• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Presidential Election (1 Viewer)

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
obama is going to be the best president ever guise

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Steady on, Romney is a decent, capable and fair man, he was a good governor of Massachusettes and would have been one of the better Presidents the United States had had. The great tragedy of politics is that whenever the Republicans do come back to power (and they eventually will) it will probably be some awful neocon lie Bush or Reagan.
But I don't get it

I see very little distinction between Obama and Bush because there seems to be very little distinction between them apart from race and rhetoric. In what ways have they differed in substance as opposed to style?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
that post is stoopid, and i can think of a reasonable response to almost all of the points. which is kind of besides the point anyways, because americans don't elect a new government every four years but rather one guy who brings a bunch of other guys along with him, and to criticise the continuity between the last guy and the new guy is facile and conceited. moreover, the post is just another example of the shitty archetype of hackneyed libertarian and idealist blogs and for that reason is even more stoopid

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You don't consider Bush starting two major wars in his first term at all significant?
Yes I do, but Obama continued (and escalated) them for years. He also gave material and military support (iirc) to a fighting force in Libya without ascertaining the type of group he was supporting.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Escalated? How so? Incidentally Libya and Iraq are classic examples of the right and wrong way to go about regime change.
Introduced more troops and increased the defence budget. I will give him credit, he has scaled them back from Iraq since, but he didn't meet the date he made in his 2008 election promise.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The Iraq & Afghanistan wars were certainly justified. The US needs to go into Syria immediately now though.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
and do what precisely?
Clear out the government/militants, run the country for the short term, then in the long term help to establish a democratically elected government who can work with America to help improve the lives of the Syrian people.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I do, but Obama continued (and escalated) them for years. He also gave material and military support (iirc) to a fighting force in Libya without ascertaining the type of group he was supporting.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Clear out the government/militants, run the country for the short term, then in the long term help to establish a democratically elected government who can work with America to help improve the lives of the Syrian people.
lol

halapenyo

HSC
lol

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Right and you think putting US troops on the ground is going to make them more or less likely to give popular (democratic) support to a government palatable to the US?
If done correctly, more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)