• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Queen Lear (2 Viewers)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
I'd rather be made go by myself, less red tape shit to get through, and I could drive myself and wear what I wanted, don't complain, iambored, you have it good
i looked at both my last posts and i didn't complain about anything. i think you must have got my screen name mixed up with someone elses.
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
cut theatre

does anyone know how long it goes for??
normally they go for around 3 hrs. but i don't know how long this one is for.

aud

HSC
:D I was part of their first audience today :D

It's actually really good, even though I'm the only one in my school that thinks so... because it's a visual interpretation, not a visual representation, and some people weren't happy with the anwers she gave to our questions, but seriously, she was put on the spot with the huge questions the people in my class gave her...

And the guy who plays Cordelia/Oswald is so cute... and I don't know how long it goes for, but it's a couple of hours... sorry, I didn't have a watch...

Can someone who's going ask about the backdrops? Cause we ran out of 'question time'... the ones I can remember are

Q: Is it hard to work with swords? (no, not from my school)
A: Yes, they feel light but it's practically impossible to hold your arm out straight for more than 30 secs holding one, etc.

Q: Why are Kent (Russ) and Oswald (Faggot I think...) left as male characters?
A: Oswald - the 'serpent' had to be a male character because it was feminist, Kent - director wanted an opposite sex relationship between Kent and Lere/Lear

Q: Why is there no Fool?
A: Director doesn't think the Fool's character transfers over the ages, plays no part in today's society, people are unable to relate

Q: Costumes?
A: Went for a medieval feel, as well as incorporating war, red was 'their colour', the women lifted their skirts when in 'battle mode', men wore a 'breakdown' of their normal attire (collar and cuffs)

Q: Is it easier working without props and using a projector?
A: Yes, Shk intended it as a setless play, so a minimalist production is relatively easy, except script had to be altered because of the limitations with the projecter

Q: Cordelia less part, Edmond bigger?
A: Omitted Cordelia's solo scene (Act V, Scene i. I think), didn't fit with the flow, Edmond to show more female power

Q: Names changed?
A: Obviously, because of different sexes, but to keep with iambic pentameter, all names had same number of syllables

Q: Centrepiece? (You'll understand if you see it)
A: To set the play in 'real time', at the pace the director thought was intended

Then all the huge and strange feminist questions that I didn't pay attention to...

Kaila

Kaila
HSC
Hey all!

Going to see Queen Lere, (the feminist production) at the UNSW in two weeks. We are also doing the workshop afterwards which should be good.

Thanks aud for the info! Will ask about the backdrops and post the answer online. Before I was considering whether or not to go, but it looks interesting.

Kai xoxoxoxox

aud

HSC
Characters:

King Lear - Queen Lere
Earl of Gloucester - Lady Langley
Edmo/und - Thaisa
Edgar - Phoebe
Goneril(l) - Eglamour
Regan - Gower
Cordelia - Lucentio
Earl of Kent - Earl of Ross
Duke of Albany - Duchess of Salsbury
Duke of Cornwall - Duchess of Pembroke
Oswald - Bagot

In case you wanted to write about it in HSC and didn't know their names...

M@C D@DDY

HSC
for module B do we actualli need to no diff interpretations and readings for King Lear because we're goin to watch the one at bondi and was jus wodering if queen lear will help with the module

aud

HSC
Originally posted by M@C D@DDY
for module B do we actualli need to no diff interpretations and readings for King Lear because we're goin to watch the one at bondi and was jus wodering if queen lear will help with the module
Yes, you do:

"They research others' perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance."
- HSC Adv. Eng Syllabus for Mod B

Just make sure you have two interpretations/productions/critiques for the exam - Queen Lere was really good but I would read and watch other interpretations first in case you don't like it - try watching BBC's King Lear, another movie, Brooks' production, Tate's production, etc.

Aussiechick

HSC
I saw it on friday - did anyone else?

I thought it was quite good - the red skirts were effective, as was the way they did the storm scene/other scenes happening at the same time. The fiveo effects behind added a nice effect to it too

I put together some notes on it that I'll post when I have them typed up - can other people do this too? I'd greatly appreciate it cuz I have to include it in my assessment task on friday

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Aussiechick
I saw it on friday - did anyone else?

I thought it was quite good - the red skirts were effective, as was the way they did the storm scene/other scenes happening at the same time. The fiveo effects behind added a nice effect to it too

I put together some notes on it that I'll post when I have them typed up - can other people do this too? I'd greatly appreciate it cuz I have to include it in my assessment task on friday
I'll post my notes when my teacher prints them nicely for us as a compilation of our "discussions" (well, arguments). All I've got at the moment is the notes that Cut gave us, which are pretty basic...

I was part of their first audience and it was still a technical run through, so the lighting/sound guy was at the back, and there were a couple of bad mistakes... poor Albany/Salsbury had a coughing fit during the love trial, some of the skirts didn't stay up in 'battle mode', swords got stuck, backdrops and music had a few hiccups, and Cornwall forgot her cue to come out to meet Gloucester :D Oh well...

aud

HSC
Ooh - that's right, Gloucester/Langley kills Cornwall/Pembroke... I forgot about that... now I have to analyse what that means...

rekyj

Random Stranger
HSC
bondi

i'm going to bondi next week, have you guys seen it, and if so did you enjoy it? if you post notes, let me know when, unless you've done so already in which case i'll check after posting this... anything i should know before going into the play, if so what?\
ta!!

M@C D@DDY

HSC
yeh aud plz post sum notes for us ppl hu won't go and c it

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
But what did you think about the guy who played Cordelia/Lucetio?
hmmm i liked cordelia very much - pity cordelia wasnt as prominent in this production. I saw this hottie more as Oswald then Cordelia but still a perves a perves!

Im going to see King lear at Bondi on the 24th. after this we have an ass task to compare king lear / queen lere ill post my notes up then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)