Q (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
a projectile is fired vertically upwards from the earths surface with velocity U m/s. The retardation due to gravity is given by the law k/x^2 where x is the distance of the projectile from the centre of teh earth, and k is a constant. The acceleration due to gravity on the earths surface is g. The earths radius is R. Neglecting the air resistance show that if U^2 = gR, then the projectile reaches the height R above the earths surface. What is the time for this journey?

Ok i do all the fundamental stuff in deriving this but i get R(gR-v^2) / (v^2 + gr). Wont cancel :/
As with the method from post #23, above, we have the origin of motion (x = 0) at the centre of the Earth. We have acceleration governed by:

x'' = -k / x<sup>2</sup>, for x &ge; R

We require that x'' = -g at x = R, and so k = gR<sup>2</sup>. Thus, we have x'' = -gR<sup>2</sup> / x<sup>2</sup>, for x &ge; R.

Using this equation with the boundary condition that v = +U at x = +R and x'' = d/dx(v<sup>2</sup> / 2), we find that
v<sup>2</sup> = U<sup>2</sup> - 2gR + 2gR<sup>2</sup> / x

So, put v = 0 and U<sup>2</sup> = gR, and you get 0 = -gR + 2gR<sup>2</sup> / x, which gives x = 2R. That is, the max height (where the particle stops) is 2R from the origin, or R above the surface.

Are you also having a problem with the time part of the question?

CrashOveride

HSC
Oh dear, all t'was needed was to put v=0 in my expression above. I'll have a go at the time part :)

HSC
y = f(x)...sketch y = Ln[f(x)]

how do you do these..? i hate these ones! :(

sorry about the diagram..it's meant to be a cubic

CrashOveride

HSC
CM_Tutor said:
As with the method from post #23, above, we have the origin of motion (x = 0) at the centre of the Earth. We have acceleration governed by:

x'' = -k / x<sup>2</sup>, for x &ge; R

We require that x'' = -g at x = R, and so k = gR<sup>2</sup>. Thus, we have x'' = -gR<sup>2</sup> / x<sup>2</sup>, for x &ge; R.

Using this equation with the boundary condition that v = +U at x = +R and x'' = d/dx(v<sup>2</sup> / 2), we find that
v<sup>2</sup> = U<sup>2</sup> - 2gR + 2gR<sup>2</sup> / x

So, put v = 0 and U<sup>2</sup> = gR, and you get 0 = -gR + 2gR<sup>2</sup> / x, which gives x = 2R. That is, the max height (where the particle stops) is 2R from the origin, or R above the surface.

Are you also having a problem with the time part of the question?
Ok i took dx/dt from v<sup>2</sup> = U<sup>2</sup> - 2gR + 2gR<sup>2</sup> / x and then attempted to integrate the RHS from R to 2R but i got something which i dont think is easily integratable. I tried on integrator online and it was some large expression. :/

Rorix

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
how do you do these..? i hate these ones! :(

sorry about the diagram..it's meant to be a cubic

ln1=0
f(x)>0
as f(x) -> 0, ln f(x) -> -infinity
so you have asymptotes x=0, whatever the 2nd intercept is
ln f(x) = 0 in the middle at the peak there
then another asymtote at the 3rd intercept, crosses x axis when f(x)=1, then f(x) -> infinity rather slooooooowly

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
CrashOveride, have you tried:

Putting in expression for U<sup>2</sup> and making x the subject, then putting this into the expression for x'' (so you have a function of v), and using x'' = dv/dt, integrating with respect to v from v = &radic;(gr) to v = 0?

Just a thought - I haven't done it, so it might not work, but it looks to be worth a try...

HSC
Rorix said:
ln1=0
f(x)>0
as f(x) -> 0, ln f(x) -> -infinity
so you have asymptotes x=0, whatever the 2nd intercept is
ln f(x) = 0 in the middle at the peak there
then another asymtote at the 3rd intercept, crosses x axis when f(x)=1, then f(x) -> infinity rather slooooooowly
cool..that helped a lot. thanks1!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
CrashOveride - I tried the method I suggested - it's messy, but it seems to work. I get the required time as

t = (&pi; + 2)&radic;R / 2&radic;g = 2077.5 ... s

Does this match your answer / the answer given in the book?

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
That is the correct answer.

I got x as a function of v and subbed back into x'' = -gR^2.m / x^2
And it appears im going to get a -ve time now....and also how did you eliminate the m ?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I did not have an 'm' anywhere, so I'm not sure where yours comes from. We started with x'' = -gR<sup>2</sup> / x<sup>2</sup>, so there shouldn't be an 'm'.

When I wrote this out, I actually took a slightly different approach. I

* put U<sup>2</sup> = gR into v<sup>2</sup> = U<sup>2</sup> - 2gR + 2gR<sup>2</sup> / x
* rearranged to get 1 / x = (v<sup>2</sup> + U<sup>2</sup>) / 2gR<sup>2</sup>
* then showed that x'' = -(v<sup>2</sup> + U<sup>2</sup>)<sup>2</sup> / 4gR<sup>2</sup>
* By noting x'' = dv/dt, I then showed dt/dv = -4gR<sup>2</sup> / (v<sup>2</sup> + U<sup>2</sup>)<sup>2</sup>
* It follows that the required time is t = &int; (U-->0) dt/dv dv = &int; (0-->U) 4gR<sup>2</sup> / (v<sup>2</sup> + U<sup>2</sup>)<sup>2</sup> dv

So, we now just need to do the integration, and noting that U, g and R are all constant, that isn't too bad.

I used a the substitution v = Utan &theta; to show that

&int; 1 / (v<sup>2</sup> + U<sup>2</sup>)<sup>2</sup> dv = (1 / U<sup>3</sup>) * &int; cos<sup>2</sup>&theta; d&theta;
= v / 2U<sup>2</sup>(v<sup>2</sup> + U<sup>2</sup>) + (1 / 2U<sup>3</sup>) * tan<sup>-1</sup>(v / U) + C, for some constant C

From there, it isn't difficult to evaluate the required definite integral to get

t = gR<sup>2</sup>(&pi; + 2) / 2U<sup>3</sup>

which simplifies to (&pi; + 2)&radic;R / 2&radic;g by using U = &radic;(gr)

CrashOveride

HSC
Ok i get up to a point where i have

t = 2gR<sup>2</sup>/U<sup>2</sup> [ 1 / (U<sup>2</sup> + v<sup>2</sup>) + (1/U).arctan(v/U) ] with limits 0 --> U

Evaluating that i end up getting a U<sup>4</sup> on the denominator and i have a minus inconveniencing the numerator

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The U<sup>4</sup> has occured because there is a v missing from the numerator of the first term. As for it being negative, it isn't when I do it. The expression you have is correct, apart from the missing v. Here it is:

t = (2gR<sup>2</sup> / U<sup>2</sup>) [ v / (U<sup>2</sup> + v<sup>2</sup>) + (1 / U) * arctan(v / U) ] with limits 0 --> U
= (2gR<sup>2</sup> / U<sup>2</sup>) [ U / (U<sup>2</sup> + U<sup>2</sup>) + (1 / U) * arctan(U / U) ] - (2gR<sup>2</sup> / U<sup>2</sup>) [ 0 / (U<sup>2</sup> + 0<sup>2</sup>) + (1 / U) * arctan(0) ]
= (2gR<sup>2</sup> / U<sup>2</sup>) [ (1 / 2U) + (1 / U) * &pi; / 4], as arctan(0) = 0
= (2gR<sup>2</sup> / gR) * (1 / U) * [(1 / 2) + (&pi; / 4)], using U<sup>2</sup> = gR
= (2R / U) * [(1 / 2) + (&pi; / 4)]
= (R / U) + (R&pi; / 2U)
= R(2 + &pi;) / 2U
= [R(2 + &pi;) / 2] * 1 / &radic;(gR), using U = &radic;(gR)
= (&pi; + 2)&radic;R / 2&radic;g, as required / expected

Last edited:

mojako

HSC
nope.. it cant be a right angle...
the diagram is delberately misleading
(or else there's a typo in the letters)

im still trying to solve it.. ill give it 10-20 minutes or so before i give up :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)