Private or selctive? (1 Viewer)

slix_88

HSC
I am experiencing a huge crisis at the moment. That main problem is to choose between Patrician Brothers college at Fairfield, or Girraween. I sucessfully got accepted into both, however, each school has a negative aspect to it.

Pat ---------> Closer (less transport) and lower in academics.
Girraween -> Farther (have to catch 3 buses including the T-way) and higher academics.

I also want to know where I can get my hands on a source explaining the ranks for each school.

Because my school only goes up to yr 10, I really need to choose either one of these schools to attend for the remaining 2 years.

somethingwitty

HSC
I'd personally go to selective.

Transport wouldn't be any big deal, definitely worth an extra couple of minutes to get some higher-quality learning.

I go to a selective school myself, and hearing about my friend's schools, mostly Inner West public HS's, i think i have it much better. I too have to travel more to get to my school (~20km, no big deal)

Maybe you could find someone on here who goes to Giraween ( i know there are some) or Pats.

Sure they could help.

C

..:MizJay:..

Super Supre Member
HSC
i went to a private school for the 6 years of my high school ed.. and compared to the local selective school.. well, ill just say head to the private. they have better facilities, discipline, teaching, resources and good funding. the selective school near me, theyre all smoking pot by yr 8, and u wouldnt have a clue they were gifted kids at all if u drove past the school. its the biggest hole. its like any other public school. my school was a moderately priced private (around 5k a yr) and it gave us so many more opportunities than what they get.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
what school is this?

i go to fort st, and yeah theres a pretty strong pot culture, but it's also a great environment to learn in, i really love it. i personally recommend the selective school unless you're like being spoonfed.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I went to Girraween, there isn't much of a drug culture at all. I would argue that among the students, it's probably the most well-rounded public school, with a great balance between academia, sports and social interaction. You'll find that unlike schools like Baulko and Ruse, there isn't as much of a competitive environment, though this is changing.

The learning environment is very stimulating, though if you were going four years ago it would have been better. Girraween also has rather good technological facilities nowadays. You'll also benefit from the travel time, to study and such.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You have to remember that the selective school only has a higher ranking because they pick their students, so their education is not necessarily better. I was faced with the exact same scenario you have described in year 7, went private, and never looked back.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
the reason i enjoy the education i'm getting is because you're in an environment with like minded people, you're not spoonfed, you're expected to act like an adult and in return you get treated like an adult, individuality is encouraged, our education is not dictated by dogma (as opposed to many private schools) and it's a productive environment.

for the record, using the fact that people smoke pot as an example of why a school sucks is utterly retarded. i smoke pot every once in a while. does it make me a bad person? hell no, and it doesn't mean that i'm not a good student, and the fact that say 10-20% of my grade smoke pot on a relatively regular basis doesn't mean that we're not good students or people.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
glycerine said:
the reason i enjoy the education i'm getting is because you're in an environment with like minded people, you're not spoonfed, you're expected to act like an adult and in return you get treated like an adult, individuality is encouraged, our education is not dictated by dogma (as opposed to many private schools) and it's a productive environment.

for the record, using the fact that people smoke pot as an example of why a school sucks is utterly retarded. i smoke pot every once in a while. does it make me a bad person? hell no, and it doesn't mean that i'm not a good student, and the fact that say 10-20% of my grade smoke pot on a relatively regular basis doesn't mean that we're not good students or people.
It expands your creative writing ability:p

My school, despite being run by an order of brothers, is probably less strict than most other Catholic schools in the area (ie no stupid rules like no shops after school while in uniform etc), and while Christian faith is encouraged, it is by no means forced upon you. There's also a wide variety of academic activities (eg debating) and sporting ones (rugby, soccer, league, tennis, basketball etc), so development of individual interests is also actively encouraged.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
withoutaface said:
It expands your creative writing ability:p

My school, despite being run by an order of brothers, is probably less strict than most other Catholic schools in the area (ie no stupid rules like no shops after school while in uniform etc), and while Christian faith is encouraged, it is by no means forced upon you. There's also a wide variety of academic activities (eg debating) and sporting ones (rugby, soccer, league, tennis, basketball etc), so development of individual interests is also actively encouraged.
Two of my neighbours, a friend & her bf went to Oakhill... haven't heard anything but positives about it. The thought of going to an all boys school was too uncomfortable for me ... *sigh* Crestwood was ok the year I joined :p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hahah I hardly remember the single sex component since chicks came in year 11:p

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
I dont think personally you should be asking for advice as to which school to go to as obviously certain people are extremely biased towards their schools and are blinded to any negatives...

the best thing to do is more to ask people who go to these schools what they like and dont like about their school and that sorta thing..

asking "should i go 2 school a or b" wont really give you any decent kinda basis for a decision cos i mean, its not like you'll die if you pick the 'wrong' school, but picking the best one for you can have huge positive impacts upon ur success in HSC
*applauds*

Well said. Very well said.

Perhaps you could "visit" each school for a day. That'd let you get a feel for the vibe of the place. :)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
LaraB said:
I dont think personally you should be asking for advice as to which school to go to as obviously certain people are extremely biased towards their schools and are blinded to any negatives...

the best thing to do is more to ask people who go to these schools what they like and dont like about their school and that sorta thing..
Sorry, I'm just a little confused by your post. Isn't asking people who go to these schools asking for a biased opinion anyway?

larab said:
asking "should i go 2 school a or b" wont really give you any decent kinda basis for a decision cos i mean, its not like you'll die if you pick the 'wrong' school, but picking the best one for you can have huge positive impacts upon ur success in HSC
I don't believe it will have a "huge" impact. If an individual wants to succeed they will do so, no matter what the circumstances are. As people have pointed out in numerous other threads there are so many other ways to get help now even if you do go to a "crappy" school.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
withoutaface said:
Hahah I hardly remember the single sex component since chicks came in year 11:p
Pfft, the no of chicks relative to guys is still very small.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
I went to Girraween as well, though i only finished this year as an 04er. I changed to Girraween and it has definitely benefited me. I agree with glycerine, you;re in an environment with like minded people, you're not the "odd one out". Girraween is a very good school, though most people would argue about its state now regarding who runs it. Nonetheless, it shouldnt stop you from going
To get to Girraween, you do not need to catch four busses: Catch the train from Fairfield station -> Pendle Hill station, and a bus will wait for you. On the way home, you'll have to go to Granville and switch since most services on the Cumberland line are cancelled. PM me for details :)
There is GREAT competition at Girraween. You're competeting against 139 other kids that are elite as you, if not, better. Needless to say, Pats Fairfield does have competition too, just not as much. My friend went there and he was competitng pretty hard to get first in his subjects.
Rank in schools are determined by the number of Band 6's the school gets each year in the HSC in any subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)