• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Professional paper writing (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
For HSC Distinction Course task, I am supposed to write a professional paper.

I have already finished writing on it however there are few areas that I reckon that I need to brush off on.

Okay, here are some of the questions:

1. David (professor) told me to put headings and stuff on the paper. Here, can I have big titles and sub-tites for each big titles?
  2. Professional paper is like an essay, right? That's how I wrote this.
  3. In the question, they said the length shoudl be app. 2000 words but I have 2200, you reckon it is okay?
Thanks

BTW, I wasn't sure where to put this question.

AND PLEASE ANSWER THEM AS PROMPTLY AS YOU CAN. Thanks!!!

Baggygreen408

HSC
having seen some university papers in the past, i would assume it appears more professional to simply place titles and subtitles in the font used for the body of the work, perhaps in bold or underlined, rather than usin wordart. and yes, professional papers appear as essays most of the time- in this case it does

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks to all replies so far. But I still need moar information and advices...it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
2200 words seems fine if the 10% over/under rule is applied, assuming it is similar (or identical) to a university assessment.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
2200 words seems fine if the 10% over/under rule is applied, assuming it is similar (or identical) to a university assessment.
Oh...really. Yeah, I think standard rule of a university assessment applies for this.

So I shouldn't lose any mark in anyway for having extra 200 words?

Thanks btw

dp624

HSC
I'd just bold or underline the titles; same size font.
I think to be 100% sure, go for 2000 words. i'm sure you can cut down somewhere, plus it's good practice to write succintly

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks.

I should have some sub-titltes too right?

dp624

HSC
yeah; maybe bold for titles, and underlined or italic subtitles

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll be fine Namu. I'm sure you can approach an assessment at a very formal and professional level. I guess it's just practice (I like to make all my assessments look professional and once the teacher for science in Year 10 deducted 10% for plagarism because it was 'beyond a year 10 capability and set out' :O. i couldn't argue the point with the dope).

I hope your paper turns out well.

I wish I could do cosmology. I would be great fun!

VampireGirl

HSC
Namu, why don't you post these specific questions on our cosmology forum set up by Tallen, that way past cosmo students and Rob can give you some really helpful advice. Also David said to email him with any questions or queries, he is pretty quick with his replies:) or PM me, i do cosmo too.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Namu, why don't you post these specific questions on our cosmology forum set up by Tallen, that way past cosmo students and Rob can give you some really helpful advice. Also David said to email him with any questions or queries, he is pretty quick with his replies:) or PM me, i do cosmo too.
hahaha thanks ayisha. yeah I forgot about that. But I managed it well :)

Dumbledore

HSC
this is just what my software design and development teacher said (i don't necessarily agree on it) titles and subtitles use san serif fonts and normal writing uses serif fonts if handed by paper, use san serif fonts for everything if u submit by computer because the printer goes deeper down in the pixels and the small serif fonts are slighty off when viewed on a screen but not when viewed on paper.

if u have no idea what i'm talking about, serif fonts are with the tails like this times new roman font which looks terrible on a computer but is a MS word standard which is normally printed

sans serif is without the tails coming out of each of the words

hope that helps

Brontecat

HSC
this is just what my software design and development teacher said (i don't necessarily agree on it) titles and subtitles use san serif fonts and normal writing uses serif fonts if handed by paper, use san serif fonts for everything if u submit by computer because the printer goes deeper down in the pixels and the small serif fonts are slighty off when viewed on a screen but not when viewed on paper.

if u have no idea what i'm talking about, serif fonts are with the tails like this times new roman font which looks terrible on a computer but is a MS word standard which is normally printed

sans serif is without the tails coming out of each of the words

hope that helps
thats what my ist teacher used to say too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)