Q19 Bauklkham Hills. Module 7 addition polymerization (1 Viewer)

carrotsss

HSC
All gir- I mean all chem trial papers are the same
yeah pretty much

i haven’t done ruse papers yet but all good papers I have done feel pretty much identical like there aren’t really many ways to make papers harder other than more long response qs where you lose 1 or 2 marks

Luukas.2

HSC
Extending on @nsw..wollongong's post:

There are two isomeric pentanone's:
  • 2-pentanone, CH3-CO-CH2-CH2-CH3, in which there are 5 x C environments and 4 x H environments, because the molecule is not symmetrical about the carbonyl group (-CO-), and
  • 3-pentanone, CH3-CH2-CO-CH2-CH3, in which there are 3 x C environments and 2 x H environments, because the molecule is symmetrical about the carbonyl group (-CO-).
Similarly, 5-nonanone will have only 5 x C environments and 4 x H environments, whereas 2-nonanone, 3-nonanone, and 4-nonanone will all have 9 x C environments and 8 x H environments. It does not matter how far away any differences might be, each environment that is not absolutely identical to another will count as a separate environment.

Interdice

HSC
How can we tell if it's an aldehyde or ketone?

Luukas.2

HSC
It's a ketone. Aldehydes have medium to strong bands (usually two of them) below the regular C-H band for the C-H of the terminal -CHO - somewhere like 2700 - 2800 cm-1.

The IR spectrum for propanal can be seen at https: / / webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Spec=C123386&Index=0&Type=IR&Large=on&SVG=on (take out the spaces around the slashes) - you'll see that the extra aldehydic C-H bands are prominent.

Interdice

HSC
It's a ketone. Aldehydes have medium to strong bands (usually two of them) below the regular C-H band for the C-H of the terminal -CHO - somewhere like 2700 - 2800 cm-1.

The IR spectrum for propanal can be seen at https: / / webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Spec=C123386&Index=0&Type=IR&Large=on&SVG=on (take out the spaces around the slashes) - you'll see that the extra aldehydic C-H bands are prominent.
Thanks. I read that section like 5 times on the pearson textbook, and I swear that isn't there

Luukas.2

HSC
Most texts / teachers / tutors don't point out that the C-H bands can be informative. The bands at lower wavenumber for an aldehyde are the most obvious, but signals above the usual range can also help, reflecting H-C=C, H-C(aromatic, like a benzene ring), and H-C(alkyne). All are sharp and completely unlike an N-H or O-H band.

Interdice

HSC
Where to get Proton NMR questions?

There are barley any resources on them. Past trial papers don't have proton NMR usually. Where can I get questions.

I also don't want to start HSC exam papers yet.

Interdice

HSC
1696040469279.png

Are pressure questoins in the scope of this course? Never seen them before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)