problems with anti-discrimination act 1977? (1 Viewer)

bEAbEA

HSC
can anyone think of any problems associated with the anti discrimination act 1977? I am in the process of evaluating its suitability, and i just need some more improvements that can be made...
i'm stuck

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
bEAbEA said:
can anyone think of any problems associated with the anti discrimination act 1977? I am in the process of evaluating its suitability, and i just need some more improvements that can be made...
i'm stuck
if you use the individual effectiveness criteria PAREE- the problems are obvious:

Protection of the individual- Victim is vulnerable to further discrimination when they hold a case. Use Anti-Discrimination 1977 (NSW) to show how the government has intervened.

Access to the courts- Costs of Anti-Discrimination board.

Resources- Anti-Discrimination Board- 88% of complaints were finalised in 12 months (resources required to cover this).

Equality- Unbalanced

Enforcement- Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999 (Cwlth) forced implementation of 'affirmative action'.

Jurisdictional- Federal IR system (proposed) --> effects.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Huratio said:
if you use the individual effectiveness criteria PAREE- the problems are obvious:

Protection of the individual- Victim is vulnerable to further discrimination when they hold a case. Use Anti-Discrimination 1977 (NSW) to show how the government has intervened.

Access to the courts- Costs of Anti-Discrimination board.

Resources- Anti-Discrimination Board- 88% of complaints were finalised in 12 months (resources required to cover this).

Equality- Unbalanced

Enforcement- Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999 (Cwlth) forced implementation of 'affirmative action'.

Jurisdictional- Federal IR system (proposed) --> effects.
for the first point - judicial discretion, many judges are old men, conservative, decision may be biased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)