Q7 and Q8 in the HSC (1 Viewer)

Pyrobooby

HSC
I've been doing past papers recently and boy, do these last questions work up a sweat!

I was wondering if there's some kind of textbook that compiles these much harder questions in the extension 2 paper with something like worked solutions?

Does anyone have tips on answering these harder questions other than do as many as you possibly can?

And is it just me or is Q8 b) in the 2003 paper just ... ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I've been doing past papers recently and boy, do these last questions work up a sweat!

I was wondering if there's some kind of textbook that compiles these much harder questions in the extension 2 paper with something like worked solutions?

Does anyone have tips on answering these harder questions other than do as many as you possibly can?

Thank you in advance.
The past paper books that are published by a couple of different places (I recommend the ones from Mathematical Association of New South Wales) have the paper and worked solutions for the 10 most recent years for General, 2U, 3U and 4U.

And yes, Q8 b) of 2003 looks horrible.

http://www.mansw.nsw.edu.au/publications/hsc-solution-books.htm

Last edited:

Pyrobooby

HSC
Haha, my school dispensed a copy of this to each student :L

HSC
Uni Grad
When I saw Q8 b) of the 2003 HSC paper, I was like... =_=

however I liked Q8 a) of the 2004 HSC paper; it was easy, though you had to be able to see it to get it

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

however I liked Q8 a) of the 2004 HSC paper; it was easy, though you had to be able to see it to get it
Agreed. I remember doing it a month or 2 ago and after looking at it for a couple of minutes it just came to me and was pretty easy!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I've just done 1st half of Q8 b) and I have good news for the majority of you - most of you, if you do get to Q8 at all will not be able to do it, But why worry? The small minority who can do the really hard parts will have to toil away very hard for every 1 additional mark. Just concentrate on those easy marks from the earlier questions and you are ahead! Just think of it, seriously.

So really hard Q7 and Q8 give very little advantage to the very bright minority. In fact if you are not terribly good at Q7 and Q8 you should pray for very easy or very difficult ones.

The hard-to-get 1 mark for Q8 is worth no more than the easy-to-get 1 mark in Q1 or Q2. In a way not very fair at all.

Last edited:

Pyrobooby

HSC
I suppose what you say is true Drongski, but the satisfaction of attaining a great mark is what peeves me. The school I attend don't have a great cohort to 'fall back' on, hence I feel this stress to run the hard mile solo. This is why I'm doing my best to maintain my rank and then attempting to get near full marks in the HSC.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you can handle Q1 to Q6 and still have some time, go for Q7 and Q8 (or any fragment thereof) by all means. What I'm suggesting is: if you have done Q1 to Q6 really well you'll get great marks. Getting even 30% of Q7 and Q8 right would be a bonus. In this regard, don't forget even when you can't get part ii) you may be able to get part iii) by assuming the results of parts i) and ii) - part iii) is not necessarily harder than part ii).

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
That was written by Peter Brown from UNSW.

He told me that he also marked it and that no one got full marks for Q8 that year. He did say that most of them got close though.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
I guess these are decent - luckily in the HSC a hard question is divided into many parts making it much easier

zhiying

HSC
oh sorry apollo, guess nothing is ever too hard for u

Pyrobooby

HSC

He told me that he also marked it and that no one got full marks for Q8 that year. He did say that most of them got close though.
Ahh... I suppose that is strangely reassuring.

hscishard

HSC
I remember last year someone posteda file containing the past q7 and 8s hsc questions for ext 2 maths. The search function doesn't help me narrow down the results...dam

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
if you're an average student, you are better off spending the rest of your time checking your previous answers to Q1-Q6 rather than do Q7+Q8. That's what I would have done if I was doing the 2003 HSC.

However, in recent years Q7+Q8, have been getting easier and are extremely doable. So I wouldn't worry about Q7+Q8.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Really? Peter Brown wrote that!? Wow, I was in one of his lectures... I feel special. Amazing.

Anyways, to this - I echo Drongoski. In the end, what you get is a mark, such as: 81/120, 59/120 or whatever. There is no "Oh he got 7/15 in Question 8 so let's make that worth double".

Scab marks where-ever you can. Don't spend 25 minutes on Question 8 for that one mark - go back to Question 4 or 5 and get marks there.

Yes, they are pretty difficult usually - however if you go in there with an 'ultimate opportunist' mindset - and try and scab as many marks as possible, you'll get more marks and you'll go better.

Remember one mark in the grand scheme of things elevates you - rank-wise - perhaps 200 or 300 students. And that'll boost your ATAR as well.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Really? Peter Brown wrote that!? Wow, I was in one of his lectures... I feel special. Amazing.

Anyways, to this - I echo Drongoski. In the end, what you get is a mark, such as: 81/120, 59/120 or whatever. There is no "Oh he got 7/15 in Question 8 so let's make that worth double".

Scab marks where-ever you can. Don't spend 25 minutes on Question 8 for that one mark - go back to Question 4 or 5 and get marks there.

Yes, they are pretty difficult usually - however if you go in there with an 'ultimate opportunist' mindset - and try and scab as many marks as possible, you'll get more marks and you'll go better.

Remember one mark in the grand scheme of things elevates you - rank-wise - perhaps 200 or 300 students. And that'll boost your ATAR as well.
To further echo these sentiments from Drongoski and Shadowdude:

Just because they are Question 7 and 8, it does not mean that every mark is difficult to get. Question 8 a i) of the 2009 paper for example is ridiculously easy for 2 marks.

markrule5

HSC
N/A
certain parts of the paper can be worth 1 mark some of these are band 6 questions
if you can get most of them without even passing the exam they will put you in band 6.
me personally i cannot get the answers to them esp. q7, q8

HSC
Uni Grad
i reflect on this a few months later and I realize that Q8 2003 isn't THAT hard afterall, it just looks pretty tricky. Q8 a) was easy and I got full marks for that, but I only JUST finished Q8 b) i) and that only left me with 10/15
and this was under exam conditions (did this paper 2 weeks ago)

nevertheless, 2003 was a pretty hard paper tbh, I hope this years paper isn't that hard

and for all those reading this post, you SHOULD attempt and try to scab marks off Q7 and Q8, since some of them are piss easy to get

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)