Qma (1 Viewer)

Mortgage

HSC
A question I'm asking out of fear;

Is it possible to pass or get a decent mark in quantitative methods A if you didn't do any maths in the HSC? Can I, instead, learn whatever is needed from textbooks, tutorials etc?

thx =/

nick.milevski

HSC
im guessing you attended the 6-8 lecture tonight as did i. you beat me to a thread lol. dude i had no bloody idea wtf that lecturer was on about. im seriously considering changing into that introductory maths class bcoz i know if i stay in this 1 id fail something bad. does any1 wanna shed some light on the introductory class for maths? has any1 here done it? bcoz i wanna change into it and wanna know what the process for it is...

krayzie_

HSC
I'd start with learning some foundation of HSC maths, and work from there.

Normally the appropriate faculty will have bridging course notes for sale! Purchase them!

Mortgage

HSC
Haha GG Nick, i really dont wanna spend money on bridging and i don't think if i change lectures, it will make a difference. Will i need to go over hsc maths textbooks? or will the one by Hausller(however u spell it) cover it?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You're in the same boat as me. Just work your ass off learning the maths needed for the course. Get tutoring, self-learn, anything. Luckily for me, I've got mathematician friends who can help me out. My aim however is not to do well, it's only to pass...

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I'm worried about QMA also. I only did 2U math and it was my weakest subject. I just aim to pass...my lecturer said on average, 10% of people fail.

Pace_T

HSC
if u dont know much background maths, just stick to the textbook as much as u can, or whereever the examples are, and look at them before ur lecture so its easier to keep up in the lectures. in my opinion u'd only need a strong background in maths if ur aiming to get HDs otherwise anyone can pass it if u put in a lot of effort..... yes they do assume things sometimes which i dont think is unfair, but note down what they assume and in ur own time go back and check it out. well thats my opinion.

nick.milevski

HSC
no but seriously, the bloke was going 200km/hr on the overhead writing down crap ive never heard of in my life and i see the rest of the class nodding and im just in the back somewhere going WTF MESS. i have the haeussler text book aswell and it doesnt even explain anything in it its mainly exercises which is also very annoying. im stressed x 23 atm, i dunno what to do. whether to kill myself in this class or transfer to the bridging course. hopefully some1 here has done the bridging course and can tell me how it affects main course commerce? ya?

HSC
I'm in exactly same position as Loz_metalhead. All the other subjects seem piss easy but QMA is gonna be a bitch. What was with his shirt.

HSC
yeh without maths your gonna get owned, either work ur ass off and buy some $15 book (goes over 2u maths nicely) at unsw bookshop; or do bridging course. although youll find it hard too teach urself 2u

HSC
yeah that 6-8 lecture.....fuck that man was suss
anyway yeah i can understand how you guys feel. he definitely was going rapid fire and all that inverse shit would be heaps hard to digest in 40 minutes. its only going to get worse so yeah the bridging course is probably the best option. but on the other hand if you got into commerce with general maths it must mean you are pretty dedicated so maybe you could pull it off? i guess its up to you.

klaw

HSC
The QMA lecturer guy didn't really do anything complicated. You guys just had no idea what was going on coz you didn't know the notation. Have a flick through some HSC textbook and learn the notation.

HSC
no its because they did general or no maths at school.
when i first saw table of standard integrals i thought they were hieroglyphs.
you cant blame them

ZabZu

HSC
I did QMA last year and I did the bridging course semester 1 last year, at the same time as my first attempt at QMA. I got a final mark of 43 in semester 1 but I managed to get a credit in semester 2.

The course might have changed so some of the stuff I say might not be relevant.

From next week you guys probably start financial maths which isnt hard. If you did general maths you'll remember some of the stuff from school. The most difficult stuff in the QMA is calculus and you do a few weeks of it later in the semester. The bridging course is most useful for the calculus section. However, the calculus in the bridging course is only a foundation for the harder work in QMA.

You can pass QMA with limited knowledge of maths if you attend lectures and tutorials, do the homework, go to pass (extra classes) and if needed go to pitstop (one-on-one help).

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
am i the only one that thinks they're gonna enjoy QMA ? haha.

it's a bit hard at first coz of the revision needed ,,, but i'm starting to get the hang of it....plus i like teh challenge ^__^

And i have simon as my lecturer. lol,, heard he's the best ... he's pretty cool ^_^
if lecturer's going too fast, just tell him/her that.
They're main objective is to make u pass, not fail. =]

and revision of 2u is kinda useful. XD

yoon

I went to the 6-8 class and found that the lecturer was too brief with the concepts and assumed too much from everybody. Everything was rapid fire!

I find it a bit of a worry everything looks hard.

I don't know if I will be able to cope

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
dontnomuch said:
I went to the 6-8 class and found that the lecturer was too brief with the concepts and assumed too much from everybody. Everything was rapid fire!

I find it a bit of a worry everything looks hard.

I don't know if I will be able to cope
i'm sure u will be able to. seeing as ur hsc is in 2010. =]

Mortgage

HSC
Wow, popular topic :D - makes me happy; although still scared of Qma - -, am i the only one who didn't do maths and got into comm/eco o.o?

HSC
nah theres quite a few people ive met that did general or no maths.....and god do i feel sorry for them...

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I've met alot of people who have done 2 unit and dont seem much better off considering they'e forgotten half the work by now from last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)