Psychology or Speech Pathology (1 Viewer)

kamalpradeep

HSC
N/A
Hi All,
I am considering both Speech Path, OT and Psychology but do not know which one to select.
I spoke to few Speech Pathology students and they said that it is getting very difficult to get a job as a speech pathologist.
Could not find any Psychology or OT students to find out about the current market for the Psychology and OT students.

Any opinion / experience ?

Last edited:

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I have a friend who did Speech Pathology. She graduated last year and is working full time.

I would say Speech Pathology and OT would be easier to get a job in straight from uni as opposed to Psychology where you need a masters degree for clinical. Psychology would be more useful if you wanted to go into management/marketing etc

si2136

HSC
N/A
The market is really good for OT.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're looking at how easy it is to get a job do Speech or OT.

Or do med and become a psychiatrist.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
heaps of speech roles available rurally. Much more competitive in major cities, especially Sydney.

Psych as an undergrad isn't vocational so you won't have an obvious job at the end of it, you'll need to do postgrad to become a qualified psychologist and that's EXTREMELY difficult to get into. But psych can lead to heaps of other jobs like any generalist grad job, public service, admin, marketing, etcetc

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Hi All,
I am considering both Speech Path, OT and Psychology but do not know which one to select.
I spoke to few Speech Pathology students and they said that it is getting very difficult to get a job as a speech pathologist.
Could not find any Psychology or OT students to find out about the current market for the Psychology and OT students.

hey, have you received my message? I inboxed you back twice but not sure if it went through because my page isn't displaying any sent messages..

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hi All,

Hi! :D

After browsing through the responses, I agree generally with them :) Speech Pathology jobs are quite competitive in the city (e.g. Sydney). However, there are opportunities to get job experience rurally or having a locum position. However, talk around my Uni is that it is generally easier to get a job with Speech if they roll out the NDIS.

For OT, the availability of jobs is similar to speech although (not 100% sure on this) it's a bit harder to get a job. I tried asking my OT friends why, they just said it was that way...? (Sorry...) For psych, not too sure, except what everyone is saying is true about how usually you need post-grad qualifications become a clinical psychologist. If I remember correctly, undergrad psych is useful in the HR/ Marketing fields of business, or becoming a councillor.

I recently finished First Year Speech Path at USYD, so if you have any general questions about the degree and feel free to ask. Good luck on results day and hope to see you there next year! ^__^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)