• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Proposed US Carrier Strike Group stationed at HMAS Stirling, Perth (1 Viewer)

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
A report for the US military contains a recommendation to expand America's defence presence in Australia by massively expanding a base in Perth for a US aircraft carrier and supporting fleet.
The strike group would include a nuclear powered aircraft carrier, a carrier air wing of up to nine squadrons, one or two guided missile cruisers, two or three guided missile destroyers, one or two nuclear powered submarines and a supply ship.
"Australia's geography, political stability, and existing defence capabilities and infrastructure offer strategic depth and other significant military advantages to the United States in light of the growing range of Chinese weapons systems, US efforts to achieve a more distributed force posture, and the increasing strategic importance of south-east Asia and the Indian Ocean," says the report.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...up-in-perth-20120801-23emq.html#ixzz22HxGrInB

Share your thoughts, friends.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't mind the idea of the navy being here, not sure if I'm keen on one of the ships being nuclear powered

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Dont think any of the nuke boats have gone apeshit yet.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It doesn't worry me. We (Australia) need the US a lot more than they need us.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
So can we station some of our military in the US?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Don't mind the idea of the navy being here, not sure if I'm keen on one of the ships being nuclear powered
At least 3 vessels (likely more) would be nuclear powered - the carrier and two submarines. The implication is that the facilities that service them would need to have the added capacity to service nuclear reactors, most notably nuclear waste disposal. However, as SnowFox mentions, there have never been any critical incidents involving the failure of nuclear powered vessels. The most recent incident was 1992, where around 400 litres of radioactive cooling water leaked from the USS Long Beach, a guided-missile cruiser, into San Diego Bay. The last incident of that kind was 14 years ago, in 1978.

Our vessels regularly make use of US (and other) naval facilities, if that counts.

We get paid for this right
Most of the burden in terms of construction and ongoing operating costs would be the US'. There would also be immense education etc opportunities for Australian Naval personnel.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Our resources are already stretched. Australia needs to vastly increase its military capacity. Indonesia and our SE Asian neighbours pose a substantial (future) threat to us.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
At least 3 vessels (likely more) would be nuclear powered - the carrier and two submarines. The implication is that the facilities that service them would need to have the added capacity to service nuclear reactors, most notably nuclear waste disposal. However, as SnowFox mentions, there have never been any critical incidents involving the failure of nuclear powered vessels. The most recent incident was 1992, where around 400 litres of radioactive cooling water leaked from the USS Long Beach, a guided-missile cruiser, into San Diego Bay. The last incident of that kind was 14 years ago, in 1978.
oh look I accept the risk is low but it is another risk (on top of the existing risk)that I think should at least be considered and mitigated against, if the US was willing to footthe bill if it all went wrong and disposed the waste themselves then I guess that's ok

Lentern

HSC
Our resources are already stretched. Australia needs to vastly increase its military capacity. Indonesia and our SE Asian neighbours pose a substantial (future) threat to us.
OMG shutup!

Also heard it on radio, Smithy says no.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
From the SMH comments:

I think the Americans know we are home to the World's Best Treasurer and Wayne can make those little debt numbers appear insignificant. They just want to be close to our Guru Wayne and lets face it who wouldn't want to absorb the wisdom of the WORLD'S BEST TREASURER.
CommenterJohn Location Date and time Aug 1, 2012, 04:12PM

Outstanding.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
OMG shutup!

Also heard it on radio, Smithy says no.
With the rise of China and India, control of the Indian Ocean will have a newfound significance over the next century. However, the Indian Ocean is also where the US' presence, and ability to project force, is weakest. US naval forces that operate in the Indian Ocean (the Seventh Fleet) are based in the Pacific (Yokosuka, Japan), and must therefore traverse marginal seas that will become much more hostile (e.g. East China Sea, South China Sea, Arabian Sea) and key chokepoints (e.g. Straits of Malacca) that are already plagued with pirates. When operating in the Indian Ocean, US vessels must also rely on the services of unreliable or vulnerable allies with Indian Ocean exposure. The US has few assets of its own in the Indian Ocean, the most prominent being Naval Support Facility Diego Garcia. Diego Garcia does not have the facilities to service a carrier battle group, and is a strategic liability due in part to its geography and the grievances of its dispossessed population.

The US will, therefore, need to restructure, rationalise, and expand its ability to project force in the Indian Ocean. A naval base in West Australia, preferably south of Exmouth but at the most Broome, is the only real choice, and will therefore become a lynchpin of future US-Australian relations. As Smithy, and Colin Barnett, have stated, there is no way that HMAS Stirling will ever fulfill this role. But it's going to happen somewhere, and I want to know what my esteemed peers here at NCAP think about the whole idea - HMAS Stirling gets the discussion going.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Most of the burden in terms of construction and ongoing operating costs would be the US'. There would also be immense education etc opportunities for Australian Naval personnel.
I would love to see China make a move on this in order to curb U.S expansion

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
From the SMH comments:

I think the Americans know we are home to the World's Best Treasurer and Wayne can make those little debt numbers appear insignificant. They just want to be close to our Guru Wayne and lets face it who wouldn't want to absorb the wisdom of the WORLD'S BEST TREASURER.
CommenterJohn Location Date and time Aug 1, 2012, 04:12PM

Outstanding.
the ALP's Danny G

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Do you think India could possibly be a threat in the future?

Curious to hear your thoughts

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Do you think India could possibly be a threat in the future?

Curious to hear your thoughts

india has far better growth prospects than china, least of all because it's not in the early stages of a demographic crisis

they'll have the manpower and the money

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I was thinking more along the lines of a military threat though

Or is this somehow related?
money -> equipment
people -> soldiers

the more money you have, the better equipment
the more people fit for military service you have, the more soldiers you have

military power is therefore a direct function of money and people

people with military power use it to do shit, ergo threat is a direct function of power

india is therefore a threat

mirakon

nigga
HSC
money -> equipment
people -> soldiers

the more money you have, the better equipment
the more people fit for military service you have, the more soldiers you have

military power is therefore a direct function of money and people
Fair enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)