• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Psychology (2 Viewers)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Ceara said:
*grins*
They record most of the first and second year psych lectures at Flinders too - it's great!
I'm doing one second year topic as an elective this semester, lovin' the fact that I can watch it online over the uni network, even better than just on video!
Third year topics at flinders don't get recoded, except for plain audio, and not all of them do. Getting a HD is a great start!!!

Better get to catching up. If it's any consolation, I have to re-teach myself how to use SPSS (a statistical analysis program, if you haven't encountered it before, you will!) to do my major project for research methods... Ewww!
What do you mean you can watch it online??? they videorecord the lectures!! wow!! that'de be awsome except it would hog my bandwidth!
And no i havn't encountered SPSS lol... it sounds gross lol
what are discipline of psychology are u majoring in/interesting in getting into etc???

MouNtY

ok i've tried to read every post in this and i couldn't so i kinda skimmed over erything...and i'm sorry if it's already been stated but could somebody please tell me the difference between ...Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology)...and...Bachelor of Psychology with Honours?

i would really really like to know.....so could someone fill me in plz

Amryllis

HSC
DooNy_TeChY said:
i'm sorry if it's already been stated but could somebody please tell me the difference between ...Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology)...and...Bachelor of Psychology with Honours?
Which uni are you referring to? I haven't heard of anyone doing psych under Bachelor of Social Science at UNSW - if it's not BPsych, it's either through BSci (normal and advanced) or BArts. But I suppose BSocSci would be similar to BArts majoring in psych, which means that you cannot do psych honours in 4th year unless you transferred to either BSci (normal and advanced) or BPsych. For BPsych, honours in 4th year is pretty much built in - you only need to maintain a 65 average to get into it (same as Advanced science, while BSci needs a 75 average).

MouNtY

so does that mean its just better to do the BPsych straight away rather than do the BSoSci one?.....i was just wondering wat the difference was bcoz those courses are offered at two diffunis and BPsych is at CSU which is further away....so i was wondering if it would make a difference which coures i do

Amryllis

HSC
If you're aiming to make a career out of psych it's better to do it through BPsych because you're more likely to get to do honours that way. After that you can do post grad to become a psychologist (masters) or an academic (PhD). And it also has a certain prestige attached to doing BPsych, rathering than majoring psych through another degree since it's more recognised.

I'm sure BPsych is offerred at most unis (UNSW, USyd, Macquarie..).

MouNtY

well yeah i was kinda planning on making a career of psychology so yeah i'd wanna do the course that would make me look better.....the BPsych courses that i wanted to do is at CSU and SCU

Ceara

HSC
N/A
Clairegirl - yep, they put the lectures on video and also on the internet in quicktime streaming. The lectures do suck up a fair bit of bandwidth - but thats not an issue for me since I live on campus and my pc is technically on the university network - anything hosted on the uni network doesnt count towards my data limits and displays super quickly :D

And SPSS is gross :p Ugh. Statistical analysis is entirely tiresome, albeit useful.

My main interest is certainly in clinical psychology, with a bent towards adolescent and developmental psychology although I am also interested in the anxiety disorders, such as OCD. How about you? Where do your interests lie?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i don't want to be one of those marriage councillers or helping adolescents get over their anorexia etc...

i want to do research psychology... i can't picture myself being one of those people that give one on one therepy sessions.

i just want to sit on my ass read academic articles and write metaanalysis's (research as much as possible and combine all research and summarise it all) i love writing and then apply my theory and then get praised that it works.. LOL well thats what i want.. it wont happen that way.. im thinking of changing to human resource degree... but i can't picture myself not doing psychology subjects n e more. so im having second thoughts.

im interested in neuroscience

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)