Properties of Wave (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
refraction, diffraction, reflection, travel in straight lines, which is in all waves.

speed depends on medium is for mechanical wave. Electromagnetic wave speed is constant relative to all observer.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
emr's speed also varies depending on medium, but this is constant within to all frmes of refernece

MyLuv

:D I'm doing HSC, a Physic Trial to go tomorrow:p
I'm not very sure of these wave stuff coz I've just been here since this year and didnt know anything from preliminary:D

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Maybe that debate in the 1800's on whether cathode rays where particles or waves...

Does the maltese cross cathode ray tube setup show that cathode rays are particles or waves or both?

Rahul

Dead Member
the maltese cross showed that its a wave, so did the ones with the electric field, magnetic field and paddle wheel. altho u can say that the paddle wheel showed that its a particle, by taking momentum into accout ( p = mv ). so light would have a mass, hence it is particle, but that theory is not best explained. so stick with them 4 as wave models of cathode rays.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Ok, I done some research and here are my findings...
1. Paddle wheel showed cathode rays were particles, as it demonstrated that they had momentum
2. Magnetic fields showed they were particles, because waves don't get deflected by magnetic fields
3. Electric fields showed they were particles, because again waves don't get deflected by electric fields although Hertz initally thought cathode rays were waves because he was not able to produce a strong enough electric field to produce any observable deflection
4. Ok, the maltese cross - It showed that cathode rays travelled in straight lines, which is both a particle and wave property, but the image of the maltese cross was perfectly clear and sharp, indicating that the rays did not experience any diffraction, indicating a lack of wave property. Also, it showed that all the rays were blocked out by a thin piece of metal and most waves can travel through such barriers... electrons may also be able to, but some inevitably get deflected after hitting the nucleus. A later demonstration of the cathode rays detected little sparks in the phosphor dots at the cathode end, which showed that some of the rays were completely reflected.

N

ND

Originally posted by Suvat
3. Electric fields showed they were particles, because again waves don't get deflected by electric fields although Hertz initally thought cathode rays were waves because he was not able to produce a strong enough electric field to produce any observable deflection
Not only because the electric field wasn't strong enough, but also because the gas pressure wasn't low enough, so the ray ionised the gas particles which were then attrected toward the electric plates, effectively neutralising them (i think it was Thompson who worked this out).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)