Quant. Risk (1 Viewer)

Hoorayz1

HSC
Hi,

I have 2 friends who want to study bsc (adv math) at UNSW and taking a major in quant. risk

Their marks are as follows:
A - MX1 (94) - MX2 (92)
B - MX1 (94) - MX2 (94)

Any chance of them getting into quant. risk major? (because it's invitation only)

Their aims are to become actuarials

Any suggestions?

Hoorayz1

HSC
I'm also on the same boat, but my aims are to get a secure job when I graduate from UNSW

So any tips on UNSW adv math majors and their job opportunities?

HSC
I've just heard about this from my UNSW friends in Actuarial Studies, they said Quant Risk is a major that you are invited to based on WAMs and not necessarily HSC results. You can easily google this I think.

If they want to become actuaries why don't they do B Sc (Adv Math) / B Actl Stds? That would make much more sense.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I've just heard about this from my UNSW friends in Actuarial Studies, they said Quant Risk is a major that you are invited to based on WAMs and not necessarily HSC results. You can easily google this I think.

If they want to become actuaries why don't they do B Sc (Adv Math) / B Actl Stds? That would make much more sense.
Or just B Actl stds.

Hoorayz1

HSC

Oh sweet, thanks. Well my friends and I will have to work hard then.

ATAR requirement is too high, we all got under it, hence we could not do that course

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Oh sweet, thanks. Well my friends and I will have to work hard then.

ATAR requirement is too high, we all got under it, hence we could not do that course
Fair enough. Makes sense now.

Although, if you all work hard enough, it would be best if you transfer into Actl stds within your first year.

HSC
I think you need 80 WAM in first year to be invited. But yeah just work up your WAM and get into B Actl Std / B Sc (Adv Math)

Hoorayz1

HSC
Fair enough. Makes sense now.

Although, if you all work hard enough, it would be best if you transfer into Actl stds within your first year.
Since adv math is a hard course, do you think the minimum WAM for Actl stds transfer is less? (like around 70)

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to do actuarial, and if you want to work your way to get into being a certified actuary (meaning getting part IIIs, which is fellowship), then you need to do the B Actuarial Studies degree. Quantitative risk major goes into trading, quants and finance and isn't really actuarial related.

I'd suggest you do Actuarial studies over quantitative risk for that matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)