Qma/qmb (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
Can these can avoided by combining commerce with science/engineering (because its 4 core courses in 1st year instead o 6 according to the handbook)? Would I need these 2 courses for major in accounting/finance?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
im pretty sure you can only do one major in com if you combine it with science or engineering.

but i think you can avoid qma, not too sure about qmb. but you would be doing maths in science.

Arithela

HSC
pretty much i want to have a decent gpa in 1st year to transfer. is it possible to get distinctions in qma/qmb? ive talked to friends who've done them but it seems very hard to get even credits.

also, since theres 6 core courses in 1st year, and we need 42 units, do we need to pick up 2 more courses?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Arithela said:
pretty much i want to have a decent gpa in 1st year to transfer. is it possible to get distinctions in qma/qmb?
yes

Arithela said:
ive talked to friends who've done them but it seems very hard to get even credits.
because no one put in the required effort

Arithela said:
also, since theres 6 core courses in 1st year, and we need 42 units, do we need to pick up 2 more courses?
yes

and if you try to avoid qma/qmb you'll end up doing much hard work in MATH1181 or whatever the corresponding course is

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
agreed.

QMA is pretty easy. If you've done 3u maths, then it'll be pretty easy. The only problem comes at the end with the 3-dimensional graph thingy.lol.

i got DN in QMA and i'm not the smartest person in the world. ANd yes, you would require to do QMA&QMB for any commerce major (except if you're doing Maths from a 2nd degree).

subject selection first year:
1st sem:
QMA
ACCT1501
ECON1101
Elective

2nd sem:
QMB
Acct1511
ECON1102
Elective.

And you would need to do QMB (or an equivalent statistics course) which would help greatly if you were to do certain Finance courses which require background knowledge of statistics.

Last edited:

beentherdunthat

HSC
qmb suks
i showed up to one tutorial htis semester

i think thats more than enough :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i think you need an 80% attendence rate for tutorials anyway

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
wrong_turn said:
i think you need an 80% attendence rate for tutorials anyway
lol yeah. If not, gg on failing qmb beentherdunthat.
=]

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
qmb suks
i showed up to one tutorial htis semester

i think thats more than enough :)
There's been two in-class quizzes, both worth 10%.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
My QMB tutor was hopeless so I only attended about 3 tutes and my friend ticked my name off :D...then the tutor stopped even doing the roll for some reason.

I tried pretty hard for QMA and only got a credit. Hardly tried at all for QMB but got a DN.

I only did 2U math, so I struggled with the calculus in QMA

jessi90

HSC
but calculus is in the 2u maths course... unless you mean some insane calculus work

Loz_metalhead

HSC
The last 2 lectures covered calculus that I had never seen before. Maybe it was new for everyone...It was never my strong point.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i did 3u and it was complete rofl with half derivatives

Arithela

HSC
Would it be a wiser choice to do commerce at USYD then (considering travel times are the same)? Because maths isn't really my forte (I do 2U)

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
QMA isn't hard if you keep up.

I found partial derivs easy and I only did 2U. I actually found lagrange as a whole a fairly "ok" process, but I had trouble with a lot of other stuff in the subject. It's not hard to pass at all though.

Arithela

HSC
yeah I think i'd still be a hard course - even a pass could prove detrimental lol. i know my uai wont be the greatest so i have to rely on uni results more i guess

I just had a quick look at usyd's 1st year commerce plan and only found one subject (or area of study) which seems to replace unsw's qma and qmb

http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/subject/ECMT1010.html
does anyone know more?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Suck it up, a pass isn't too bad. You could even just not do QMA/B in your first year if you are going for a transfer (I'm guessing econ to comm or something?).

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL you need to qma still in commerce.

and if she is wishing to do finance...she may as well do qma since a lot of finance is based on dcf or similar calculations.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
wrong_turn said:
LOL you need to qma still in commerce.

and if she is wishing to do finance...she may as well do qma since a lot of finance is based on dcf or similar calculations.
Yeah I just meant she could do it later on if she wants an artifically high WAM for her first year to transfer. But tbh if people can't get a solid pass for QMA they don't deserve to be doing Commerce (I used to hear people say this and grind my teeth, but it's true really...).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)