• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Proposed US Carrier Strike Group stationed at HMAS Stirling, Perth (2 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
money -> equipment
people -> soldiers

the more money you have, the better equipment
the more people fit for military service you have, the more soldiers you have

military power is therefore a direct function of money and people

people with military power use it to do shit, ergo threat is a direct function of power
India is a democracy though, unlike China.

Lentern

HSC
India is incredibly corrupt though and voting in small villages etc is pretty farcical at times
I'm away but even flawed democracies have tended against warring with each other historically.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It doesn't matter because this will all be scrapped under the Ron Paul presidency.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I'm away but even flawed democracies have tended against warring with each other historically.
Yeah, I mean it's not like democratic Pakistan and India ever had a war, or have intermittent scuffles at the border, or were ever on the verge of nuclear apocalypse, right?

But I digress from the point. The US developing its capacity in the Indonesian Ocean isn't about countering potential threats, such as China or India. It's about nipping their regional pretensions in the bud.

It doesn't matter because this will all be scrapped under the Ron Paul presidency.
If only, Comrade.

Lentern

HSC
Yeah, I mean it's not like democratic Pakistan and India ever had a war, or have intermittent scuffles at the border, or were ever on the verge of nuclear apocalypse, right?

But I digress from the point. The US developing its capacity in the Indonesian Ocean isn't about countering potential threats, such as China or India. It's about nipping their regional pretensions in the bud.

If only, Comrade.
A Pakistani democracy? What where the people vote and the military knock off the leader a weak later if they don't like him or her?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
A Pakistani democracy? What where the people vote and the military knock off the leader a weak later if they don't like him or her?
you can shift the goalposts all you want, but the democratic peace you allude to is baloney.

china is a threat. india is a threat. welcome to the thunderdome.

Lentern

HSC
you can shift the goalposts all you want, but the democratic peace you allude to is baloney.

china is a threat. india is a threat. welcome to the thunderdome.
If by threat you mean they are capable of bullying us then yes, if you mean to suggest they have any great intention of doing so, nope.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The democratically elected Zardari government is one of the worst things to ever happen to Pakistan. It was in fact loads better under the military rule of Musharraf.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
No not really, my originally contention was that India wont invade us because they're a democracy and dog don't eat dog, I stand by it.
i wasn't even talking about anyone invading australia though.

and given the right circumstances, dogs will eat other dogs

Lentern

HSC
i wasn't even talking about anyone invading australia though.

and given the right circumstances, dogs will eat other dogs
For someone who accuses others of moving the goal posts you do use "threat" very flexibly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)