Proposition 8. (1 Viewer)

Naminé

HSC
I am very distressed at the moment. For those of you who don't keep up with the intricacies of US politics, gay marriage is legal in certain states of the USA, including California. Proposition 8 seeks to eliminate the ability of same-sex couples to marry in California. It is winning at quite a significant margin -- and has been all night -- 52% YES - 48% NO with ~80+ of precincts having been counted... So, yeah, most people have given up hope already.

The results can be followed here.

I'm pretty devastated... It's just a huge punch in the throat to all we've worked for... I believed there was no way in hell a bill like that would pass, especially not when an Obama win was pretty much guaranteed.

Discuss.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well that was quick.
Pretty damning result, given a very liberal state and thunderous democratic presidential victory

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Naminé said:
I'm pretty devastated... It's just a huge punch in the throat to all we've worked for... I believed there was no way in hell a bill like that would pass, especially not when an Obama win was pretty much guaranteed
Why? The Democrats are a centrist party, not a leftist party, Obama himself probably would have sided with the 52%. Likewise some of the Republicans who voted for McCain would've voted against this proposition, its not really a partisan issue. The whole premise of gay marriage is a farce anyway, hopefully now public money and time in California (and in the other 3 states that passed such a bill) will be devoted to issues that actually matter.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
bshoc said:
Why? The Democrats are a centrist party, not a leftist party, Obama himself probably would have sided with the 52%. Likewise some of the Republicans who voted for McCain would've voted against this proposition, its not really a partisan issue. The whole premise of gay marriage is a farce anyway, hopefully now public money and time in California (and in the other 3 states that passed such a bill) will be devoted to issues that actually matter.
Actually he was against the proposition.

55HS

HSC
Today while I am happy with Barack Obama's win.... I have to say this happiness is tempered with a good bit of sadness for the passage of Prop 8 in California and similar bans in Florida and Arizona.

Perhaps the saddest and most ironic thing about this is that while overwhelmingly the gay community was behind Obama's presidency, from the poll numbers it seems that it was in a very big way the turnout of the African American vote who overwhelmingly voted for proposition 8 which saw it get passed. How odd is it that Obama, someone who ran on a message of unity and inclusion could have so many supporters who chose to shut one segment of society out? Of all the people of America you would think black American's would understand how it feels to be excluded.

BShoc said:
I imagine if you split the vote down party lines the majority of democrats would be against the proposition (just checked, 64% of democrats were against it) and I'm certain that Obama would be against it. As for the whole premise of gay marriage being a farce... The whole premise of marriage is a farce.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na, see Kennedy did the tykes
Obama does the blacks
?Hillary? does the gays. Pretty sure she's lez

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
This result was disgusting. Awful Mormons flooding the state with anti-gay ads.

Fucking religious whackjobs.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Perfectly valid result. The family needs to be strengthned, not redefined. Life must not be weakened

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Obama was pretty strongly against proposition 8, which was heartening.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, this is probably why his victory speech (which was essentially just his stump speech from what I could tell) kicked in "gay or straight" in the united states of America part

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
I read part of the transcript. It was half stump, speech half new. I was dissapointed because I wanted something all new, but I'll see if it's better when I watch the torrent.

I guess, to be fair, he's pretty down about his grandma dying and has probably had barely any sleep all week.

McCain's speech was better, but then, it was a concession, so plenty of new material there. Was pissed off with all the rednecks booing McCain during his speech, though. He should have silenced them.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Trefoil said:
I read part of the transcript. It was half stump, speech half new. I was dissapointed because I wanted something all new, but I'll see if it's better when I watch the torrent.

I guess, to be fair, he's pretty down about his grandma dying and has probably had barely any sleep all week.

McCain's speech was better, but then, it was a concession, so plenty of new material there. Was pissed off with all the rednecks booing McCain during his speech, though. He should have silenced them.
He's saving himself for the big day
(inauguration)

nikolas

HSC
Iron said:
Perfectly valid result. The family needs to be strengthned, not redefined. Life must not be weakened
How is some one else' marriage weakening your family?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
catholic spics + religious niggers = yes to prop 8

(not racist)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Only if it involves me getting money and power

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)