project log book? (1 Viewer)

emillie

HSC
hi guys does anyone else have to submit a log/journal with details of their research and progress in it for marking??? mine is due next week and i have no idea what structure to use or what to put in it or anything!
help!
Thanks!!!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
According to the syllabus the log book is a requirement of the course.

Below is an extract of the syllabus describing the log book and what is should contain.

Yes it should be checked regularly by your teacher.

Personally I only award the mark for it at the end of the project although I will tell a student what level their log book is at at each submission e.g. if it is not up to standard I will tell them they are heading for a low mark out of the 10 allocated by the BOS.

The Extension History syllabus spells out clearly all the requirements of the assessment programme.

I assume that you have read each syllabus document for each course you are studying - they can be found of the Board of Studies website.

"The Process Log

The process log should contain:
• description of procedures
• log of sequential development of the topic
• record of major decisions of the project
• review: cumulative self, peer and teacher evaluation of the project and record of interviews.

Certification of the Project

A statement by the principal, teacher and student that the project is considered to be an original piece of work carried out by the student must be attached to the final copy of the project.

Certification is required to ensure that each submitted work is wholly the work of the student entered for the Higher School Certificate and has been completed under the supervision of the teacher. The Office of the Board of Studies will provide a certification form for this purpose. If the supervising teacher cannot certify the student’s work the school must complete a non-certification report document.

It is essential that:

• aspects of the process of development of the project take place in school time

• work completed away from school is regularly monitored by the supervising teacher

• each student sign a statement, witnessed by the supervising teacher, that the submitted major work is their own work

• the process log be submitted with the essay. This requirement is necessary for verification of authenticity and will be referenced in the case of appeals being made to the Board of Studies."

This extract clearly says that the teacher has to monitor your progress and that can be done by seeing the log book.

You need to have your findings, thoughts and decisions written down.

I encourage my students to write in their log book EVERY time they do any work on their project, even if they talk to their parents about it over the dinner table - if something relevant is said. Last year I even had a student writing about a dream he had about his project - considering it changed part of his research path it was important but that would be an unusual approach.

All the best.

niteshade1312

HSC
A logbook is the progression of your project and should document absolutely everything. I have no idea why you weren't told about it because it does play a big role in your project. It allows the markers to see your thoughts and how you came up with your ideas.

There is no set layout, but aslong as there are clear dates, easy to read, research, possibly parts of your essay as you work on it, inspiration...

Oh, and you can't forge one the night before because it actually shows... This is coming from someone who is a logbook Queen in Ext Hist, Drama and Dt.. You better start

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
emillie said:
hi guys does anyone else have to submit a log/journal with details of their research and progress in it for marking??? mine is due next week and i have no idea what structure to use or what to put in it or anything!
help!
Thanks!!!
If its due soon im not sure how you were supposed to have been entering into it everytime you make progress on your subject. Don't worry about it too much because it is internally marked. But I really suggest to anyone to start one soon, because i find its a great way to collect your thoughts, and express what you're thinking, it helps you as much as it helps the markers to know where you are headed!

stine03

HSC
does it really need to be constantly checked and progress supervised by teacher? mine hasnt checked my classes not once so far this year =(
every one fo the students in the class are now relaxed about it and not even 10% done =(

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
stine03 said:
does it really need to be constantly checked and progress supervised by teacher? mine hasnt checked my classes not once so far this year =(
Technically? Yes, it does have to be checked. Syllabus says. However, no one from the Board ever sees the projects, they're internally marked, so it doesn't matter enormously as long as everyone in your school is in the same boat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)