Procrastination (1 Viewer)

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
You're in for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong year my friend.

Aysce

HSC
Many people are in the same boat. Try to make your procrastination productive - I did by procrastinating with maths :)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
nah it's me too >.<" did nothing this weekend lolz

Amogh

HSC
N/A
It's a common thing you'll face through the year.

Exactly when you need to stay focused, your brain decides to take a huge dump.

Create a strict study regime. And this doesn't have to be some blanket routine you have THROUGH the entire year. I would have other commitments all the time (much like you guys would) and so made a specific timeline for each day as it came. Do this while you're on the the train (say) about to get home.

Simply look at what is an acceptable accomplishment for the day, look at what time you have and allocate.

And make sure you stay away from things that distract you. For e.g. the computer was a big one for me. I would simply make sure I don't even head near it until later in the evening when I wanted to relax.

inb4 relaxing jokes

gleeek

HSC
I'm with ya! And yeah, like the person above me said, we should create some sort of study strict study plan or we will continue with our procrastination for a long, long time.

jackl25

HSC
I'm a first year uni student... as I type this, I'm playing music, eating corn chips, talking with my siblings - all the while, my stats notes lay undisturbed - my exams are in just over a week. Procrastination is normal, you can't study constantly.

I'll tell you what I told the Year 12's of 2012. Doing something is better than nothing. When you get home from work at 10PM on a Thursday night, memorise just one formula for maths, or the meaning of a single BOS key word. It leaves you in so much better standing than if you had just gone to bed.

It's November. There are very few people that will have started studying as of yet. And you'll soon find that in Year 12, it will be hard to just sit down and study. In my HSC year, I didn't start studying until at least June, and then only lightly. Its just the nature of Year 12. Pacing yourself is key.

iBibah

HSC
I'm a first year uni student... as I type this, I'm playing music, eating corn chips, talking with my siblings - all the while, my stats notes lay undisturbed - my exams are in just over a week. Procrastination is normal, you can't study constantly.

I'll tell you what I told the Year 12's of 2012. Doing something is better than nothing. When you get home from work at 10PM on a Thursday night, memorise just one formula for maths, or the meaning of a single BOS key word. It leaves you in so much better standing than if you had just gone to bed.

It's November. There are very few people that will have started studying as of yet. And you'll soon find that in Year 12, it will be hard to just sit down and study. In my HSC year, I didn't start studying until at least June, and then only lightly. Its just the nature of Year 12. Pacing yourself is key.
You make it seem like its impossible not to procrastinate. If someone wants to do well badly enough and is in the right mindset, then they will not procrastinate. When you procrastinate, you are bored of studies, tired of studying or don't recognise the importance of studying. If you wanted to get the marks really badly, those two would never occur.

Take an assessment for an example, when you start the day before, many people work hours without stopping just to finish it. Why couldn't they do that 2 weeks ago?

MiPh

HSC
If you're like me, procrastination is good thing. Liek seriously. Cram in mornings for tests and pull all-nighters for assignments. Worked for me, hasn't worked for anyone else in my grade though...

Aysce

HSC
If you're like me, procrastination is good thing. Liek seriously. Cram in mornings for tests and pull all-nighters for assignments. Worked for me, hasn't worked for anyone else in my grade though...
What are your marks like out of curiosity? Pulling all-nighters for assignments is terrible both physically and emotionally, although I admittedly did that for 1-2 of my assignments this year... Scored well though :)

BlakeOlivo

HSC
Uni Grad
Cramming for assignments...best adrenaline rush! Look, Im surprised you are worrying about procrastinating now! Even to this day, the night before my SDD exam, I am procrastinating! Its in human nature, don't worry, as long as you can fit in some study now, you shall be fine in the future :)

MiPh

HSC
Marks? Hold on while I trudge through my stacks of paper. Top mark 90% for a seven page transistor and semiconductor assignment that was also a presentation on the morning for which I had to make a model and explain stuff. I was up 36 hours straight, starting at 9pm, finishing 7.30am working non-stop. No coffee. Admittedly I was on a strange high for the whole presentation, but still fun. Emotionally, it's pretty hard to keep it together between the hours of 3-6am. Painful, exciting and I don't regret one minute of it.

And I've done this for every assignment over the last two years. (Although, I always wake up at 5am on English speech days to write and remember). That speech was like 90% and (equal) top mark out of 110 people.

Aysce

HSC
Marks? Hold on while I trudge through my stacks of paper. Top mark 90% for a seven page transistor and semiconductor assignment that was also a presentation on the morning for which I had to make a model and explain stuff. I was up 36 hours straight, starting at 9pm, finishing 7.30am working non-stop. No coffee. Admittedly I was on a strange high for the whole presentation, but still fun. Emotionally, it's pretty hard to keep it together between the hours of 3-6am. Painful, exciting and I don't regret one minute of it.

And I've done this for every assignment over the last two years. (Although, I always wake up at 5am on English speech days to write and remember). That speech was like 90% and (equal) top mark out of 110 people.
Haha nice!

Yeah when I pulled an all-nighter and worked non-stop for an exam and assignment in year 11 (lol), I was at breaking point but that feeling of relief afterwards is PRICELESS.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
This is useful for anyone suffering extreme procrastination, I tried it out today and must say it worked quite well.

http://getcoldturkey.com/

"Cold Turkey is a free/open source program that you can use to temporarily block yourself off of popular social media sites, addicting websites, online games and whatever else you want!"

Capt Rifle

HSC
This is useful for anyone suffering extreme procrastination, I tried it out today and must say it worked quite well.

http://getcoldturkey.com/

"Cold Turkey is a free/open source program that you can use to temporarily block yourself off of popular social media sites, addicting websites, online games and whatever else you want!"
Wow thanks, I could really use this too assist me in this horrid phase of assignments

Kat92

HSC
Is it just me?
No you are not alone, procrastination eventually takes hold at some point in ones life.

A few tips that I will give include:

1. Get a piece of paper and remove the "mind-clutter" by mind mapping things that you would rather be doing or are yet to have done and put this aside. They will still be there later for you to deal with after your studying.

2. Breathe and reassure yourself. (Brings your focus back to the task at hand.)

3. Identify your aims and goals. -- What ATAR do you want? What sort of job do you want? ....

4. Reward yourself. If you have achieved and mastered a certain concept a break or reward can be good.

5. Avoid distractions and technology if possible. (Ultimately, you need a dedicated area that is quiet and one that you associate with study).

Some other suggestions that I have heard may work:
• Chose a time in the day you’re likely to be productive. For example, you might be a night person.
• Chose an appropriate place to work, for instance, find a quiet spot to read a chapter.
• Imagine your self doing the job easily and enjoying the experience.
• Use a semester planner to note when assessments are due. Set up a weekly schedule that includes time for study, work, friends and family etc. Write a daily list.
• Prioritise. Write a “to do” list.
• Break tasks into smaller chunks.
• Allocate time to task. Do you tend to underestimate or overestimate the time required?
• Get started just for five minutes and then decide whether to continue.
• Set a specific amount of time and see what you get done.
• Do small tasks when you think of them.
• You can tackle a task by doing the easiest part first or the one you like best to gain momentum.
• Focus your mind if you find yourself becoming distracted. You might be interested in learning more about mindfulness. Slow breathing techniques are also useful to calm your body and mind.
• Take short frequent breaks – go outside, get fresh air, listen to music for 10 minutes each hour.
• Swap tasks or change the type of activity you’re doing.
• Use your assertive communication skills to say no to distractions.
• Plan rewards, for example, “When I finish this report I’ll go to the movies with my friend.”
• Self monitor by checking in with yourself and recording what you’re achieved.
• Register for motivational e-mails.

Above all, as others have mentioned you still need to take time out to find the balance between the things you love and study! Once you find the balance between the two-- procrastination should slowly decrease. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)