• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prospective Med Students 2006 (2 Viewers)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
robert gets that live infectious culture.. from his ass.. im certain of it.. thats how id do it if i were bored..

actualli in newcastle i thought it was interview ranked..
lik
1) interview is top 70ish
2) if 2 interviews of equal rank then UMAT is used to differentiate..
3) to get a place they also must hav UAI 93.8+

actualli newcastle is fairly high in UMAT but i think UWA UMATs are higher..
Alvin, shut up or I'll make you catch cancer!

Is the cutoff still 93.8? I'm certain it's increased, and to a round (ie vague) figure. I'll check the handbook, later, maybe.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Alvin, shut up or I'll make you catch cancer!

Is the cutoff still 93.8? I'm certain it's increased, and to a round (ie vague) figure. I'll check the handbook, later, maybe.
dun worri.. ill give u syphillis.. gonorrhea.. chlamydia.. and a sore mouth.. ;) chastity belt will not help MUAHAHAHA
can a guy get PID?

ill give u a hydrocele, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, Vesicoureteral Reflux (a lil hard but i can do it) and various other conditions..
dun toy with me.. or ull be pwned.... lolz

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Yes Alvin, you will 'pwn' him with your stethoscope lol. Imagine getting pwned by ebola or smallpox...ouch.

Does anybody know why the ebola outbreak died down in America instead of spelling their armageddon?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
How can you give someone a hydrocele...I thought CF was a genetically acquired disease.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Wilson you came really close to biting that hook, disappointingly close. "Catch cancer" indeed. :rolleyes:

Alvin, humans don't get BSE - we develop vCJD (variant Creutzfeld-Jakobs Disorder). You should know that (after all, anyone who reads TIME does).

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
umm yes lexi i realise.. humans get vCJD..so think wat i could possibly be implying bout u.. ..but hey bovine can be prospective med students too :p

umm no... wilson.. no.. it has other pathphysiology

back to the topic at hand.. 2006 med students.... DO u want to be this geeky? *runs off and cries*

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
LOL... geeky is part of all entry criterion isnt it?

Well, I thought I'd best make myself known in these parts because someone finally made a thread I qualify for (instead of bugging lexi, +Po1ntDeXt3r+ and inasero anywhere else I can find them... =p) !!!

... UNSW is not exactly the place to go if you are having "financial difficulties" tho, is it inasero??

(oh and guys? remember we are the small fry, so dont use big words - you scare us) lol

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
rockstar01 said:
Is the newcastle med course undergraduate?
ok.. heres the deal.. there are two types of uni courses for med..
yr12 leavers and grad entry (have a degree but not in medicine)..

undergrad med means that u do not have a previous medical degree..

note this will unleash the lexi on u.. the oh-most-feared mod of this section ..

so yes Newcastle has a undergraduate course for yr 12 leavers and also graduates too .. :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
m111 said:

Well, I thought I'd best make myself known in these parts because someone finally made a thread I qualify for (instead of bugging lexi, +Po1ntDeXt3r+ and inasero anywhere else I can find them... =p) !!!

... UNSW is not exactly the place to go if you are having "financial difficulties" tho, is it inasero??

(oh and guys? remember we are the small fry, so dont use big words - you scare us) lol
no the geekiness is from studying ..

the big words are only to quash lexi superiority complex :p..
umm i thought UNSW would be ok, if u had financial difficulties.. cos they provide alot of support.. well on par with most unis..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
They use the big words that all med students are supposed to know so they can feel less inferior when I use big words that nobody would be expected to know. :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I should educate you on the difference between 'nerd' and 'geek'. When you say 'nerd' you should think about Stephen Hawking or Einstein. Someone who is studious and passionate about their acadmics and has a limited social life. 'Geek' on the other hand is some one who has a limited social life and is interested in some things, notably computer hardware, computer specifications, programming, comic books, role playing games, fantasy, star wars/trek, japanese anime and must know at least three languages (basic being english, darlek and COBOL). Must not necessarily be intelligent. Prime example is the comic store guy from the simpsons (or lexicographer, also a selg confessed geek :p). Of course I realise the irony that writing a thorough critique on the differences makes me a nerd eheh.

As for the 'financial difficulty' bit, going to UNSW will not disadvantage you unless you are from interstate. I mean, all unis charge the same HECS for medicine and similar uni amenities fees.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
Bob.J said:
newcastle base selection purely on the interview score (if thats what you meant by interview based entry). UMAT is used for tie breakers and you need to get over 93.8 or credit avg(incompleted tertiary studies).
r u fo real? DAYAm i shoulda prepared a bit harder for that interview -_-
so how many ppl get interviewd for how many places?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
jang said:
r u fo real? DAYAm i shoulda prepared a bit harder for that interview -_-
so how many ppl get interviewd for how many places?
did you do a newcastle interview?
2200 applied in 04
400 interviewed
64 CSP (commonwealth supp place)
11 bmp
5 mrbs

in other words i dont think i got into uncle thus year :D

jang

is not my real name
HSC
Bob.J said:
did you do a newcastle interview?
2200 applied in 04
400 interviewed
64 CSP (commonwealth supp place)
11 bmp
5 mrbs

in other words i dont think i got into uncle thus year :D
thanks
well thank means 1 in 5 will get in. thats not bad.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
jang said:
thanks
yeah
it's not impossible but it's a helluva lot more difficult compared to other med schools.
It's a joke compared to grad med schools where the chances are 1.3-1.7 to get in
ie. they interview 1.3-1.7 times the number of places..omg :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
jang said:
thanks
yer newcastle is 1337 tho..
lik heaps of ppl who apply are actualli grad applicants.. :S freaked me out

umm schools tat accepts yr 12 leavers are about 25% to like 12% of 'oral assessment' is sh*t

btw i speak klingon... it aint geeky.. just very scary...lolz .. j/k
comic book guy: "i wonder if there is a word in klingon for loneliness?.. *pulls out kilingon dictionary* ah yes... . GAHR-DAHK!"

umm approx HECS places avail.. (incl BMP + MRBS)
UNSW 180
Melb 180
Monash 180
Adel 99 (80 are unbonded)
UWA 100
NEWC 80

these are the places in 04 from memory (not all goto yr 12 leavers).. i kno Adel is offering 10 full fee and up but only for UAdel transfers... will cost about $190K..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)