Quantity or Quality (1 Viewer)

gunner94

HSC
Alright, heading into the English exams tomorrow im getting slightly confused on this subject. I've been hearing that quantity is something which matters in essays and can often get good marks. Is this true or is it the other way around? Looking at some past band 6 answers, they all seem to be around the at least 7 pages range whereas mine is around 4-5 with considerably normal (not small nor big) writing. What should I do?

noddis911

HSC
Uni Grad
Just aim for a minimum 800 words I reckon. That is the recommended length. If you have good quality then it won't really matter if it 800 versus 1200. Personally I aim to write as much as I can in the time, which is normally around 950-1000 (approx. 4.5 - 5 pages for me) depending on if my arm cramps much. If you can only physically write 800 words make sure its quality and there is no reason it won't be a 15/15 or 20/20 :)

Badberries

HSC
Just remember.
HSC paper is alot more spaced than normal A4, generally 4-5 would equal around 7 pages HSC.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Generally speaking, those who write a higher quantity also tend to produce a higher quality of work because of preparation.
You could potentially get full marks with only 2 pages, but they'd have to be amazing, perfect two pages. The longer the essay, the more space you have to properly construct, deliver and nail your argument.

So as long as you ensure your 4-5 pages are top quality good pages, then it shouldn't be too bad.

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
Quality over quantity any day. As long as you answer the question correctly and back it up you're fine. Remember that some of those band 6 responses are some of the best in the state so don't compare yourself to them too much.

gunner94

HSC
Just remember.
HSC paper is alot more spaced than normal A4, generally 4-5 would equal around 7 pages HSC.
Sorry, I meant to say that 4-5 pages means those exam booklets like in trials.

Anyways, I guess I'll go into tomorrow writing as much as I could like always. I did around the same amount of pages mentioned and did pretty good in the trials so yeh. It must have been quality then lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)