Query (1 Viewer)

Felixxx

HSC
I'm a bit confused about my History Extension marks, hoping someone could explain.

I had the top assessment rank for History Extension in my school.

My HSC examination mark, however, exceeded my assessment mark.

My understanding of the system was that if I come first then my assessment mark will be equal to or greater than my examination mark.

I have a bad feeling this has to do with the mystery of scaling, but I'd appreciate if someone could explain.

Thanks.

HSC
N/A
Your HSC mark tends to be something of an average between your Assessment (internal) and Examination (HSC exam) mark. If you absolutely nailed your HSC exam (or Ext Hist Major Work), that could explain your higher HSC mark :)

Of course, I could be totally wrong - I don't know the system very well. But this is just a guess (and hey! it might be right! ;) )

Felixxx

HSC
No I wasn't equal first.

By HSC mark I meant Examination Mark, sorry.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
that's odd. from what i know, they should match :confused:

I topped a few subjects internally and alot of my mks matched up because the highest exam mk (mine) became my assessment mk. wonder if anyone can explain this...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Felixxx said:
I'm a bit confused about my History Extension marks, hoping someone could explain.

My understanding of the system was that if I come first then my assessment mark will be equal to or greater than my examination mark.

I have a bad feeling this has to do with the mystery of scaling, but I'd appreciate if someone could explain.

Thanks.
It seems likely that somehow you are mistaken in thinking you were ranked 1st. Maybe your teacher ranked someone else 1st (secretly), even though you were really first. It just seems to be the only plausible explanation. There is no such mystery of scaling. If you were ranked 1st internally, then yes- the highest exam mark (yours in this case) should become your assesment mark. Hence, they should be the same mark.

Are you sure you were ranked first? Like, did you log into students online and check that your school had sent in the correct rankings (you being 1st)?

What were your marks (internal, external, overall) for history ext by the way?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Felixxx said:

Thanks.
Exact same thing happened to me. I was ranked first in the subject, both according to my teacher and studentsonline, and I ended up with an assessment mark of 47 and an exam mark of 48.

Thanks to averaging I still ended up with 48/50 overall, but it's most curious that an anomaly like that occurred.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I was equal first with two other people in Society and Culture. My assessment mark was 92, whereas my exam mark was 94.

What does that mean?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
c_james said:
Exact same thing happened to me. I was ranked first in the subject, both according to my teacher and studentsonline, and I ended up with an assessment mark of 47 and an exam mark of 48.

Thanks to averaging I still ended up with 48/50 overall, but it's most curious that an anomaly like that occurred.
Hmmm, this is all very odd. I would enquire about it, though you might not care enough.

(c_james) -You probably would have had 5 state rankings had this not occured...

OK. contrary to my earlier post, I now think something strange, and possibly common enough to not be called "anomolous" has occured.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
PaleReflection said:
I was equal first with two other people in Society and Culture. My assessment mark was 92, whereas my exam mark was 94.

What does that mean?
It means atleast 1 of the 3 top exam marks was kinda low, and thus through through the process of averaging the 3 top exam marks, you lost some marks on your internal.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you are certain that you were ranked absolute first (i.e. not equal first), and your examination mark is higher than your assessment mark, you should contact the Board of Studies ASAP.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
So in other words if you are absolute first in your school, then your HSC mark will be whatever your Exam mark is ? meaning if you came first with assesment mark of 99 but stuffed up and got 60 in the Exam then your HSC mark is 60 for that particular subject ? So that also means if you got a low assesment mark of 40 but still came first and you end up getting a higher mark in the Exam of 90 then your HSC mark is 90 ?

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
timobr0 said:
so in other words if your absolute first in your school, then your HSC mark will be whatever your Exam mark is ? meaning if you came first with assesment mark of 99 but stuffed up and got 60 in the Exam then your HSC mark is 60 for that particular subject ?

no, if you are first in your school, you'll get the highest mark acheived in the HSC exams by a student at your school as your assesment mark.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
ok, so then the above scenario would be true if you also had the highest Exam mark. ie first in school with assessment mark 40 and first in Exam with mark of 90 = HSC mark of 90 ?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
But if you are first with 40 assessment and sobody else comes first in Exam with 90 and your Exam mark was 80, then you assessment mark will be 90, Exam mark 80 and HSC mark would be whatever the average is ?

nwatts

HSC
c_james said:

That is interesting. Have you looked at the results of other students who were in your histx class? Did someone get a higher assessment mark than you? BOS could have stuffed up while putting together final marks, even considering studentsonline told you that you were ranked 1st

xeia

HSC
The exact same thing happened to me - I got 40 as my exam mark for history extension, and 38 as my assessment mark even though I was ranked first. I was ranked equal first though, so I decided it must mean the other guy got 36 (yeah, we all did really bad). It seems kind of strange though

HSC
I was wondering about this as well, because i got the exact same thing.

It it's more likely to be a BOS urban myth that's been XXXposed more than anything.

Edit: OR its something to do with the HSC reported results, not the actual ones that were used to calculate your UAI.. ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)