Proposition 8. (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol that sounds hopeless.
Revision? Amendment? Like, there was a pre-existing, fundamental right to gay marriage?
Hope the SC wont grant certiorari. I fear that's what these guys are after. Implied right to privacy (found in Roe etc) probably makes gay marriage inevitable once it gets thee

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Iron said:
lol that sounds hopeless.
Revision? Amendment? Like, there was a pre-existing, fundamental right to gay marriage?
Hope the SC wont grant certiorari. I fear that's what these guys are after. Implied right to privacy (found in Roe etc) probably makes gay marriage inevitable once it gets thee
That's what was stated in May when it was legalised:

In May 2008, the California Supreme Court ruled that the statute enacted by Proposition 22 and other statutes that limit marriage to a relationship between a man and a woman violated the equal protection clause of the California Constitution. It also held that individuals of the same sex have the right to marry under the California Constitution.
From: http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/analysis/prop8-analysis.htm

I'd say it sounds more like a revision than an amendment but it's semantics in the end. So is the whole only hetero's can marry thing though :p

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol good fun. Exciting times!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol what a phoney.

The family needs to be strengthened
Not redefined.

impervious182

HSC
Iron has completely dominated this thread, almost single-handedly, even though he had exams on.

The vote was legal, the result valid. What's the problem?

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
alexdore993 said:
Iron has completely dominated this thread, almost single-handedly, even though he had exams on.
Here's a helpful hint, because I know you struggle with this sort of thing: when you agree with somebody that doesn't mean they automatically win whatever argument they're in.

In fact, in your case, it probably means they automatically lose it.

The vote was legal, the result valid. What's the problem?
Actually, it's in the courts right now because it's probably not legal; a violation of rights.

When a democracy is able to pass any law by simple majority rule, without reference to some fundamental standard of rights, you get Nazi Germany, as Schroe points out.

impervious182

HSC
Trefoil said:
Here's a helpful hint, because I know you struggle with this sort of thing: when you agree with somebody that doesn't mean they automatically win whatever argument they're in.

In fact, in your case, it probably means they automatically lose it.

Actually, it's in the courts right now because it's probably not legal; a violation of rights.

When a democracy is able to pass any law by simple majority rule, without reference to some fundamental standard of rights, you get Nazi Germany, as Schroe points out.
Ironic that you would be equating something to Nazism. However you're both wrong. I understand what your intentions were, but Hitler came to power through democratic means in Weimar Germany, Nazi Germany was not democratic.

Instead, under the Fuehrer Prinzip, after the passage of the Enabling Act, Hitler could make laws which would come into effect the very next day.

So, what you probably meant was, that you get Weimar Germany. What's more, it's absurb to equate the two, because there was no mass oppression of opposing views in California or America. People weren't being killed for being gay. So your claims are just completely ridiculous and stink of inappropriate hyperbole.

It seems that when anyone disagrees with you Trefoil, they are automatically Nazis, racists, sexist and so on. Very irrational.

Last edited:

impervious182

HSC
John Oliver said:
Hitler was democratically elected
So were Kevin Rudd, Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, John F. Kennedy, Helen Clarke, John Howard, Paul Keating, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Winston Churchill and Woodrow Wilson... etc. etc.

That's just one bad example, amongst many many more good ones. What's more, Hitler being elected democratically was not the problem; rather the fact that the constitution allowed for rule which was not democratic was.

Hitler became dictator of Germany; this is when his infamous policies were implemented. So it's not so much democracy's fault, as the loophole in the constitution which undermined democracy.

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Looks like Zimmerman's assessment that alexbores is a Hitler wannabe was fairly accurate.

impervious182

HSC
Trefoil said:
Looks like Zimmerman's assessment that alexbores is a Hitler wannabe was fairly accurate.
Looks like my own assessment, that Trefoil is a dumbass who resorts to attacking people, instead of their arguments was extremely accurate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)