programming languages? (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Any programming languages that you can sort of self-teach yourself?

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't do Comp sci, but I am doing a programming unit this sem.

I suggest you learn both (if you can) c++ and Java.

Just get familiar with those languages, because a bit of background knowledge can help

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I would strongly advise against C++, not a beginner friendly language. A lot of design decisions made were/are for ensuring backwards compatibility with C or for consistency within the language, and it's lagged behind other languages due to how standardised it is and how long it takes new standards to come out.

Java is a good bet if you want something you'll learn at uni as most universities use it in introductory subjects (or introductory OO classes if they go with something like C first). But if you just want to learn a bit about programming, Python would be a good choice.

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
I would strongly advise against C++, not a beginner friendly language. A lot of design decisions made were/are for ensuring backwards compatibility with C or for consistency within the language, and it's lagged behind other languages due to how standardised it is and how long it takes new standards to come out.

Java is a good bet if you want something you'll learn at uni as most universities use it in introductory subjects (or introductory OO classes if they go with something like C first). But if you just want to learn a bit about programming, Python would be a good choice.
Yea, I started out with Python. Really easy to use and learn in comparison to other languages - plus there's heaps of guides and tutorials online!

For some reason, my friend's programming unit at unsw is using c++, whereas in UWS im using Java. Really weird

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
so my software design and ipt teacher says that in sydney uni, Python is really popular, and thats what they teach you first thing when you do a degree. He knows because he did software there - and has a ton of awesome notes and tutorials! Also, phython has a lot of resources online, and imo is quite beginner friendly and can do lots of things. The other language used in other unis (apparently) is Java. This has a lot of relevance in what people do these days with lots of opportunities of object orientated programming.

I heard however, that the money is all in php for dynamic websites these days. also some form of C.

all this is what i got from 3 years of random blabber that my software teacher occansionally rambles about so some of it may be false.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yea, I started out with Python. Really easy to use and learn in comparison to other languages - plus there's heaps of guides and tutorials online!

For some reason, my friend's programming unit at unsw is using c++, whereas in UWS im using Java. Really weird
I dont think UNSW do C++, i'm sure they'd teach a C++ subject as an elective or something but I don't believe it's what you learn in the intro or even core subjects. They do however start off with C.

I heard Programming Fundamentals at UWS used to be in C++ though - have they changed it now?

so my software design and ipt teacher says that in sydney uni, Python is really popular, and thats what they teach you first thing when you do a degree. He knows because he did software there - and has a ton of awesome notes and tutorials!
I think the introductory courses at Usyd are Java too. However the National Computer Science School which is run in the break at Usyd for high school students is done in Python - so that might have been what you heard.

I heard however, that the money is all in php for dynamic websites these days.
PHP is dying, there'll still be jobs around for ages but there's a shift towards other languages for web development now. JavaScript in particular now is being used as a full stack language.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
I dont think UNSW do C++, i'm sure they'd teach a C++ subject as an elective or something but I don't believe it's what you learn in the intro or even core subjects. They do however start off with C.

I heard Programming Fundamentals at UWS used to be in C++ though - have they changed it now?

I think the introductory courses at Usyd are Java too. However the National Computer Science School which is run in the break at Usyd for high school students is done in Python - so that might have been what you heard.

PHP is dying, there'll still be jobs around for ages but there's a shift towards other languages for web development now. JavaScript in particular now is being used as a full stack language.
ah see sorry my info was flawed! thanks for clearing it up :D

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad

Not sure of past programming languages used other than java, they probably have used different ones in the past?

Oh, well my mate's doing something that's got to do with programming, don't know the course name, but he's using c++

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
C and Java are good starting points imo and there are heaps of stuff on the internet about it to learn from such as codeacademy, youtube, tutorialspoint

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

No. At UNSW all of first year is pure C, certain maths courses and possibly physics (depends between comp sci, soft eng and comp eng).

After that you can learn other programming languages.

C is a good start. Other languages can expand your knowledge and give you good habits.

I heard however, that the money is all in php for dynamic websites these days. also some form of C.
It's not just all about the language now though. It is also about the person themselves and their tool set (tool set doesn't necessarily mean they need to know that language first, as some people are really good and can pick up a language quite quickly).

If someone is really proficient at coding and has the right tool set then they can pick up and self learn a number of other languages themselves.

keepLooking

HSC
Are you planning to do Comp Sci Astro?

I've heard Python may be the starting language at UWS, other unis im not too sure.

If you start with C it will be very solid, just getting the basics will help you if you wish to learn other languages too.

Flop21

HSC
Do whatever language the uni you are going to teaches - maybe start learning the first language they teach. Like others have said all are able to be learned by yourself.

turntaker

HSC
astroman,
first find a problem that you find interesting and want to solve
then choose a language, ANY language which will allow you to solve that problem. Don't just start learning a language just to learn it, learn it to solve a problem.

For me, I started on visual basic. It was really cool and allowed me to make small windows applications in visual basic really quickly. Then I decided to move on from it cause it was teaching me bad coding habits.
Then I chose python which was awesome cause I could do a lot of maths in it and make really cool programs too.
Now I am learning C to help me with hardware programming like the arduino.

astroman

HSC
want something simple to get the basics started like me a flash game

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
what

I thought Python was like super difficult and esoteric

nek minnit

one star difficulty of learning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)