Private Schools? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johony

HSC
just for the record on a all-round schooling basis i believe private schools are far better, but i would have preffered to go to the local government high school
paradox? what would the local government offer over the private school?

also i'm guessing you go to a GPS school, probably newington; since you don't sound like a complete idiot

jubz

HSC
i go to a private catholic school and they are always boasting at assemblies about how great we are, and it is always in the paper when we raise money for stuff. that sucks. but the equipment we have is really good, and they offer a lot of subjects that other schools in this area don't, like languages and extension subjects, so that's a good thing. I know it's already been said but it is about the individual - the school can only provide so much. there are still high achievers in public schools and burnouts in private schools. and my parents work their asses off to keep me and my brother in this school, so it's definitely not about money, but more about personal choices and the 'idea' of the school people want to go to. if they think private schools are better, that's where they'll go.

danielle..

is awesome.
HSC
personally, i think that the values that they instill at private/catholic schools are better. Students are taught to take pride in their school, their work, their appearence etc, which are valuable after school. Also, the sense of social justice is really good. I don't think that there is anything wrong with public schools, and i know that some of them out-perform private schools, but some have just earnt themselves a bad reputation. I went to a catholic primary school and now I go to a Catholic high school. Ultimately, i think the only people who can truely comment are those who have experienced public and private.

renny 123

HSC
I'd send my kids to a public school.
Although a private school might have better resources, i think it all relies on how much effort the child is willing to put in.

I go to a public school and i think that they tend to teach and help the child gain important life skills. But thats just my opinion...
I agree.. I used to go to a private school and hated it. The teachers were no better and the cohort were no more intelligent.
I have gone to a public school now for 5 years and love it :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
i'd send my kids to a private school if i were living in a bad area, or my kids weren't good enough to go to a selective school.
Agreed. And sometimes it's not (just) about the academics--what if you want your kid to be well rounded?

johony

HSC
Agreed. And sometimes it's not (just) about the academics--what if you want your kid to be well rounded?
i don't think there are any schools out there which produce the perfectly rounded student, despite if they claim to do so. with that said, i'd look for a place which provides the most opportunities, even if they are jack of all trades; master of none.

i think the most important aspect of the school i would choose would be somewhere which represents a good cross-section of society - imo selective schools (ironically) do this the best: rich, poor, dumb, smart, asian, white, asian..did i mention asian?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
i don't think there are any schools out there which produce the perfectly rounded student, despite if they claim to do so. with that said, i'd look for a place which provides the most opportunities, even if they are jack of all trades; master of none.

i think the most important aspect of the school i would choose would be somewhere which represents a good cross-section of society - imo selective schools (ironically) do this the best: rich, poor, dumb, smart, asian, white, asian..did i mention asian?
:uhhuh:

shabsy

HSC
your just all jealous of us private schools we are just generally better at life than all you public school scum ahhaha peasants

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
your just all jealous of us private schools we are just generally better at life than all you public school scum ahhaha peasants
LOL - just cause you guys at Joeys are infested with swine flu. :)
Someone get me a pipe or whatever it is you're smoking.

renny 123

HSC
Perfect example of a non-well rounded person. You wont succeed with an attitude like that, no matter how bright you are!

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
The grammar and punctuation doesn't do much to convince us of your superiority :p :)

jules.09

HSC
personally, i think that the values that they instill at private/catholic schools are better. Students are taught to take pride in their school, their work, their appearence etc, which are valuable after school. Also, the sense of social justice is really good. I don't think that there is anything wrong with public schools, and i know that some of them out-perform private schools, but some have just earnt themselves a bad reputation. I went to a catholic primary school and now I go to a Catholic high school. Ultimately, i think the only people who can truely comment are those who have experienced public and private.
There is a double standard that exists in this comment, as highlighted above.

I don't think this is necessarily true. These values etc, especially in catholic schools are by definition, denominational. They are "catholic" values. When you go to a public school, you would generally get the whole spectrum of what is present in society, and as a result, you are exposed to what society is like. You get "secular values".

Relatively speaking, you aren't quite as sheltered. People who attend public schools come from all sorts of socio-economic backgrounds, different denominations, different creed, race etc.

In this regard, I feel ardently about public education. I think that, people are misinformed in saying their children should go to a private school rather than the local public, because that's where they'll learn invaluable life schools and grow up to be refined etc.

If you're going to go to a private school, attain a scholarship offer. Otherwise, attempt to gain entrance into your local selective high school. That's one environment, I will guarantee money cannot buy.

jules.09

HSC
LOL - just cause you guys at Joeys are infested with swine flu. :)
Someone get me a pipe or whatever it is you're smoking.
Yes, while we smoke we can revel in our state school peasantry. It's not our fault our school only ranks in the top ten. :p

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I'm currently in year 11, having gone to a fairly prestigious private school for my high school years, but this year changed to a public college.
I don't really have a preference between the two,
but I feel that the public college will prepare me "better" for adult life after i finish year 12, than the private school, as the general atmosphere in the college is a lot more realistic to the the outside world, than it was in the private school.
As far as fees go, my annual college fees are the equivalent to 2 weeks at the private school.
Due to the TCE (equivalent to HSC) being a state-wide thing, I had no real doubts about my academic results, as both private and public schools have to provide an adequate schooling system to complete the Certificate.
As I said earlier, I really have no preference between the two, apart from missing my old high school friends, as they are still all together, and I have moved on.
Even more prestigious now you've left and I'm vice, lulz!

Freddie09

HSC
This one is easy to answer, just don't go to school at all. I mean, why bother when there is so much other stuff to be doing? why waste more than 12 years of your life at SCHOOL? i mean what is the point? And hell, there are SO many other things that you could be doing that are much more interesting.

Protein

HSC
well i know personally i dont want my kids at a public school. but thats just me.
I think the first consideration is the location of the school. For Primary I won't send my kids to a prestigious Private if there is a great public or catholic school nearby.

For High School, if you can afford prestigious private (top tear 20K + annually) you might as well send them. The amount of activities at top Private would be value for money in long term. The environment and discipline would be in high standard.

For example, In Sydney, everage top 20 of Grammar Graduates would be offered scholarship locally as well as internationally. Top 10 for Shore, Knox, Abbotsleigh, Pymble. Top 5 at PLC Croydon, MLC, Ravenswood, Darlinghurst, etc.

Best value: High - Play GPS & 1K/year contribution.

HSC
I think the first consideration is the location of the school. For Primary I won't send my kids to a prestigious Private if there is a great public or catholic school nearby.

For High School, if you can afford prestigious private (top tear 20K + annually) you might as well send them. The amount of activities at top Private would be value for money in long term. The environment and discipline would be in high standard.

For example, In Sydney, everage top 20 of Grammar Graduates would be offered scholarship locally as well as internationally. Top 10 for Shore, Knox, Abbotsleigh, Pymble. Top 5 at PLC Croydon, MLC, Ravenswood, Darlinghurst, etc.

Best value: High - Play GPS & 1K/year contribution.
i agree with the location thing. i meant that i wouldnt send them to a public school in the location i am in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)