Qantas Grounds Entire Fleet (1 Viewer)

cheese_cheese

HSC
Vote on the 7pm project last night (60000 votes), had 75+% of people blaming Alane Joyce for the fiasco and only 20% blaming the unions (5% blaming the government). SMH poll (100000+ votes) was similar with 60+ % of people blaming Alan Joyce for creating the disaster and stranding thousands of Australians.

The public opinion is clearly against Joyce. The fact he took a 71% pay increase (2 million) the day before stranding thousands of Australians around the world doesn't help him.

boris

Banned
HSC
who gives a fuck 7pm project viewers are morons and peasants

Garygaz

HSC
oh no

let's look at the public:

50% trust daily telegraph and barely watch news -instantly discounted

25% are literally too stupid to matter, okay cool you think alan joyce is to blame, go and tell your other friends on the conveyor belt line whilst screwing on bottle tops

20% probably read multiple news sources but still really have no idea what is going on behind the scenes at qantas

4% have a decent idea of how the unions/joyce/qantas board are all playing a part

<1% actually KNOW what is happening

so cool, public polls on the business decisions of executives who would most likely squash them with their financial knowledge really matters.

boris

Banned
HSC
the reason they arent alan joyce and co is because they are stupid

cheese_cheese

HSC
the reason they arent alan joyce and co is because they are stupid
Alan Joyce helped destroy the Irish airline => Alan Joyce destroyed Ansett => Alan Joyce destroyed Qantas

I think the problem is Alan Joyce.

There was a joke of tv last night: "A short Irishman walked into an airline and destroyed it. That is the pun, end of joke."

Lentern

HSC
$100m = price to stop perpetual striking over the coming months

$100m = putting 'union peasants' in their place

$100m well spent
Perpetual striking? Are you drunk?

Carl Spitzweg

HSC
the funny thing is the apologists for this joyce guy in this thread are in reality probably the biggest peasants of them all

Garygaz

HSC
Perpetual striking? Are you drunk?
you think that the unions wouldn't keep on calling snap strikes all the way into the foreseeable future? oh, i forgot, HEIL UNIONS

Lentern

HSC
you think that the unions wouldn't keep on calling snap strikes all the way into the foreseeable future? oh, i forgot, HEIL UNIONS
Perhaps but that's not actually what it makes to strike in perpetuity.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
Are you honestly saying the long term outcomes of this will be profitable? What colour is the sky on your planet?
hahahahahahahah wow you don't even know what the time value of money is and how corporate financial decisions are made.

ok.

Lentern

HSC
hahahahahahahah wow you don't even know what the time value of money is and how corporate financial decisions are made.

ok.
I've never read any business or commerce materials before I'll grant you but presumably corporate financial decisions are made with some desire to increase profitability, as opposed pyrrhic victories over the unions and trashing future earnings by ratfucking the brands image in the process.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
if qantas can do better than an 7% irr or so i doubt this $100mn loss (probably even more) will pay off over 15 years, like a new plane would have. even then we'll never know

wouldnt mind reading the proceedings of the board meeting, or wherever the decision took place

Last edited:

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
I've never read any business or commerce materials before I'll grant you but presumably corporate financial decisions are made with some desire to increase profitability, as opposed pyrrhic victories over the unions and trashing future earnings by ratfucking the brands image in the process.
actually let's not forget the issue that lies at the heart of the dispute: qantas wants to adopt the jetstar model and outsource most everything to increase profitability and to better compete in asia while the unions would have none of that. industrial action by the unions had already cost qantas 70 million in the past few months. they will continue to bleed qantas dry if the situation isn't resolved swiftly. the grounding of the qantas fleet, while drastic, is actually a shrewd maneuver both strategically and financially. presumably the grounding cost qantas 20 mil a day but this is nothing compared to what it would lose if the strike were allowed to continue. now once you factor in the fact that the present value of the jetstar model is going to be much higher than what the grounding had cost, ~60 million is minuscule. investors aren't stupid, if the grounding hurt qantas so much why the hell did qantas shares jumped 7.4% on monday?

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
if qantas can do better than an 7% irr or so i doubt this $100mn loss (probably even more) will pay off over 15 years, like a new plane would have. even then we'll never know

wouldnt mind reading the proceedings of the board meeting, or wherever the decision took place
they would lose more if they didn't do anything

Lentern

HSC
actually let's not forget the issue that lies at the heart of the dispute: qantas wants to adopt the jetstar model and outsource most everything to increase profitability and to better compete in asia while the unions would have none of that. industrial action by the unions had already cost qantas 70 million in the past few months. they will continue to bleed qantas dry if the situation isn't resolved swiftly. the grounding of the qantas fleet, while drastic, is actually a shrewd maneuver both strategically and financially. presumably the grounding cost qantas 20 mil a day but this is nothing compared to what it would lose if the strike were allowed to continue. now once you factor in the fact that the present value of the jetstar model is going to be much higher than what the grounding had cost, ~60 million is minuscule. investors aren't stupid, if the grounding hurt qantas so much why the hell did qantas shares jumped 7.4% on monday?
Linky linky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)