Q's....? (1 Viewer)

Trev

stix
HSC
hey im in yr 11 atm n wanna do act studies but the only way id b able to make the cutoff for it, is if i got xtra 'points' (or wateva theyre called) towards my uai (like for medicine) coz im categorised as a "rural" student. do these xtra points apply for act studies at mq?

also, how much work did u hav to do for ext2 math, if u did it?
+ is adv. eng a prerequisite, did u do stand or adv? im 7/71 at my school atm in adv but i hate eng :mad: and the texts that we r doin next yr............help?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure about the "rural" student thing, but my advice is, if you don't get the UAI for Actuarial Studies at Macq, I don't recommend you do it. This is simply because it's a highly competitive course, and in most cases you'll struggle against a group which has a minimum UAI of 97 which means the bulk is in 98s or low 99s. Having said that, if you're willing to work really hard (as in spend many hours a day on study) give it a shot. I think you would get the extra 5UAI points needed to get you into Actuarial Studies.

I did 4U Mathematics, and I did a fair amount of work. But not that much. As long as you understand the concepts, and bit of practise should be enough (but that depends what kind of marks you want).

I don't think Adv English is a prereq. I personally did Advanced. I don't think my level of english matters that much, as there are many international students.

Hope that helps. Btw, I'm in second year, doing Actuarial and Mathematics at Macq.

Trev

stix
HSC
im sure i can get 95+ (which is relatively high for my school) coz ext2 math would bring me up heaps. wat uai did u get? and do you kno who/where i can contact to find out whether the extra points count for act studies at mq? thanx

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
perhaps contact the uac or even email the uni?

dont know what luck you'll have with that.

www.student.mq.edu.au, have a look there, you might get someone to contact.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Trev said:
im sure i can get 95+ (which is relatively high for my school) coz ext2 math would bring me up heaps. wat uai did u get? and do you kno who/where i can contact to find out whether the extra points count for act studies at mq? thanx
I got 98.50. Also don't expect 4U Mathematics to help that much. What will hurt you most are your weaker subjects.

I'm not sure who you'd contact. But as redruM suggested, the Macq website is a good place to start.

RIZAL

HSC
hey trev,

what town are you from? I am also a rural student studying actuarial studies at macquarie.

I've met a few 'rural' students doing the course at Macquarie, and as far as I've observed, all got UAI's above the cut-off.

"if you don't get the UAI for Actuarial Studies at Macq, I don't recommend you do it"

i'd disagree with since you are from the country. country kids (usually) don't have brilliant teachers, are not spoon fed each hsc subject, do not have anywhere near the level of competition in urban selective schools and have limited access to good tutors in each subject. as such, country students with 'low' but still good uai's (94-97) are well disciplined and often better 'rounded' than their city counterparts who possess better explicit uai's.

and ahahhaaha you don't need english at all....and i mean AT ALL.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
At my public school (which was considered pretty good =p), we weren't spoonfeed. My Mathematics even teacher said, if you get into your course you'll do just fine. He sat at the front, and copied examples on the board, and when you had problems you asked the guy next to you. Although, you do have a point with tutoring. Doesn't matter tho.

But you're absolutely right bout the competition. It's something which can be good or bad.

flamin'

flyin' said:
I'm not sure about the "rural" student thing, but my advice is, if you don't get the UAI for Actuarial Studies at Macq, I don't recommend you do it. This is simply because it's a highly competitive course, and in most cases you'll struggle against a group which has a minimum UAI of 97 which means the bulk is in 98s or low 99s. Having said that, if you're willing to work really hard (as in spend many hours a day on study) give it a shot. I think you would get the extra 5UAI points needed to get you into Actuarial Studies.
I agree with Isaaq. Rural kids have it tougher but there's one doing ACST with a 99.7 UAI from Coffs and I'm from a place north north north of sydney and I'm doing pretty well in ACST.

UAI has nothing to do with how smart you are - you know that flyin'. There is no correlation between UAI and good university marks in most subjects - we saw that in STAT171. But yeah, give it a go if you are willing to work hard....

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
But the people you've pointed out - the one with a UAI of 99.7 and yourself - both have exceptional UAIs even for actuarials. I was merely saying that if you got 92-95 and wanted to do actuarial, it wouldn't be recommended even if you were from rural areas.

"I've met a few 'rural' students doing the course at Macquarie, and as far as I've observed, all got UAI's above the cut-off."

People with UAIs above the cut-off.

Last edited:

Trev

stix
HSC
isaaq, im from mackillop senior college port macq.
mmm no english, my math teacher sed he did 12 units so his english wouldnt count 'back in the days' - wish u could hav english not to count now =o(

MuSaRuRWa

-=MLhtʻ=- said:
hahaha

communication skills and ppl doing actuarial

hahaha
good one ^^
i dont find that funny ..... i think its important to have good comm skills (though that isnt reality). i mean the major emphasis of the part IIs is communicating ideas effectively

flamin'

MuSaRuRWa said:
i dont find that funny ..... i think its important to have good comm skills (though that isnt reality). i mean the major emphasis of the part IIs is communicating ideas effectively
try telling that to the 98% fobs and internationals who undertake acst studies in Mac and UNSW

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
They'd prolly give you blank stares. Anyway, they're not going to stay in Australia anyway, so who needs English.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
hey flyin', u an NSB old boy eh?
I'm an Old Falconian as well :)

Who was this 'unhelpful' maths teacher u had? Weiss? Lowe? 'Fenn'? hehe ;)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yeah.. although I doubt I'll be an Old Falconian much longer if I don't pay union fees. I see my friends every now and then, so can't be bothered. :D

Anyway, I had Ward in year 11 and 12. I dun know if he was around in your year, cos I heard he took 1 year's full paid leave and retired.

Fenn was annoying cos we had him for like 4 weeks and forced us to actually turn up to morning 4U classes.

Had Lowe in year 8, and all I remember was him chucking a table, and scaring the crap out of little kids. But he was a good teacher having said that.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
So how long r we complimentary OFU members for, 12 mths aftr graduation isnt it b4 we have to pay fees? U still got ur OFU tie? lol

Yeah well Ward actually had a heart condition or something so he retired aftr term 1 last yr. I had Ee lst yr, he's a good teacher as long as u did the work :p

Btw, wots the story u heard abt how Trenwith got the name 'Fenn'? ;)

bong

HSC
dont u guys get life membership? :p

*sydney high old boy*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)