• Quad Core - 2.66 Ghz

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hiya Guys!

I've got some money to play with so i've decided to get a new computer. Of course i want what's best for my money so i'm wondering, should i get a dual core or quad core?

They all cost about the same- the Quad core being either 2.33 or 2.66Ghz and the Dual Core being 3.0 or 3.33 GHz. Everything else is basically the same, just the processors are different.

I've read up on this a bit and some people say the quad is better but other say the quad is only better when applications are extracting or something =="

I sometimes play games such as Counterstrike, Diablo, Call of Duty, The Sims and Fallout but i generally only use it for browsing the internet, watching shows, downloading a bazillion things, doing school work and perhaps photoshop, dreamweaver or fireworks.

So yeah, what do you guys reckon?

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Go the dual. Games don't take advantage of the quad yet.

EDIT: Also they're 99% of the time going to be GPU bottlenecked anyway so the processor won't matter. Go with the 3.0GHz dual core unless the difference between that and the other one is <$20.

dp624

HSC
for what you do, you won't really need a high speed dual core at all even...
something like a 2.4ghz dual core can handle all you do and more
that said, i'd get the 3.0ghz dualie since it's the cheapest (i think...) on your list? or, if the quads are cheaper, it'll be faster in all you do anyways

or grab a laptop

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Agreed.
I think if you were a full gamer, like as in playing all the latest games which need really good specs, then get a quad core.

But for what you do Anna, which is mainly watching Anime, a Dual Core should be fine.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
The price difference between them all is like $100 which is nothing. That's why i can't decide XD

But i could actually spend more on the computer but i've decided to not use ALL of my parents money... i'll be getting a laptop later anyway for uni and general when i'm at the library work ^^

But i guess i should go for the dual core!

EDIT: LOL i thought about future proofing too aha

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I thought i might show you guys what i'm actually looking at. By the way i have a feeling i'll be gaming a lot soon. I used to heavily game on the computer but then i had to start doing school work :(

The Dual 3.0 Ghz i'm looking at- M6000 Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3GHz 4Gb Desktop PC 22" LCD - eBay Core 2 Duo, Intel, Desktop PCs, Computers. (end time 31-Jan-09 00:22:53 AEDST)

The Dual 3.33 Ghz - I can't find it right now =="

The Quad 2.33 - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD 2.3GHZ/9600 GT 1GB/4GB RAM/ GAMING PC - eBay Core 2 Duo, Intel, Desktop PCs, Computers. (end time 01-Feb-09 12:13:19 AEDST) --> 1gb video card....

The Quad 2.6 - AMD QUAD CORE 2.6GHZ/CROSSFIRE 4670/8GB RAM/ GAMING PC - eBay Other AMD, AMD, Desktop PCs, Computers. (end time 01-Feb-09 12:14:56 AEDST) --> 8gb RAM (no more lagging when animating) and 1gb graphics card :D But maybe going a bit overboard?

The quad looks the best but i don't think i'll need that much power oO

dp624

HSC
oh, that quad amd 2.6 is a LOT slower than a quad intel 2.6...
and pretty much no matter what you do, go intel. amd is a crap solution for now (unless you're at the bottom end).
that said, stay asian and cut costs - get a 3.0ghz intel core 2
try staticice.com.au

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
oh, that quad amd 2.6 is a LOT slower than a quad intel 2.6...
and pretty much no matter what you do, go intel. amd is a crap solution for now (unless you're at the bottom end).
that said, stay asian and cut costs - get a 3.0ghz intel core 2
try staticice.com.au
Oh wow i never knew that :D

Will do ahaha i'll stay asian :p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Build your own. It'll take a couple of hours buy save you millionz

mrpet3rr

HSC
Quad core is mose useful in Video editing applications. Many applications have not yet taken full of advantage of quadcore

duckcowhybrid

HSC
AMDs really suck now, they're way behind schedule. With the advent of Core i7 prices for Core 2 have dropped, causing Phenom some headaches. Also they consume more power. In addition those PC deals are SHIT, but that's my opinion.

Take the dual-core, the Wolfdale Duos are really fast especially the E8400 that can be overclocked to about 3.6GHz or so on stock cooling and I've pushed one to 5GHz with a better cooler. Also it's cheaper and there's not much you will use a Quad-core for since you're not a big multitasker. Quads should take off around 2010 due to new technology and Core i7 becoming mroe readily available to your gay fag ripoff Harvey Norman market, hence sending the Quad prices to rock bottom.

TheElite

HSC
Dual core is good enough for what you are doing atm. Quad core is overkill for your needs.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Core i7. Pretty shit for games though.
All the way, DDR3 ftw. Hook it up with 4870X2.

Nah, seriously, quad is overkill for your needs. Just go with the 3.0Ghz dual core, overclock if needed (i doubt you'll need to though).

EvoRevolution

HSC
Go for the Quad Core your games will run 100% faster + if u make out ur specs on quadcore do some cpu overloading u could get up to 4 ghz *4 cores.

Best way to go. And plus get a nice video card else ur games will have a fast motherboard but your video card will let u down.

With quad core u could make out all the video settings on crisis

Enjoy

sunny

meh.
HSC
Go for the Quad Core your games will run 100% faster
AFAIK, not that many games will benefit from having a quad core CPU, so I'm not sure about that statement you're making.

Having more cores only useful if your software is going to make use of them.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
AFAIK, not that many games will benefit from having a quad core CPU, so I'm not sure about that statement you're making.

Having more cores only useful if your software is going to make use of them.
But would it hurt to have the extra cores there?

I'm going to pay the same amount anyway so i might as well get what's best XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)