• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Psychology (1 Viewer)

frazzle

HSC
are you doing a psych degree?

i have the UAC guide in front of me, and i see a B psych (honours) too, as well as all the ones you suggested. is it better to do that instead of doing it through arts? again, i see no combined course with the straight psych.

i'll definitely take them into account. thanks!

frazzle

HSC
it's good to have a goal =) what other courses are you looking at besides psych?

i'm deciding between design, architecture and psych.

why don't they have combined degrees? [in sydney] =(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
frazzel, Psyc is 10% similar to Society and Culture. It has some stuff in the preliminary Society and Culture, such as Piaget, Erikson etc. And some stuff on the HSC.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
you guys are giving the wrong impression of psychology. You guys are soooo off track! Psychology is a major mix of both society and culture (but i rekon only like 5%) the majority of psychology is SCIENCE and anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously diluted ....psychology is the study of behaviour, not froma society and culture perspective but a SCIENCE perspective.

To me I'de describe psychology as... philosophical concepts of human behaviour explained by science. Like the medical conditions of skitzophrenic people, drugs they need, psychotherepy different options for treatment etc... WHY they hear voices etc thats only one aspect of Psychologgy there's many others but majority is science.

O.k i feel sorry for the people that really want to know.....
If your desperate to combine a full Psychology degree with something else like Law.... do the

arts-psychology/Law degree- if your GPA is good enoughh... you do honours in psychology and at the end... you graduate with a FULL Psychology degree and a FULL Law degree.

I am currently doing the arts-psychology degree... it's pretty much equivalent to an B Psychology (honours) because you compete with others doing your degree to do get into Psychology (4th year) honours at the end of your third year. But even though people in B psychology (honours) are supposedly allowed to do Psychology 4th year honours automatically... this is not the case because they have to in the end keep up a high GPA to keep their degree... Enough said.

If your desperate for more information. Please feel free to email me at ac_sebastian@hotmail.com

Good luck with your uni preferences.

Oh if you want to know what the difference is between science-psychology and arts-psychology..... it's just the subjects you do... like seriously ... i chose arts-psychology coz u get to pick pretty much whatever you want... i was doing marketing, statistics and psychology in first semester and this semester im doing human geography, computer programming, educational psychology and psychology 2..... as you can see all my subjects are everywhere.. the beauty of an arts degree u can choose whatever.. whereas with science-psychology your restricted to well u got it.. sciencey type subjects like advanced bio, chemistry, maths etc.. like ewww to that lol

Amryllis

HSC
If you're really into psych, you should try to get into BPsych. If not, then BSci(Adv) majoring in psych is the next best thing because you only need a 65 average to get into 4th year honours, while BSci majoring in psych requires a 75 average. If you want to do psych honours, DO NOT major psych in BArts because you can only do psych honours through the science degrees.

You can't combine BPsych with anything at UNSW... but as mentioned before psych at UNSW is the best. If you plan on doing psych post grad i.e. psych masters, you need to have done psych honours and have gotten a good enough result to be accepted. As far as I know, you need a first-class honours to get into clinical masters, and at least a second-class 1st division honours for organisational and forensic psych. It's extremely competitive. And bear in mind that it's not just the UNSW people who apply for masters at UNSW.

Big thanks to clairegirl for sticking up for psych! You rock! I always get annoyed when people bag out psych - saying that it's not a science (but arts) or that it's not hard. It's just as hard as any course can be, and whether you find it easy/hard depends on your strengths and weaknesses. People who think psych is an arts subject seriously don't know anything about psych.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
clairegirl, we have not giving any wrong impressions. I am giving my opinion as I have done a Psyc subject in UNSW and Society and Culture, and offering my points of view, so that people can gain insight and make their course preference more clearly...

Amryllis

HSC
Survivor39, you did Psych 1A right? I think the only really boring one would have been States of Consciousness (we had a really boring lecturer last year, but I think you guys would have got someone else). I think the content of all the other topics were good - although a couple of the lecturers can be rather dull.

For those of you who are wondering what topics there are in Psych 1A, here's a list:

- psychological perspectives and methods
- child development
- adult development
- social psychology
- states of consciousness
- personality and individual differences

That was the order last year. They might change it from year to year.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i hate you people that are claiming psych is a science.
im a BSc student, and I'm doing psych, but I flat out refuse to acknowledge it as a science, because no matter how hard they try, or how anal they get, it is NOT science.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
so now it isnt a science? oh well thanks for that-
if ur gonna say something- could u please explain ur opinion on the matter

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
because its not a science!
people claim that its a science simply because of the stats side of it, but bugger off is it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
are we just going to go in circles here?

all im saying is that i do not believe it is a science. science to me is the 'true' science, chem, bio, physics, that sorta stuff. the psych people want to be taken seriously and thought of as scientists, but their just not (keep in mind, i feel the same about geog)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
to me, yes, for sure.
this is gunna sound really confusing, but its more sciencey than arts, but more artsy than science.

Amryllis

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
science to me is the 'true' science, chem, bio, physics, that sorta stuff. the psych people want to be taken seriously and thought of as scientists, but their just not
That's a mistaken belief that a lot of people who don't understand psych have. It's quite disappointing that someone who is actually doing psych would think that.

Some people don't take psych seriously because they focus on the "pop psychology" aspect of it - you see it constantly in the media - people who pretend they know something about psych but actually are just B/S-ing.

Psych is as much of a science as what these people would call "true" science - the "hard" ones i.e. physics, chemistry and biology. Psych is a scientific study of human behaviour, which actually involves SCIENTIFIC research in many domains, which often encompass biology, chemistry and sometime even a little bit of physics.

Last edited:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
thats interesting- but how does this really relate to the overall aspect of psychology?

r u trying to say i should re evaluate my options as its not what it appears to be?

btw- ur sigged

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i don't think you necessarilly need to reevaluate your options, just don't go in expecting it to be this hard, empirical science, like the other sciences.
yes, i admit there are sciencey aspects to the bpsych degree (stats, a bit of bio, that sort of thing), but it can also be very artsy (oh the joys of "introduction to the philosophy of psychology")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)