Protest (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
$5 says nebuchanezzar thinks vsu was an ideological pursuit rather then giving freedom to students.
They're both the same thing in the case of the former government. "FREEDOM!" :rofl:

scarybunny said:
Priority degrees are the cheapest, with loads of scholarships available, but there still isn't a lot of competition for places. Which would suggest that the cost of the degree has nothing to do with its attractiveness.
Or that they're not advertised enough...

Stazi said:
I think the only degrees that can be justified to be free (or at least subsidised) are those that are national priorities such as nursing. From what I understand, nursing isn't that well paid and we have a shortage.
Or teaching, or medicine...Silly boy needs to research before he opens his trap. :D

Actually, or any other job once all those baby boomers start to die. :cold:

Stazi said:
The reason people become doctors isn't for purely altruistic reasons. They will become really fucking rich. To train those doctors, you need to attract the best medical teachers from around the world > this costs money. Having students pay for their degrees after graduation isn't absurd, as they will make up their fees very quickly.

Similarly, why are business subjects more expensive than arts subjects? Because people who graduate in these roles will have a higher salary. I am prepared to pay $8,000 more than Arts students for my degree because I know that I'll be earning $200K in 8 years time.

I am going to become a marketer upon graduation. Why should some plumber pay for my education? How does he benefit from my marketing? How does he benefit from someone studying gender studies? Degrees benefit the individual
Pfft. There are benefits to every degree. Communcation skills for one, which makes for a smarter and better workforce. Every degree has that. Then there's the part about most degrees actually having some employable aspect. How does a plumber benefit from an architect, doctor, teacher, nurse, engineer, librarian, chemist, actuary or vet? Oh I surely don't know. It can't be too hard to work out! :rofl:

Furthermore, to become a teacher, it's going to take me about seven or so years to complete uni. From what I remember, I'm deferring about $4000 per year to HECS. That's a $28,000 debt, and I sure as hell won't be able to pay that off quickly. Then there's also the fact that it takes away from my freedom (go overseas, spend money, help out the poor :p) after uni, which I think I deserve, since I'm heading down a career path to a national priority that everyone needs.

Stazi said:
Yes, but how many people use roads, how many people use public facilities, how many people need a better education in primary and secondary schools? Tax dollars don't JUST go to hospitals.
I don't see your point.

Stazi said:
He wasn't on a HECS degree, he was a full international student. So, this international guy should've just gotten in for free? He probably should've also received Centrelink even though he wasn't a citizen?
In a fair world, yes. Regardless, I was merely using it as an example to show a student in poverty thanks to having to pay for education. I'm very sure there are more examples closer to home. It just so happens that one came to mind. Shall I investigate further to prove you wrong, or will you bite the bullet now?

Stazi said:
Hyperbole. I'm not saying they'd crumble to the ground. I'm saying that they would have less funding. If you have less money in your wallet, will you have the funds to purchase a subscription to the latest databases, to upgrade your computers, to fund Photoshop licenses, to renovate and restore amenities, to attract talent from overseas (marketing costs money), etc etc? All of a sudden, you can't pay as high salaries as other top universities from across the world, and your academic staff becomes worse: if someone had the chance to make more money in another country where education isn't free and where the budget has to be tightened, who wouldn't go overseas?
The government has as good as promised to ensure that these things won't happen though! Argh!

Stazi said:
Furthermore, just because the ALP says something doesn't make it the truth.
I see no reason to doubt them.

Stazi said:
But what about degrees that are pretty much glorified toilet paper *coughARTScough*

should they be free? and how could you justify this if you say yes?
Yes. They make people smarter (or at least more skilled). That's hardly a bad thing.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Ideologically VSU is dubious, at least from a right wing perspective, because it introduces extra layers of regulation.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Yes. They make people smarter (or at least more skilled). That's hardly a bad thing.
No but nor is it a proper reason for the taxpayer to fund it. If you want to learn for the sake of learning but aren't going to end up with a decent job out of it you can bloody well pay for it yourself.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Or teaching, or medicine...Silly boy needs to research before he opens his trap. :D

Actually, or any other job once all those baby boomers start to die. :cold:
awwww how cute :shy: little boy likes to assume a lot of things without reading properly. I gave nursing as an example. Obviously we have a teaching shortage. From what I understand, we subsidise those degrees, though. The main reasons for the medicine shortage is that many grads go overseas, and that entry requirements have to be very harsh, since they can only accept the very best.

Pfft. There are benefits to every degree. Communcation skills for one, which makes for a smarter and better workforce. Every degree has that. Then there's the part about most degrees actually having some employable aspect. How does a plumber benefit from an architect, doctor, teacher, nurse, engineer, librarian, chemist, actuary or vet? Oh I surely don't know. It can't be too hard to work out! :rofl:
OMG LAH ROFL! wtfbbq! So cute. (Don't worry, inserting patronising emoticons doesn't jar me, it just demonstrates your stupidity).

Yes, of course there are skills that get developed with all degrees, but should the majority of people fund a small minority to develop those skills? Obviously you benefit from the existance of those positions, but again, the main benefit comes to the individual and their employer. The employer benefits from hiring an vet because they will bring in millions of revenue to their business. The employee benefits from having a vet degree because they get paid $80k/year for their expertise. The people, individually, benefit far less. Should the majority of people finance the person's degree just so they can earn money, or should the person who will actually earn the money finance their own degree?

Back to your original point in that quote: people doing degrees develop skills, such as communications skills. Those skills advantage the people who are actually doing those degrees most. Because you're less shy in public doesn't mean anything to me when I'm forced to partially pay for the development of that skill. I would think that regular schooling also develops those skills. So would working in a retail environment.

Furthermore, to become a teacher, it's going to take me about seven or so years to complete uni. From what I remember, I'm deferring about $4000 per year to HECS. That's a $28,000 debt, and I sure as hell won't be able to pay that off quickly. Then there's also the fact that it takes away from my freedom (go overseas, spend money, help out the poor :p) after uni, which I think I deserve, since I'm heading down a career path to a national priority that everyone needs.
No one is forcing you to pay that off quickly. Also, why seven years? I though education degrees were 4/5 years? Do you have to do a diploma to be allowed to teach?

Actually, this even seems quite equitable. I have to pay $8,499/year, whilst you pay $4,077/year. I pay double because I don't work in a national priority field, and because I will earn much more per year in the long term.

I don't see your point.
Ok, let me make it easier to understand.
Stas: Less than 1% of the population would be at uni, at any one time. Why should 99% of the population pay for that 1% when that money could go to better things such as hospitals?
Neb: Yes, but only 1% of people would ever be in hospital at any one time.
Stas: But those tax dollars don't just fund hospitals, but they fund roads, telecommunications, infrastructure, etc.

In a fair world, yes. Regardless, I was merely using it as an example to show a student in poverty thanks to having to pay for education. I'm very sure there are more examples closer to home. It just so happens that one came to mind. Shall I investigate further to prove you wrong, or will you bite the bullet now?
Yes, please investigate: I would love to see an example of student poverty. Show me where a DFEE/HECS student has suffered because of the HECS/DFEE costs. You won't find an example, because the student doesn't have to pay for those costs until after graduation (they may not even ever have to pay them at all). The only real expenses are textbooks and rent if you are forced to move out to attend university. However, there are many scholarship schemes for disadvantaged students which are very easy to get (particularly if moving from a rural to metro area), but I digress...after all, those costs have nothing to do with the cost of the actual degree: i.e. the HECS/DFEE repayments.

The government has as good as promised to ensure that these things won't happen though! Argh!
Are you really that stupid, or are you taking the piss? How many times historically in how many countries have governments promised that things won't happen, but they do.

Logic:
1) Uni has less money than before (the government obviously isn't going to fund non-existant places in universities, in every single university in Australia).
2) Uni becomes worse off due to the lack of money

I see no reason to doubt them.
They are a fucking political party. Of course they fucking lie and won't meet promises. Their leader has already lied numerous times.

Yes. They make people smarter (or at least more skilled). That's hardly a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

stazi

Nightman
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
No but nor is it a proper reason for the taxpayer to fund it. If you want to learn for the sake of learning but aren't going to end up with a decent job out of it you can bloody well pay for it yourself.
If you do get a job out of it that pays well, then you may as well pay for it yourself, too.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Stazi said:
Obviously we have a teaching shortage. From what I understand, we subsidise those degrees, though. The main reasons for the medicine shortage is that many grads go overseas, and that entry requirements have to be very harsh, since they can only accept the very best.
Although this is getting heavily off track, I'll bite anyway. So, I'll be back in a second while I get my Financial statement from my room.

I'm back.
EDUF1018: $499
GOVT1101: $624
CHEM1102: $889.
MATH1011: $444
MATHXXXX: $444
Total: 24UoS: $2900

Well, you were half right. Yes, it does appear that the education courses are cheaper. But then, since you have to take other subjects in order to become a teacher, apparently those "subsidies" don't go very far. Yessire, and the same applies for nursing when they have to take those big fat expensive science courses. So I was wrong in saying how much I was deferring to HECS debt. It's more around $6000 per year which means I end up with a big fat debt of around $42000 or something absurd like that. That's around a years wages for a teacher! By my estimate, throughout my career as a teacher I'll be earning around an average of $55000. So, if I'm paying 5.5% per year (as the HECS repayment outline says), it will take me a good 20 or so years for me to pay off my debt, just so I can become a teacher!

I very much doubt those problems are limited to teaching, because (believe it or not), not every uni graduate earns a fantastic $200,000 salary. Although in your dream world over in the Merewether Building, I'm sure they do. :rofl:

As for the medicine thing, I'd say it's not just limited to the prospects of working overseas (which is a problem for teacher training too). I'd say that if the government said "free degrees!" we'd resolve our shortages pretty soon. And just to be sure, you're clear on the part about education degree subsidies not being all that great, yeah?

Stazi said:
OMG LAH ROFL! wtfbbq! So cute. (Don't worry, inserting patronising emoticons doesn't jar me, it just demonstrates your stupidity).
Oh but this reaction shows otherwise. :lol:

Stazi said:
Yes, of course there are skills that get developed with all degrees, but should the majority of people fund a small minority to develop those skills?
No, you're absolutely right, more people should go to university.

Stazi said:
Obviously you benefit from the existance of those positions, but again, the main benefit comes to the individual and their employer.
You seriously suggest the benefits of a more skilled and intelligent workforce ends with the employer? Case in point: Take a look at Australia, and Burkina Faso. Which do you suppose has a higher level of education, hmm? Exactly. :)

Stazi said:
The employer benefits from hiring an vet because they will bring in millions of revenue to their business. The employee benefits from having a vet degree because they get paid $80k/year for their expertise. The people, individually, benefit far less. Should the majority of people finance the person's degree just so they can earn money, or should the person who will actually earn the money finance their own degree?
You're oversimplifying the situation again, aren't you? You've already said that the benefits of a degree aren't limited to graduates making money. They benefit society. In the case of a vet, for instance, they improve the quality of livestock. This is turn, helps the "economy" (quotes because I hate the word, and I think anyone who uses the word sounds like a dick). A better "economy" helps the individual and their quality of life, and yes, the taxpayer should have to fund this with a fraction of their wealth, rather than heavily taxing the individual.

Stazi said:
Back to your original point in that quote: people doing degrees develop skills, such as communications skills. Those skills advantage the people who are actually doing those degrees most. Because you're less shy in public doesn't mean anything to me when I'm forced to partially pay for the development of that skill. I would think that regular schooling also develops those skills. So would working in a retail environment.
Mmm, and more education helps develop those skills even more.

Stazi said:
No one is forcing you to pay that off quickly. Also, why seven years? I though education degrees were 4/5 years? Do you have to do a diploma to be allowed to teach?
Well you see, I figured that if I have both an arts and science degree, that it will allows for me to have more career opportunities. So that's a five year B.Sc/B.A thing, and two years M.Teach. I made that choice knowing it would cost more. Not that I think that's fair that I should have to pay it in the first place. :p

Stazi said:
Actually, this even seems quite equitable. I have to pay $8,499/year, whilst you pay $4,077/year. I pay double because I don't work in a national priority field, and because I will earn much more per year in the long term.
Just to bring it up, you'll be earning around four times as much as I will. Hmm. :(

Stazi said:
Ok, let me make it easier to understand.
Stas: Less than 1% of the population would be at uni, at any one time. Why should 99% of the population pay for that 1% when that money could go to better things such as hospitals?
Neb: Yes, but only 1% of people would ever be in hospital at any one time.
Stas: But those tax dollars don't just fund hospitals, but they fund roads, telecommunications, infrastructure, etc.
I think I see. It once again relates back to the point about the benefits of a degree being limited to the individual, and in the majority of cases, I don't think that's at all true. Perhaps in the wankiest of wanky arts or science degrees (physics, gender studies etc.), but that's about it.

Stazi said:
Yes, please investigate: I would love to see an example of student poverty. Show me where a DFEE/HECS student has suffered because of the HECS/DFEE costs. You won't find an example, because the student doesn't have to pay for those costs until after graduation (they may not even ever have to pay them at all). The only real expenses are textbooks and rent if you are forced to move out to attend university. However, there are many scholarship schemes for disadvantaged students which are very easy to get (particularly if moving from a rural to metro area), but I digress...after all, those costs have nothing to do with the cost of the actual degree: i.e. the HECS/DFEE repayments.
Those were the type of examples I was going to look for. So indeed, I suppose I concede this point to you. HECS probably doesn't cause poverty. DFEE, apparently (according to that international student example), very well could. This is all external to my overall point though. :D

Stazi said:
Are you really that stupid, or are you taking the piss? How many times historically in how many countries have governments promised that things won't happen, but they do.
An appeal to tradition, eh? :p But no, I'm basing this not off some appeal to authority. I'm thinking that it's been the ALP line for years, I'm thinking that their membership base would revolt if they suddenly stole funds away from universities, and I'm thinking that it's safe to trust them. It's not blind faith.

Stazi1) Uni has less money than before (the government obviously isn't going to fund non-existant places in universities said:
This assumes they'll have less money. Why is that the case?

To conclude: :rofl: :p

HSC
The state should be willing to throw in/assist to get as many people having university educations as desire to because universities are the brain/idea center of a nations economy. It's a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters sort of thing -- Even with arts degrees, say you send 1,000,000 people through to consider these concepts... chances are eventually you're going to have some brilliant ideas.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't think they should reduce HECS.

I think they should pay teachers/nurses/social workers more.

Lots and lots more, make it a really financially desirable career = more people want to do it = more competition for the course = better students.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
firstly, I don't know why I keep arguing. arguing with you is like competing against the 5th grade debate team. but, nonetheless:

Nebuchanezzar said:
Although this is getting heavily off track, I'll bite anyway. So, I'll be back in a second while I get my Financial statement from my room.

I'm back.
EDUF1018: $499
GOVT1101: $624
CHEM1102: $889.
MATH1011: $444
MATHXXXX: $444
Total: 24UoS: $2900

Well, you were half right. Yes, it does appear that the education courses are cheaper. But then, since you have to take other subjects in order to become a teacher, apparently those "subsidies" don't go very far. Yessire, and the same applies for nursing when they have to take those big fat expensive science courses. So I was wrong in saying how much I was deferring to HECS debt. It's more around $6000 per year which means I end up with a big fat debt of around $42000 or something absurd like that. That's around a years wages for a teacher! By my estimate, throughout my career as a teacher I'll be earning around an average of $55000. So, if I'm paying 5.5% per year (as the HECS repayment outline says), it will take me a good 20 or so years for me to pay off my debt, just so I can become a teacher!
You can also pay in advance which gives you discounts, so you don't have to repay your debt over X number of years: you can shorten it significantly. Also, are you saying your cap will be $55k/year? You'll never earn more than that? You'll never do HSC marking? You'll never make use of quite a few other income supplementation schemes available to teachers during their holidays? It is sad that you have to pay more for supplementary subjects, however, and I would advocate that the debt you incur on the teaching degree be lower for subjects from outside your faculty, too.

However, couldn't you get a scholarship if you agreed to teach in a country town? That's where the teaching crisis really is, as far as I'm aware. They're not struggling to fill suburban schools (although there's still a problem).

I very much doubt those problems are limited to teaching, because (believe it or not), not every uni graduate earns a fantastic $200,000 salary. Although in your dream world over in the Merewether Building, I'm sure they do. :rofl:
orly? I think we're well aware that not many students would reach that salary and they would be earning a cap of around $80k, on average. However, compare that to people who didn't get a degree. You make up the money very quickly. Do you think postgraduate studies should also be free? The reason people do postgrad, such as MBAs is because they pay $100,000 for their degree, but start earning $30k+/year more than they did originally, thus after 4 years you've already made that money back.

As for the medicine thing, I'd say it's not just limited to the prospects of working overseas (which is a problem for teacher training too). I'd say that if the government said "free degrees!" we'd resolve our shortages pretty soon. And just to be sure, you're clear on the part about education degree subsidies not being all that great, yeah?
Oh right...so if the government suddenly said "free medical degrees" all those people who didn't get in to medicine would suddenly apply? Would all those people who are taking Law degrees suddenly reconsider and do medicine? The cost of a degree isn't a major factor in deciding which degree you choose. I didn't decide against doing a commercial law subject because it cost me $1000 - I'm deferring the fees, and if it pays off than it pays off. Why don't you create a poll: why didn't you apply for medicine. See if anyone selects "Too expensive" as an option.

No, you're absolutely right, more people should go to university.
Then we don't have plumbers and other tradesmen which are also very important.

You seriously suggest the benefits of a more skilled and intelligent workforce ends with the employer? Case in point: Take a look at Australia, and Burkina Faso. Which do you suppose has a higher level of education, hmm? Exactly. :)
....no, i'm not suggesting it ends with the employer. Seriously, what is wrong with your selective reading. I outlined that although it benefits society, as a whole, it primarily benefits two parties: the employer and employee. Your socialist friends would say that it benefits only the employer, so I'm surprised that you don't subscribe to that view.

You're oversimplifying the situation again, aren't you? You've already said that the benefits of a degree aren't limited to graduates making money. They benefit society. In the case of a vet, for instance, they improve the quality of livestock. This is turn, helps the "economy" (quotes because I hate the word, and I think anyone who uses the word sounds like a dick). A better "economy" helps the individual and their quality of life, and yes, the taxpayer should have to fund this with a fraction of their wealth, rather than heavily taxing the individual.
You need to look at smaller-scale models to see the true benefits. And yes, it would help the "economy" (and why do you hate the word, how else would you name the economy). However, one could argue that anything that we do helps the economy. By purchasing an Xbox 360, I'm putting money into the pockets of EB Games, who in turn use that money to put pay their employees. The employees use that money to pay for their kids schooling, to pay their local mechanic for the car, to invest in shares, etc. So by buying a 360, I'm helping the economy. Perhaps we should start taxing you and me to put those guys through 'retail training'? Should we tax everyone else so that we can all make purchases that would help the economy?

Mmm, and more education helps develop those skills even more.
I think that actual interaction in a real-life situation would develop those skills more than a theory does. Many students don't participate in class, nor do they do oral presentations. So, should we not fund their degrees since they don't develop those skills?

Well you see, I figured that if I have both an arts and science degree, that it will allows for me to have more career opportunities. So that's a five year B.Sc/B.A thing, and two years M.Teach. I made that choice knowing it would cost more. Not that I think that's fair that I should have to pay it in the first place. :p
*drum roll* and there we have it. The reason you're advocating free education is because you, yourself, don't want to pay for it. You took the longer route when shorter routes are available. We can now also start talking about discrimination: how much should we finance of an individual's degree? What if someone does a 5 year degree, followed by honours, then a masters degree, then a further phd, where they remain in university for 10+ years, whilst the taxpayer is paying for it. Why should they finance this person, when another can do a degree in 3-5 years, graduate, then get a job and start contributing to the "economy".

Just to bring it up, you'll be earning around four times as much as I will. Hmm. :(
Yes, although you'll also get 3-4 months of paid holidays/year.

I think I see. It once again relates back to the point about the benefits of a degree being limited to the individual, and in the majority of cases, I don't think that's at all true. Perhaps in the wankiest of wanky arts or science degrees (physics, gender studies etc.), but that's about it.
No, it goes back to the idea that regardless of degree, the degree primarily benefits the employer (esp. if you're Marxist) and the person with the degree. Employer: the person you hire has a lot of 'free training' (i.e. the person paid for their own training = university)
Employee: you have the right skills to get hired and will be making more money than people without degrees

Those were the type of examples I was going to look for. So indeed, I suppose I concede this point to you. HECS probably doesn't cause poverty. DFEE, apparently (according to that international student example), very well could. This is all external to my overall point though. :D
Sorry, I thought DFEE = HECS? It's not external to your overall point though: Basically degrees should be free because education should be free because it helps society. If degrees aren't free than people can't afford degrees and people who want to go to uni won't go to uni.

An appeal to tradition, eh? :p But no, I'm basing this not off some appeal to authority. I'm thinking that it's been the ALP line for years, I'm thinking that their membership base would revolt if they suddenly stole funds away from universities, and I'm thinking that it's safe to trust them. It's not blind faith.
Just like "tearing up workchoices"..?

The effects won't be as apparent. Most people won't realise that money is being 'stolen' from universities (well...funding simply will decline, after all), but gradually, over a period of time, universities will have less money available to them (unless taxes go up, or the government reorients its funds)

This assumes they'll have less money. Why is that the case?

To conclude: :rofl: :p
Are you that daft?

Ok, I have 10 people who subscribe to my video store company. My company makes $1,000/year. I have 7 customers who subscribe to a rental plan in which they pay $100/year giving them unlimited weekly rentals. 2 customers pay $150/year to get unlimited new release rentals. The government passes legislation that states I have to accept everyone at the same amount of money.

This means I have 9 customers giving me $900/year, as opposed to 9 giving me $1,000/year. I make less money.

Now, lets say a university will delete their full-fee places. A similar thing happens.

-------

I'm actually very surprised you're an ALP supporter, and not a supporter of the socialist/communist parties.

Also, let's work out how much the government would have to fund if they make education free. It costs $6,000/year for the average student to complete their degree. Now, USYD has 30,726 undergraduate students. This equals to $184 million for USYD alone! USYD obviously has a lot of undergrads, but assuming 20,000 is the average, imagine how expensive it would be to fund all the public universities around Australia per year? I would assume that it'd cost over $1 billion unrecoverable dollars/year!

HSC
scarybunny said:

Lots and lots more, make it a really financially desirable career = more people want to do it = more competition for the course = better students.
TBH I don't know if money is the principle reason people don't take up these careers... I think perhaps more shows like "Boston Public" that glorify the life of teachers on tv is more likely to increase the number of people wanting to become teachers than pay increases (unless we go crazy).

I'd say pay increases are better for retention.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
TBH I don't know if money is the principle reason people don't take up these careers... I think perhaps more shows like "Boston Public" that glorify the life of teachers on tv is more likely to increase the number of people wanting to become teachers than pay increases (unless we go crazy).

I'd say pay increases are better for retention.
you're overlooking parental influences in degree selection: "you'll be poor: i want you to be a lawyer or accountant" (this is known as the Asian Parents Sydnrome)

HSC
stazi said:
you're overlooking parental influences in degree selection: "you'll be poor: i want you to be a lawyer or accountant" (this is known as the Asian Parents Sydnrome)
Why aren't there a shitload of engineers then? I don't doubt it'd have an effect, but I still think people stay away from teaching because they don't like the social stigma/life of being a teacher.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm not arguing that it's not other influences (after all, who didn't want to be a lawyer because of how cool it looked in movies), but money is certainly a factor. Lots of people don't choose to go down the acting route because they know how stressful it would be to be left without any work (that was a key consideration of mine when I was choosing my path).

bustinjustin

HSC
scarybunny said:

Yeah, wages could be increased to provide a stronger financial incentive, but as previously mentioned, do people really do these jobs for the money? Ideally, do we want nurses/doctors/teachers who only do it for the money?

Wouldn't it be 'cheaper' to wholly subsidise a teacher/nurse/doctor's education rather than pay each of them tens of thousands of dollars more each year for however long they work in that field?

Edit: That said, I realise that making these courses 'free' and other courses like Law expensive mean poorer students might be skewed towards the cheaper courses. And I agree that the courses need to attract 'better' students. I just don't think the financial aspect would do that much more to 'glamourise' the course. I think all the media and stories about nurses, and teachers in either system, and all the crap they go through, do more for (bad) marketing than the prospect of earning a bit more money.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bustinjustin said:
Yeah, wages could be increased to provide a stronger financial incentive, but as previously mentioned, do people really do these jobs for the money? Ideally, do we want nurses/doctors/teachers who only do it for the money?
I believe that the argument is not to increase them to crazy levels, but to increase them to attractive levels. It's unlikely that someone would go "oh, teachers are getting paid $65k/year, instead of 55k - I really want to be a teacher now". It is, however, likely that someone who is quite interested in teaching but is afraid to go into that profession for financial reasons may consider doing a teaching degree

Wouldn't it be 'cheaper' to wholly subsidise a teacher/nurse/doctor's education rather than pay each of them tens of thousands of dollars more each year for however long they work in that field?
It depends on what's the greater incentive. I don't think many people would be swayed to choose one of those degrees based on a degree subsidy, but they would based on an income increase.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Great discussion.

TBH i think while teacher's might be slightly underpaid, all in all its about right. When you consider the holidays they get, and the potential avenues for pay increase (Head teacher, vice principle, hsc marking, tutoring, etc) it seems rather reasonable.

Aren't after like 7 years teachers on like 68-70 grand or something ?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
p.s. someone smarter like waf can continue the argument when neb replies. It's funny that I'm an ALP supporter (to an extent). However, to your detriment, I'm also a logical person who doesn't limit myself to the views of a particular ideology.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
RE teachers' wages.

I agree that we don't want people doing teaching for the money. To be a good teacher, you actually need to want to do teaching. There's a lot of effort that comes in outside the 6 hours spent at the school, and if you're just in it for the money your students will suffer.

It just seems like a pity that top HSC students have no desire to do education.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)