Pushing the limit.. (1 Viewer)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
just wondering if anyone has any idea..

what would be the absolute fastest speeds i can be caught doing by the police where i can expect to a) keep my licence, and b) lose my licence but stay out of jail? (assuming the police ever stop me) :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say it all depends on context. If you can prove you had a damn good reason to speed (maybe there was a maniac holding a gun to your head as you drove?) then I'm pretty sure they'd grant you some leniency.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
45km/h over the speed limit can get your licence suspended for 6 months. Between 30 and 45 is 4 points and $590.
So if you are in 110 zone you can go 155 without losing your licence (if you have at least 4 points left)

Usually I try to stick to less than 140, that way I will only lose 3 points instead of 4. So I can get caught speeding up to 3 times at that speed before losing my licence. The demerit points for 0-15 are the same as 0-30. So if you are going more than about 10 over the limit you may aswell do the entire 30 anyway.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
45km/h over the speed limit can get your licence suspended for 6 months. Between 30 and 45 is 4 points and $590.
So if you are in 110 zone you can go 155 without losing your licence (if you have at least 4 points left)

Usually I try to stick to less than 140, that way I will only lose 3 points instead of 4. So I can get caught speeding up to 3 times at that speed before losing my licence. The demerit points for 0-15 are the same as 0-30. So if you are going more than about 10 over the limit you may aswell do the entire 30 anyway.
can you go 155? i thought if you went above 125 you get your license suspended, because 110 is the highest on our roads...

and i think going the full 30 is slightly dumb based on that theory. i was going out of strathfield the other day during school hours, and i know that there are coppers hiding behind a particular tree holding a radar. almost every time me and my mates have passed that area during school hours there is a officer holding a radar gun. anyhows, i kept my eye on the road (and the trees) and i saw a clearing on the right hand lane, so i took it and floored the heck out of it. as luck would have it, the tree which i knew the copper would be behind was about 20 metres ahead, and since my car has a small rocket attached to it, naturally the gun would pull itself towards my car. as the pedal touched the ground i immediately lifted it and gave a quick press on the brakes. he had caught me at about 45-50, but didnt do anything other than look at me as i happily cruised past him. that is why i dont cruise over 70 anywhere. any higher and i would have to be going past 90.

thank goodness for police discretion. :rolleyes:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
iamsickofyear12 said:
But then whilst demerit points remain the same- the fine goes up!

If you're really game, you could always try to beat this:

... or maybe beat my uncle's driving at least.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree demerit points are important, but you might as well take into account any other costs which are involved when speeding.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
You can usually get let off scott free if you are either doing 10% or 7km/h under the speed limit.... that's the general rule.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
nah, if you are doing more than 15km under the speed limit for no good reason, it is a finable offence but not immediate

transcendent

HSC
N/A
ha! the chances of getting fined for slow driving is next to zero. it should be a hangable offense.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
seremify007 said:
But then whilst demerit points remain the same- the fine goes up!

If you're really game, you could always try to beat this:
http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtrspeedo2jpwk5.jpghttp://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1431/gtrspeedo2jpwk5.th.jpg

... or maybe beat my uncle's driving at least.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7415/photo0030cj4.th.jpg
dude, the pics are too small to see the numbers, but i can sorta make out the needle. is the first doing 200 and your uncle (?) doing 180?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The first is doing 260-280. Though you can knock 20 off for speedo calibration.

As far as what you can do:

45+ is on the spot six month suspension if you are pulled over, fixed camera its just points and fine. At a guess past say 180km they could charge you for reckless driving, which could land you in jail.

Really though if you are contemplating these speeds the limit is not the law but the car, road and bravery. eg generally a road-car will not be happy or in any way safe past say 200km. Then the car will need to be more and more of a purpose built track-attack car past that. 300km is nations cup monaro kind of speeds (though 911 Turbos, etc will get up there).

Then there is the road as a general statement 150 is the fastest you will be able to go on a non-highway/airstrip. Airstrip or race track will be the place to find v-max.

Then there is driver bravery and skill. At these speeds in road cars and your skill level bravery is what you are relying on. And you will need it, steering control will be marginal as you approach v-max. Infact all control will be, the only thing you are doing is holding on to the wheel and holding the accelorator down. Slowing will take some skill as it must be gradual.

pottsy44

HSC
you forgot to mention stupidity lol, u have to be stupid aswell to speed at such highs speeds. Hence i call myself stupid too, as i have pushed my car to the 'limit' for speed and handling.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
loquasagacious said:
The first is doing 260-280. Though you can knock 20 off for speedo calibration.
The speedo actually was recalibrated after all the mods- it should be pretty accurate.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
katietheskatie said:
really, i thought you automatically got booked if you were going under the speed limit ;)
It's good someone is making note of my tiny mistakes ;)

OVER OVER OVER OVER OVER

:D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
bizadfar said:
Serimify your uncle in that chunky 7 series? lol...
LOL yep. It's got a modified/tuned 5.4L V12 in it though so chunky yes, but slow, probably not.

(EDIT: Come to think of it, that photo was taken in the 740iL - so it's only a 4.4L v8)

As for the M3 reaching 260km/h- I'm guessing the speed limiter was removed?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)