• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prospects of gettin to UNSW med (3 Viewers)

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Saul
hehe, you're silly. the percentiles are only for UMAT, ie. the three parts of. we never get any interview feedback (now that pissed me off)
Well i guess i learned something. That is real good UMATing

Wohzazz

HSC
this was for unsw, and by excellent umating i mean i did excellently in umat. for my rants on prep courses check the med part of the unsw section... too tired to repeat
On the one of the thread in the other forums, you indicated that you were doing a science degree but not med at UNSW. Did you like give up the spot or what?

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Wohzazz
On the one of the thread in the other forums, you indicated that you were doing a science degree but not med at UNSW. Did you like give up the spot or what?
my tale of medicine woe... 98.85 uai, excellent UMATing, didn't get in sheerly cause of the interview... i reckon its cause i have absolutely zero extra curricular activities, and they probably saw through my lies of sport and charity- so if you don't have to, dont lie at the interview! from what ive picked up, if they dont want you to get in, its not going to happen.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
apparently according to some ppl u can get feedback from UNSW..
call them up after offers are out..
I think I originally posted that somewhere, but it didn't turn out to be true.

Now that we're in though, some of the interviewers have told us who they thought had good interviews.

And about lying....don't. Unless you're really good at it, they'll probably catch you out.

Last edited:

Wohzazz

HSC
my tale of medicine woe... 98.85 uai, excellent UMATing, didn't get in sheerly cause of the interview... i reckon its cause i have absolutely zero extra curricular activities, and they probably saw through my lies of sport and charity- so if you don't have to, dont lie at the interview! from what ive picked up, if they dont want you to get in, its not going to happen.
Saul i misread it. I thought it said, i got 98.85 UAI, excellent UMATing, got in med but not sheerly because of the interview

Edit: Hmm, dont think you'll get what i'm trying to say. Nm. Looks like i have not much of a chance.
Originally posted by Skywalker

And about lying....don't. Unless you're really good at it, they'll probably catch you out.
How can you tell if you are good at lying? I havent done it much cos i never had to.

And what exactly can you lie about? Also, What stops someone writing stuff they havent done one their cV? Does the school stamp it or something?

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
Saul i misread it. I thought it said, i got 98.85 UAI, excellent UMATing, got in med but not sheerly because of the interview

Edit: Hmm, dont think you'll get what i'm trying to say. Nm. Looks like i have not much of a chance.

you up against some pretty good competition, a friend of mine is doing medicine at UNSW. He got 99.5 uai, 90%+ umat, school sliver medal (for extracurrcular activities), plays many sports, work experience, does art....

hehe, you need more than uai

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
you up against some pretty good competition, a friend of mine is doing medicine at UNSW. He got 99.5 uai, 90%+ umat, school sliver medal (for extracurrcular activities), plays many sports, work experience, does art....

hehe, you need more than uai
Yeah i know. Is that like typical. I'm like him without the extra cir stuff.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm going to be trying again this year, though I'm not expecting to get in. I do, however, plan on attempting Graduate entry (since half the unis won't even look at you once you've enrolled at a university).

On a side note, I was asked to take President of UTS Red Cross Society...it looks good, but there IS a lot of work. Take my advice - don't do the charity stuff simply so you can say you did it, because when they ask why you've done that stuff you'll screw up, and they'll can your file.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
ah, i sent in my umat application form today.... i'm scared.
Sorry, I just read this. There is NO REASON to be afraid. Seriously, if you're meant to do well then you will. No amount of stupid Dallas or whatever will turn someone who isn't cut for it into someone who is. Just relax, keep a clear mind, and plod through it.

See you 04ers there!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe thanks.

As you can all see, I'm trying to revive these threads so people notice all the med stuff that's been said and left to die (and so th med section shows all the threads I'm dropping in there).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe, I remember getting mine in three days late...

...it was still good, but my UAI prediction was too low damnit.

korry

HSC
N/A
my year adviser gave me back my CV today...is there a chance of getting an interview with 97? i know I still gotta wait till UMAT scores come out and stuff...but i was just wondering

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i dont know what my estimate was, must have been really bad seeing i got an alright UMAT

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, from the immense anecdotal evidence I sighted last year (on BoS, through student connections in various selective schools etc) it appears that UNSW only issues interviews to students with good UMAT and 98.00 or higher UAI predictions. Try to get your estimate bumped up just a little, you REALLY need it.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If you "screwed" up your UAI (95), your interview and UMAT component will be very important.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UNSW can refuse whoever they damn well please, without stating cause. In fact, that's how most things with the university go. Sure there are sometimes avenues of appeal, but they're often not worth the trouble. What's most important is playing the game by their rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)