• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prospects of gettin to UNSW med (2 Viewers)

Wohzazz

HSC
UAI-- possibly 98.5-99.6
Umat-- i'm pretty logical, semi high iq in most tests (around 130)
Interview-- not too good at talking, but passionate about course
-- charity work--none
--volunteer work--none

any judgements, pls be frank

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
If you've got the passion then you have the chance, but at the end of the day its not up to us, but mainly the interviewer

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
do you do music, arts, sports, etc...

They help alot, escpecially arts.

charity stuff is only important if your have done alot.

I reckon, if you can talk and get 90+ UMAT and 99+ UAI they will accept you. (disregarding everything else)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
u'll definitely get an interview........ work on the interview and assuming u go decent (and with the higher end of the UAI range u mentioned) u should get in

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890

no that is what i'm worried about. I'm a math/science kind of person who cant play any semi instruments and have semi athletic abilities. I dont play sport on the weekends though i will love to if not for the HSC.
I had a talk with my careers advisor and she asked me questions a series of Qs
'what do you want to do?'-- i answered 'i want to do med at UNSW'
'what have you done this year and last to get into your course' ---(hesistantly) 'not much but study'
'why do u want to do med?'-- so i gave a nice convincing speech and she replied 'well you dont have to convince me'

the 'chat' felt unconfortable i think mainly because i didn't seem to have done 'much' to pursue med cept study and have the will and i dont think realistically the career advisor believed i could get in. Thus why i'm worried.

and the fact is that so many people wants to get in med they join all these clubs, 'environment club blah blah' for one day to get the membership so they can write on their resume which isnt really right. I'm thinking its unfair that interviewers judge people on these petty volunteer work. Should i be like them and get a membership. Or should i continue studying, go through UMAT and talk confidently about the truth and passion for the course

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Join clubs, volunteer for things.... if you wanna make it in, you gotta play the game...

The HSC, uni acceptance, finding a job etc.... it's all just a big game of Monopoly...

Good luck!

Giant Lobster

HSC

charity stuff is only important if your have done alot.

I reckon, if you can talk and get 90+ UMAT and 99+ UAI they will accept you. (disregarding everything else)
hmmmm very interesting

esp. about the charity stuff being not important

I think im v. similar to Wohzazz here. I'm a maths / science nerd who does well enough academically. I consider myself "smart enough" for med, I'm not afraid of the UMAT. But the thing is, I have done nothing but study for the HSC. Well actually, I have hobbies too. But frankly, I dont think the interviewers will be impressed when i tell them "I can C++" (my hobby = programming).

I can't play any musical instruments either, though I would love to learn. I dont physically look like the person who would suck at sports, but Im hopeless at sports! And I dont enjoy them either :)

Looking at the ppl in Ruse, i guess whatever I can get in the UMAT and UAI, they can do too. And plus, their teachers n careers advisors prolly give em tips on how to lie n stuff, or even better - they actually DO charity n shit. So realistically, I look at my chances and who Im up against, I dont like my chances

eskimo

It's cold outside
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Wohzazz
no that is what i'm worried about. I'm a math/science kind of person who cant play any semi instruments and have semi athletic abilities.
Ever thought about engineering then?

the 'chat' felt unconfortable i think mainly because i didn't seem to have done 'much' to pursue med cept study and have the will and i dont think realistically the career advisor believed i could get in. Thus why i'm worried.

and the fact is that so many people wants to get in med they join all these clubs, 'environment club blah blah' for one day to get the membership so they can write on their resume which isnt really right. I'm thinking its unfair that interviewers judge people on these petty volunteer work. Should i be like them and get a membership. Or should i continue studying, go through UMAT and talk confidently about the truth and passion for the course
Everyone can go on about what they have done and why they wanna do medicine. But really you should be asking yourself, "Am I the type of person who would I make a good doctor?", it's a serious question. I see that you are aware of what is needed to get in. If what you have said is true, then you are smart enough yes. But just because you are smart doesn't mean that you have to do medicine. Smart people do what they enjoy and what they are good at. Eg.. science --> nobel prize, engineering --> cool cars.. etc

I don't see why you can't get in tho. =) But once in, then what?

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Join clubs, volunteer for things.... if you wanna make it in, you gotta play the game...

The HSC, uni acceptance, finding a job etc.... it's all just a big game of Monopoly...

Good luck!
it really is a bit late now. I did arts for 6 years and tennis for 4, so that give me stuff to talk about. But, i did the red shield appeal during y12.

and in the (scholarship) interview it was like:

them "Have you done volunteering/charity activities?"

me"I did the red shield appeal. etc..."

them "How many years have you done it?"

Me"Just this year"

they then skipped straight to next part of interview, lol

EDIT: visual arts are imporant cause it shows you are good at visualsing objects.

Last edited:

Blackalicious

HSC
Wohazz you'll have no problem getting an interview... im very jealous!
But to be frank the interviewers already know your a smart cookie what you need to convince them of is that you havent done nothing but study.
For them to " judge people on these petty volunteer work"
is actually quite valid because in order to be a good doctor you have to be well rounded and balance many things at once. BUT you dont have to participate in heaps of cocurricular activities just talk about your interests..lol even if it is programming so that they can see that you dont do nothing but study

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by eskimo
Ever thought about engineering then?
Yup though i hate tech drawing and dislike designing stuff. Plus i don't like the work environment and job.
Originally posted by eskimo

But really you should be asking yourself, "Am I the type of person who would I make a good doctor?", it's a serious question.

I don't see why you can't get in tho. =) But once in, then what? [/B]
I did ask myself, 'will i be a good doctor?' I would say i don't know if i am capable but i will try my best to become a good doctor. I really hate people who are doctors who have no moral values and are just 'leeching' off the system for good income. I will confidently say i will not be like them.

Once i get in, i'll concentrate on the course and enjoy my life, looking forward to the future and my career:)

Originally posted by braindrainedAsh

Good luck!
A bit late now. I'm sure i can get into the game once i hit university when the pressure is down a little. I've always knew that life is a game of monopoly.

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I did ask myself, 'will i be a good doctor?' I would say i don't know if i am capable but i will try my best to become a good doctor. I really people who are doctors who have no moral values and are just 'leeching' off the system for good income. I will confidently say i will not be like them.
you should see the doctors in china, they leech of the patient's family....

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster

Looking at the ppl in Ruse, i guess whatever I can get in the UMAT and UAI, they can do too. And plus, their teachers n careers advisors prolly give em tips on how to lie n stuff, or even better - they actually DO charity n shit. So realistically, I look at my chances and who Im up against, I dont like my chances
You cannot look at it that way. Of course there are people better than you out there. But if you want to do the course, isn't $140 worth a shot even for the slightest chance? You might be lucky or possess some other qualities that they are looking for and strike a cord. Most people have worth in their own way........................well my thoughts and the way i try to reason to myself

Originally posted by Blackalicious
Wohazz you'll have no problem getting an interview... im very jealous!

For them to " judge people on these petty volunteer work"
is actually quite valid because in order to be a good doctor you have to be well rounded and balance many things at once.
You shouldn't be jealous. Just try your best and hope for the best. the interview may be as far as i go...
I know what i said was in many ways wrong. I agree these people do deserve some credit for their volunteer work. But what i'm saying that there are very good natured people out there who have not demonstrated their aptitude as a person. And i believe these people should be given a good shot and not be completely disregarded.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
If you get interview it means they believe the qualities described on your application are sufficent. (ie. you will get good enough UAI, and you UMAT was good enough, etc..)

In the interview they are basicly looking for communcation skills and personality.

Wohzazz

HSC
If you get interview it means they believe the qualities described on your application are sufficent. (ie. you will get good enough UAI, and you UMAT was good enough, etc..)

In the interview they are basicly looking for communcation skills and personality.
Yeah i thought so. The interview, as far as i know, is based on the top 500 (main round) students who scored highest in their UAI and UMAT sections. I dont think they look at your application form much. It is probably going to direct the question they ask you in the interview. To see if you are truthful, to see your personality and how well you communicate....as you have mentioned

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmmmm very interesting

esp. about the charity stuff being not important

I think im v. similar to Wohzazz here. I'm a maths / science nerd who does well enough academically. I consider myself "smart enough" for med, I'm not afraid of the UMAT. But the thing is, I have done nothing but study for the HSC. Well actually, I have hobbies too. But frankly, I dont think the interviewers will be impressed when i tell them "I can C++" (my hobby = programming).
r u srs? glad u can program.. im the same.. doesnt stop u .. but if u realli want to do med.. ure HSC is VERY important in UNSW and Melb Uni.. plus ure UMAT will the most important thing for interviews.. so mabbe not afraid but it can ruin ure potential med career.

I can't play any musical instruments either, though I would love to learn. I dont physically look like the person who would suck at sports, but Im hopeless at sports! And I dont enjoy them either :)

Looking at the ppl in Ruse, i guess whatever I can get in the UMAT and UAI, they can do too. And plus, their teachers n careers advisors prolly give em tips on how to lie n stuff, or even better - they actually DO charity n shit.
Sport is important.. very important.. especially team ones. Med students usually participate in footy, 'boat races' ;) and PBL.. all teamwork
musical instruments show ure not solely academic focussed.. especially in a competitive course..
and lastly.. the ruse career advisor is a weirdo.. it isnt any advantage :p

nike33

hmm..should we put acedemic hobbys or are they looking for like cricket, footy, music or watver? (deciding wteter to put 2nd in state in chess down)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UAI-- possibly 98.5-99.6
Umat-- i'm pretty logical, semi high iq in most tests (around 130)
Interview-- not too good at talking, but passionate about course
-- charity work--none
--volunteer work--none

any judgements, pls be frank
yer put down chess as a hobby..

UAI-- 99
Umat-- (IQ low-130) end with 260ish (percentiles)
Interview-- nervous @ UNSW n monsh.. tired@ newc.. was hungover at the adel one :).. im pretti social..
--Job-- worked in retail for 3 years
--charity work-- none
--volunteer work-- worked for 7 months at a retirement village
--sport/hobbies-- basketball, some rugby, sax , piano, (self taught) guitar, computers (programming, building etc)
--work exp-- emergency and immunology exp, pharmacy, orthodonist each for 2- 14 days

just be well rounded, relaxed, polite,presentable and be yourself.. else they will accept u on a lie and ull prolly drop out..

short note: 1 person i kno is failing med.. had a great interview ( they lied quite a bit).. and is now very behind the grade.. only cos its fairly demanding n tough.. be honest.. they r other courses - med doesnt suit everyone..

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by nike33
hmm..should we put acedemic hobbys or are they looking for like cricket, footy, music or watver? (deciding wteter to put 2nd in state in chess down)
yeah, they don't regard chess as a sport since it isn't a team thingy. (even though there are chess teams)

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
yer put down chess as a hobby..

UAI-- 99
Umat-- (IQ low-130) end with 260ish (percentiles)
Interview-- nervous @ UNSW n monsh.. tired@ newc.. was hungover at the adel one :).. im pretti social..
--Job-- worked in retail for 3 years
--charity work-- none
--volunteer work-- worked for 7 months at a retirement village
--sport/hobbies-- basketball, some rugby, sax , piano, (self taught) guitar, computers (programming, building etc)
--work exp-- emergency and immunology exp, pharmacy, orthodonist each for 2- 14 days

just be well rounded, relaxed, polite,presentable and be yourself.. else they will accept u on a lie and ull prolly drop out..

short note: 1 person i kno is failing med.. had a great interview ( they lied quite a bit).. and is now very behind the grade.. only cos its fairly demanding n tough.. be honest.. they r other courses - med doesnt suit everyone..
You app looks a lot better than mine. Did you lie at all? I went retail for a department store for work exp, so i dont think it will help me out. And you got 7 months of volunteer work.
And about the presentable part, what did you wear? What do most people wear? Suits and ties? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)