• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prospects of gettin to UNSW med (4 Viewers)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
in adel.. they only use the interview for admissions..UMAT will get u an interview and ure UAI is pretti much neglected
the interview is usualli easier for girls..
they hav greater choice for clothes and usualli come off as being able to empathise more..

for guys.. just think.. conservative.. mabbe tie, collared shirt and pants.. use the clothes to make ure self feel confident.. suit jackets are a bit much.. most interviews are in spring and summer..
think wat med students would wear.. take off ure piercings, cover ure tatts..n smile :D

btw which dept store did u work exp at?

ps.. no i did not lie.. i scrambled lik an idiot at the start of yr 12 to get those things done :)

Last edited:

Wohzazz

HSC
Dept store= kmart
i hope the interviewers are females, esaier to talk to
lol, females use seduction techniques
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+

they hav greater choice for clothes and usualli come off as being able to empathise more..
What? They use their seduction methods or something?
But having said that i like female interviewers more. They are easier to talk to.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Relax, if you're scared now, you'll totally freak out @ umat
All those supervisors with walkie talkies...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its one male one female.. and at monash.. plus one more

psychologically: the women are more able to empathise more and hence make u feel comfortable - also more girls than boys in med schools.. esp my year .. 35% males

one of my female interviewers for dent @adel was very flirty..
happened to be the head of one portion of dental..

so i got the place :p

yer the UMAT is prolly the sacriest bit of the whole process..

hmm SUVAT .. do u kno paul b. (viet) from high?

Last edited:

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Yeah I know him

Is there also an austin hong :p

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
esp my year .. 35% males
Phwoar.

Our year is only 55% female (official stats) even though it looks like more in the lectures.

Saul

*ss
HSC
my tale of medicine woe... 98.85 uai, excellent UMATing, didn't get in sheerly cause of the interview... i reckon its cause i have absolutely zero extra curricular activities, and they probably saw through my lies of sport and charity- so if you don't have to, dont lie at the interview! from what ive picked up, if they dont want you to get in, its not going to happen.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
they're not enough med schools in NSW at present to cope with
1) yr 12 demand
2) workforce requirements..

generally.. for all that its worth.. i kno ppl in UNSW, ADEL n MELB who kick the UMAT UAI + interview.. but they r failin...and ppl with lik 92 and low umats but the sheer interest of the course carries them.. so mabbe just keep tryin'?

Last edited:

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Saul
my tale of medicine woe... 98.85 uai, excellent UMATing, didn't get in sheerly cause of the interview... i reckon its cause i have absolutely zero extra curricular activities, and they probably saw through my lies of sport and charity- so if you don't have to, dont lie at the interview! from what ive picked up, if they dont want you to get in, its not going to happen.
Zero extra? Sounds like me. How was your interview? And what did you say to compensate for the it? What what university is this?(it is different interviews for each university you apply to right?)
What is excellent UMATing? Any preps?

Last edited:

Saul

*ss
HSC
this was for unsw, and by excellent umating i mean i did excellently in umat. for my rants on prep courses check the med part of the unsw section... too tired to repeat

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Excellent means excellent. Dig through his old posts if you want to find out.

Wohzazz

HSC
96???? How did you managed 96 percentile with UAI of 98.85? I would of imagine heaps of people in the 99 UAI range going for med. And how did you manage 96 for interview with no extra? You must of made some impression to compensate for it

Saul

*ss
HSC
hehe, you're silly. the percentiles are only for UMAT, ie. the three parts of. we never get any interview feedback (now that pissed me off)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
apparently according to some ppl u can get feedback from UNSW..
call them up after offers are out..

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster

Looking at the ppl in Ruse, i guess whatever I can get in the UMAT and UAI, they can do too. And plus, their teachers n careers advisors prolly give em tips on how to lie n stuff, or even better - they actually DO charity n shit.
We actually get tips to lie from Dallas.

My girlfriend is going for med, and its rather amusing because she IS doing the charity work all of a sudden.. heh..

I dont really know what im talking about, but the thing is, It only seemes meaningful if youve done it for a long time <- well that's how I see it.

And when it comes down to it, try out, and if you fail, just make sure your heart wasn't set on it and you have backups..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)