Pros/Cons of 10 units (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello Everyone! :)

I'm at a crossroads again and want to drop to 10 units. What are the best reasons for doing so? I'm currently on 12, with Business Studies being the subject that I want to discontinue. I've been doing pretty badly and my teacher isn't really helping either, but I don't know... I know there's always that "you never know what might not count" but the likelihood of Business counting is pretty damn small looking at my results.

Main pros and cons for you? I can't do 11 units since I only do 2unit subjects (English Adv., Mathematics, Business, Economics, Geography, Studies of Religion).

Thanks so much in advanced! ^^

HSC
Pros: less work, more time to focus on subjects that count, more frees,
Cons: no backup in case u screw up, u might have to drop a subject u enjoy

klee98

HSC
Drop it. Don't waste your time on a subject when you no longer have faith in.
Honestly, if you're aiming and willing to excel, there's no need to worry about a 'backup subject'. It's a clutch.
You'll feel attached at first, but give it a day or two, you'll definitely know what to do with that extra period of time.

Unless, you need it for Uni (then i guess, change your attitude on the subject?) other than that, no reason to stay...

mreditor16

HSC
An important question to ask first of all is how is your performance in your remaining 10 units? If they're all going relatively smoothly and your marks are good and you see yourself succeeding in those subjects with your final results, then I do agree with dropping.

However, it does bring some risk, as any major mishap in any of the subjects of your remaining 10 units will have an effect. Consider your ATAR goal as a result. If it is relatively low, then you can afford more to take this risk of dropping to 10 units. But in my eyes, if you are aiming high, then less risk is needed to help improve your chances of achieving your goal, and then you might want to consider keeping it a bit longer, with a 'wait and watch' approach.

At the end of the day, as you can see, it depends on your circumstances. :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I am personally glad,and so are quite a few of my friends that we kept 12 units as we were surprised what actually ended up counting!

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I completed my HSC last year with 12 units. At the time I wanted to drop Biology as it was my least favourite and I was jealous of all my friends that got to go home early due to free periods and all. Towards the end I was lacking motivation and my confidence was smashed when I failed my trial examination but I kept working really hard and getting support off teachers. When I got my HSC I was amazed as I got an overall mark of around 73 (my lowest HSC mark being 72) and it counted in my ATAR. So yes, your teacher is right (as were mine) saying that "You never know what will count", because I thought Biology wouldn't of.

matthado

HSC
I know that you hate the subject, but if you are willing to put some extra effort into it, Business Studies is one subject that you can excel in without even knowing that you are doing so. For example, my HSC result for Business Studies was a 84. May not come across as a fantastic score to some, but with a person averaging between 55-65 in each exam and assignment, it turned out to be fantastic.

With that being said I remember hating a subject, Economics. I not only hated the subject but as well as the class and I was so glad that I dropped it. With that being said I ended up doing 14 units when the HSC came around (as I picked up Business Services in Year 12 meaning it was 4 units and SLR which was another 2 units but didn't count for the HSC) and I ended up with an ATAR that I am proud of.

It really all depends on you. If you feel as though you don't need Business, than sure drop it. But like others said, you might be surprised on what counts and what you end up with, because I sure was.

420YOLOSWAG

HSC
Keep it. Almost everyone I know was suprised by either a subject counting or not counting. Its just so hard to compare assessment marks to the end hsc mark. Also there is a lot of potential to do well at business if you stick with it!

joyster

HSC
Hello! I'm just wondering too, if I made the right choice of dropping down from 12 to 10 units.
i was on 12 units before; english standard, maths ext1, maths ext2, phy, chem, pdhpe. i was doing decent overall in all 6 subjects, but decided to drop pdhpe because of the workload and time i had to spend on it. plus, i thought even if i screwed up a subject really badly in hsc, pdhpe wouldn't count towards my atar since scaling is pretty bad. Im in top 5 for all my subjects now, except pdhpe because i screwed up my first assessment task (though i was rank 1 in prelim for pdh). do you guys think i made the right choice to drop down to 10 units? honestly, i think ill be fine and its beneficial for me since i can devote more time on the other subjects. any ideas/advices? im having a breakdown :O so many people told me to drop down but some people told me not to:confused:

joyster

HSC
hm but if you devote more time on your 10 unit subjects wouldnt that benefit you? like by doing that, you are decreasing the likelihood of failing in any subject.. thanks though :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello Everyone! :)

I'm at a crossroads again and want to drop to 10 units. What are the best reasons for doing so? I'm currently on 12, with Business Studies being the subject that I want to discontinue. I've been doing pretty badly and my teacher isn't really helping either, but I don't know... I know there's always that "you never know what might not count" but the likelihood of Business counting is pretty damn small looking at my results.

Main pros and cons for you? I can't do 11 units since I only do 2unit subjects (English Adv., Mathematics, Business, Economics, Geography, Studies of Religion).

Thanks so much in advanced! ^^
If it's your worse subject and you aren't committed to it, then drop it IMO. I put in a lot of effort into business studies but other subjects scaled so much better that it only half counted (I did 11 units) - I'm glad i didn't drop 3u maths even though I was barely passing.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
If it's your worse subject and you aren't committed to it, then drop it IMO. I put in a lot of effort into business studies but other subjects scaled so much better that it only half counted (I did 11 units) - I'm glad i didn't drop 3u maths even though I was barely passing.
Can you elaborate? I feel like I'm also barely passing and even though you felt the same, you're glad you didn't drop it, why?

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Can you elaborate? I feel like I'm also barely passing and even though you felt the same, you're glad you didn't drop it, why?
Most likely ended up acing the exam and benefiting from the high scaling!

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Most likely ended up acing the exam and benefiting from the high scaling!
Well how about his internal mark? He said he was barely passing so I doubt his exam lifted his mark by a lot. I just wanna make sure from the person himself though so I can know what to do for myself with 3U.

patpatpat

HSC
All it takes is one bad exam at the end of the year (bad nights sleep, feeling unwell, poor marks in extended answer) and your ATAR will be hurt if you do 10 units. Would always recommend having a safety net. If you near the final exams and business is still your weakest subject then just spend less time studying it, but that is months away and you never know what could happen.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well how about his internal mark? He said he was barely passing so I doubt his exam lifted his mark by a lot. I just wanna make sure from the person himself though so I can know what to do for myself with 3U.
Sorry for slow reply. I actually failed my trials for 3u (24/50) and barely passed with my raw internal mark. I ended up with 39/50 and I don't think I did that well in the real exam so my guess was moderation played a big part and then scaling for the subject given my business studies didn't count for the full 2 units.

Also I have been PM'd by a few people about IPT - I got 98 or 99. I can't remember as it was a while ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)