Public transport noob~halp. (1 Viewer)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
So I've just moved to Sydney (not used to pre-paid busses coming from Wollongongian territory) and I'm going to be taking the bus to uni, so I thought I'd buy one of the weekly travelten ticket things.

Apparently I am in the 'zone 3' distance from home to uni. But I don't get it... How do the bus drivers know how far you're travelling? Isn't the important thing just whether your ticket beeps when you put it in the machine? ... I'd rather pay $8 a week for a zone 1 ticket than $17 for a zone 3... Am I missing something? Wouldn't everyone exploit this system?!

Someone educate me.

Also, hope uni is going well for everyone :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Most of the time if it beeps you're fine but if a ticket checking guy comes on your bus you're fucked and also it's honest to pay the correct fare.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
The bus drivers don't know or care so long as you dip something (i.e. the zone 1) something. Ticket inspectors would care probably, although I've never encountered one yet.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So I've just moved to Sydney (not used to pre-paid busses coming from Wollongongian territory) and I'm going to be taking the bus to uni, so I thought I'd buy one of the weekly travelten ticket things.

Apparently I am in the 'zone 3' distance from home to uni. But I don't get it... How do the bus drivers know how far you're travelling? Isn't the important thing just whether your ticket beeps when you put it in the machine? ... I'd rather pay $8 a week for a zone 1 ticket than $17 for a zone 3... Am I missing something? Wouldn't everyone exploit this system?!

Someone educate me.

Also, hope uni is going well for everyone :)
Hai Deer,

Yes - you'll find that when you actually go to the place to buy these tickets from home - the Zone 1 or Zone 2 tickets most likely won't be available and thus you must purchase the Zone 3 ticket automatically.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Ohhh ticket inspectors. Right. I didn't know they existed. ;p I've been catching buses for the last two weeks and haven't seen any. Are they common? Do they go on the busy metro buses?

But then also, does it say on your ticket where you came from? Couldn't you just say that you just got on at the last stop? /still confus.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Hai Deer,

Yes - you'll find that when you actually go to the place to buy these tickets from home - the Zone 1 or Zone 2 tickets most likely won't be available and thus you must purchase the Zone 3 ticket automatically.
Garh, whut? I'm going from Kensington to USyd (I know, going to the wrong uni hah, UNSW so close...) so how would they know that I bought it at Kensington? I'm sure they would sell zone 1 tickets.

Kralex

HSC
Just buy a zone 1 and if you ever encounter a ticket inspector just ask em to cut you a break cause you accidentally fell asleep thanks to a rough week. Hop off next stop, catch next bus :p

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
The zone just says how far (by "zones" usually done by suburbs) u can travel, (doesn't matter where you buy the ticket).
And the ticket says the time when u dip it so the ticket officer should know if you did the right one...you can try argue though, kinda hard if u've been on the bus for 40 mins with a zone 1 though.
Its just an honesty thing. You could also just walk on the bus if theres lots of people and the driver wouldnt know.
I'm pretty sure if you used zone 1 tickets for the whole year, even if you got fined once (should only be a few hundred at most?) you'd make your money back.
From 7 or so years of public transport, I've been checked like 3 - 5 times.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Garh, whut? I'm going from Kensington to USyd (I know, going to the wrong uni hah, UNSW so close...) so how would they know that I bought it at Kensington? I'm sure they would sell zone 1 tickets.
But isn't Kensington part of zone 1?

If you mean "Can I travel to Kensington and then just buy a Zone 1 ticket?", you may be caught when travelling to there without a ticket. When you travel back, you may be caught with a Zone 1 ticket in a Zone 3 area.

They usually don't check though. Still, it's pretty cheap with concession. $28 or so.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
In my 1.5 years at uni I have never even seen a ticket inspector, let alone been checked by one. Still its honest to pay the correct fare. Sydney buses don't suck as much as Cityrail Trains.

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
hey deer

first off, fuck honesty in this scenario, the system is rorting you anyways so take this advice and live by it: buy zone 1 tickets all the time.

you will almost NEVER be checked, as timothy up there provides evidence, 3-5 times over 7 years. wat the fuck bro its beautiful, you'll be paying half price, and even wen u DO get fined (which, if its the same as cityrail, is ~ 200 dollars) thats worth 22 weeks; 5-6 months. risk it bro, risk it. you will only win. fuck the system.

also sorry about the crazy way im coming across, blazed as a motherfucker.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
hey deer
so take this advice and live by it: buy zone 1 tickets all the time.
I agre, I jsut always use the blue zone 1 ticket. As a side note, how are you even supposed to know whether you should use a zone 1,2,3 ticket (without looking on their website, i.e. if you are at a bus-stop)?

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
Apparently in Europe, the entire EU records you if you are caught travelling with a wrong or no ticket. So finding a job there if you get caught is quite hard.
Proof or gtfo. Also, lol that shit does not happen here, rest assured.

I agre, I jsut always use the blue zone 1 ticket. As a side note, how are you even supposed to know whether you should use a zone 1,2,3 ticket (without looking on their website, i.e. if you are at a bus-stop)?
its impossible to tell on your own which ticket you should buy, just buy zone 1s, no-one is losing.. honestly.. everyone still wins

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Apparently in Europe, the entire EU records you if you are caught travelling with a wrong or no ticket. So finding a job there if you get caught is quite hard.
Here, I don't know if there is such thing. But I've never ever seen a inspector on a bus.
Agreed with Stampede, irrelevant, unproven shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)