except if u come up wit some random fact, id say 2 include where u got it from....

also u should reference the images....well....maybe not images but the graphs and tables and shite....either say where u directly copied it from or say where u adapted it from....

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Your best bet is ask the lecturer either in person or via email.

When I had to present a seminar for first year electrical, we had to reference with [1] , [2], etc. for each paraphrased/quoted element.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If I quote or paraphrase something I'll usually reference because without it no one knows if what your saying is from a valid source or if you just made it up yourself.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
This isn't about presentations. In an essay can you have a reference and not cite it in the body of the assignment, just use it as a general topic reference?

I have an essay where I am being forced to use at least 1 book reference. And I would rather just take the name of a book I haven't read and put it into my references instead of actually going to find a book and copying a completely random sentence to satisfy the book requirement.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Without Wings said:
We've always been told only to reference books etc that we cite...if in doubt email your tutor.
I don't think my tutor would want me doing that to get out of having to go to the library but I guess I could make up some other reason.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i did my presentation and had a very very basic reference

i referenced the journal article i used[not properly though as my teacher kindly pointed out] and i said where i got my images and tables from

thing is, one of the images i used i heavily photoshopped for my own use, in that case do i still have to reference it, or can i claim i made it myself?

apparently i did ok, an because i went first and wasnt 2 sure about conventions and how they wanted stuff done,teacher said i get some leniency[what a champ]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)