Procreation of the hereditarily disabled (1 Viewer)

Should procreation between people with major hereditary diseases be frowned upon?

• Yes

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Kwayera said:
Law of the jungle. *shrug*
In that case, can you go back upstairs to your treehouse and let the men finish this conversation (and also picking the lice off one another's backs)

Law of the jungle is hogwash. That evolved humans don't subscribe to this outdated view and haven't for quite some time is evidence, imo, that this "law" isn't part of our genetic makeup anymore.

I argue that it is inhumane, but presents less of a moral dilemma than simply killing any problematic child.

EDIT: And I object to the phrase "forcing a child to be born", as if there were any other real choice for the child. It's like advocating the death penalty for cases of self defense: Either kill or be killed.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I argue that it is inhumane, but presents less of a moral dilemma than simply killing any problematic child.
I guess you don't support voluntary euthanasia, either, then?

EDIT: And I object to the phrase "forcing a child to be born", as if there were any other real choice for the child. It's like advocating the death penalty for cases of self defense: Either kill or be killed.
Well you're forcing a child to be born with and live with potentially horrible symptoms, or condemning them to a very short and painful life for some diseases. You'd prefer that?

How primitive.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Kwayera said:
I guess you don't support voluntary euthanasia, either, then?
What someone does to their own self is their own business. What are you trying to lure me in to here?

Kwayera said:
How primitive.
If the progressive course of treatment is the death of anything remotely inconvinient, then feel free to call me primitive.

Personally, I find your preferred course of action (kill with fire) for any problem to be abhorrent from every perspective.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If the progressive course of treatment is the death of anything remotely inconvinient, then feel free to call me primitive.

Personally, I find your preferred course of action (kill with fire) for any problem to be abhorrent from every perspective.
We put other animals - potentially sentient ones - to sleep if they have irreparable disease or injury, and we prevent them from being born in the case of genetic disease that would cause them long-term, incurable suffering had they lived.

Why are humans any different in this context?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I eat sheep, therefore I should eat hoomans too
science

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
ahaaha fuckyuck kway
fuckyuck mang

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The jokes are there but I'm not making them.

Bad potential priest.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm sorry, but I seem to frequently stray into a thread where Kwayera happens to be describing her sex-life with Schroe, or other such personal habits, in some unflattering detail

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm sorry, but I seem to frequently stray into a thread where Kwayera happens to be describing her sex-life with Schroe, or other such personal habits, in some unflattering detail
It's an effective Iron-deterrent, I've found

Scissors

HSC
i think we should round up all the disabled people and rip their reproductive organs out.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
We put other animals - potentially sentient ones - to sleep if they have irreparable disease or injury, and we prevent them from being born in the case of genetic disease that would cause them long-term, incurable suffering had they lived.

Why are humans any different in this context?
cause

omg we're all animals though :( :eek:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
If a child is conceived before it's parents are aware that they have whatever genes they have, then the decision to abort or not becomes the personal responsibility of the parents, I don't think we should be able to just say that they must abort. I probably would abort, but that's me, I'm not going to force that decision on another person.

However where the parents are aware of the risks before conception I would like to see alternative ways to have children encouraged and explored first (e.g. adoption). I still would not be comfortable with banning such parents from reproducing altogether but it would definitely be in everybody's best interests if other options were explored as priority.

It's a pretty uncomfortable situation all round, though. Once the kid is concieved the parents have 2 options (assuming that the outcome is not 100% certain):

1. Abort the foetus/embryo and live with that decision, bearing in mind that there would likely have been some chance that a healthy baby could have been born.
2. Have it and live with the guilt should it turn out to be horribly mangled.

Neither option seems obviously preferable over the other IMO.

Perhaps it ought to be mandatory for people planning a family to be screened for major hereditary disorders?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Appauling breach of privacy

I dont think that it's very enlightened to simply state that there is nothing that can be learned or gained from giving the disabled a dignified existence. It's a marker of a society's compassion and love - it's very decency. We all have a stake in maintaining this civilized status quo.
Not everything boils down to a crude profit/loss analysis. Shame on anyone who suggests otherwise

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
cd said:
Neither option seems obviously preferable over the other IMO.
This is because you don't value life and have no soul.

Terry Schiavo must be rolling around in her premature grave.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
Not everything boils down to a crude profit/loss analysis.
Free market babies. if the market wants retards then the parents will produce retards. we've no right to intervene in the reproductive free market. this also presents another chapter in the case of "the infinite series against abortion"

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
This is because you don't value life and have no soul.

Terry Schiavo must be rolling around in her premature grave.
:confused:

I was just saying it's not a completely clear cut issue is all.

Once the kid is concieved those are your options and neither one seems particularly pleasant to contemplate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)