Question 7 (2 Viewers)

8th1da

HSC
This question required basic economic theory.
If you relate this question back to the philips curve, you cant have simultaneaously high unemployemnt and inflation (unless it was like the oil shocks), therefore you can immediatly rule out 7 A and D, hence the only logical answer is C

runnable

HSC
8th1da said:
If you relate this question back to the philips curve, you cant have simultaneaously high unemployemnt and inflation (unless it was like the oil shocks), therefore you can immediatly rule out 7 A and D, hence the only logical answer is C

Philips curve also said there can't be low unemployment and low inflation. Look at Australia in recent years, obviously not a set rule. But a more concrete rule is the NAIRU cannot be decreased through growth.

shakky15

HSC
runnable said:
Philips curve also said there can't be low unemployment and low inflation. Look at Australia in recent years, obviously not a set rule. But a more concrete rule is the NAIRU cannot be decreased through growth.
yes this thread really is becoming repetitive. i say c. if it was a then i wont complain. i see the logic in your arguments, runnable, but i still think C is the answer.

i shall wait patiently until the bOS releases the answers (anyone know when that is?).

Dimplez

HSC
8th1da said:
This depends on whether the question was testing us on the Phillips Curve or an understanding of hidden U. I'm not convinced either way but I thought A was the more correct answer. It could be either one though.

kooltrainer

HSC
EVERYBODY SDFU, GO TO PAGE 361 OF TIM DIXION'S BOOK "AUSTRALIA IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY"

TOP LEFT HAND SIDE IS A GRAPH THAT EXPLAINS IT ALL

THE ARROW POINTS LEFT , SO ITS C .. = )

AND I JUST CALLED JOHN HOWARD.. HE SAYS ITS C .. OTHERWISE THERE WOULDN'T BE GST

runnable

HSC
Yea just stop discussing and lets all be back when they release answers. (so I can laugh at y'all lol especially the Usyd econ major guy) :p

danz90

HSC
I think past papers and comments frm marking centre are released on BOS site in january.

Garygaz

HSC
looks like this debate shall rage on till january then, hoorah!

runnable

HSC
Lol. Lets all stop it now. (until I am proven right.)

Will this sub-forum still be open in Jan? Cuz 07 threads are closed, not sure when did that happen.

Is voting liberal 4 PM
HSC
how can u say long term it will return to the original point of unemployment WHEN inflation will push eco growth down and thus employment

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
Personally I put A. I think its a toss up, theres two forces, one involving currently unemployed people gaining employment, and another involving hidden unemployed people starting to look for jobs.
Initially I put C, but changed to A, under my belief that the unemployment rate can't really go below the natural rate of unemployment. It did say initially though, so it could be either.

However, there is a precedent for the board of studies accepting two answers for multiple choice. So as long as you didn't say that an increase in AD will push prices down, you should be right.

runnable

HSC
Unemployment will not decrease because say hospitals will not employ blacksmiths when they want doctors. Every person fit for a job already has one.

johnyd7

HSC
Sorry everyone, but its definetly C,

I asked two people who are 3rd year economics at Uni, and yeah its def C,

Also if your read your text book... it should say.

"Increasing Aggreagte Demand at the point of NRU, will lead to no PERMANENT reductions in unemployment"

Therefore, SHORT TERM, there will b lower unemployment

BackCountrySnow

HSC
quick, someone ask an eco teacher.

EDIT:

note: Uni students might not be that accurate. I mean, what we learn in the HSC is so narrow compared to how broad the field of economics is. I mean, according to monetarists, the only way to control inflation is through varying the money supply...

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
johnyd7 said:
"Increasing Aggreagte Demand at the point of NRU, will lead to no PERMANENT reductions in unemployment"

Therefore, SHORT TERM, there will b lower unemployment
Did you add the second line yourself?

We should just stop talking about this. Just wait for the answers and C-guys will know that they're wrong. :hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)