question about GHD straighteners (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I GOT MY HAIR CUT TODAY! Yay! Ok, now that that's out of the way. My hairdresser curled my hair using a ghd today and I love it! Thinking of buying one...

Basically, she used the larger ghd and so now I have nice waves/big curls. I said something along the lines of "Cool! I have to get me one of these things!" However she advised that most people use the smaller one because it's a lot easy to maneuvere (and I can definately see this coming in handy when you're curling the hair at the back). It's also cheaper :) And I've been told by another hairdresser that you can still do big loose curls with the little ghd... (however at $300+ a pop, you kinda want to get a few more people's opinions before you run out and possibly buy the wrong size, you know?)

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE GHD'S - which size one do you have, what do you do with it (eg can you curl? How easy is it to get different types of curls?) and how hard is it to do?

salsydney

HSC
the big one is really only for people with like, afro's, is it not?

anyways, i have the medium one (theres a mini one smaller than mine), and its great for doing any size curls...

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
most ceramic slimline straighteners can curl. GHDs are good, but i think overrated. well anyway, i found that the slim one is better for curling. it's harder to do tight curls with the wide plates. i don't normally put product on it afterwards, but the curl still holds. :D

Skeeta

HSC
yep its fab. I use it to straighten regularly but on occasions do curl.

The ghd website had lots of info on how to curl your hair etc so if you're not sure what to do, its fab :uhhuh:

smiley_kel

HSC
N/A
I have a GHD, curled my hair today in fact! haha i have the smaller one. My advice is look for a brand new one on Ebay, I saved $100 and it was brand new and the exact same thing you would purchase. They are the best things ever, combine this with Tresemme (sorry cant spell) spray that u put in to reduce damage from straighteners or hairdryers, and its AWESOME=)

ms.JESS

HSC
I used to sell GHD's they aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be!

They're over advertised and retail for around $300+
They are CERAMIC COATED, once the coating wears away it drys out your hair. It heats up to 190 degrees and the temperature is set so that means your unable to change that temperate.

There is Silver Bullet hair straightners with a lot more features and retail for a lot cheaper! They have titanium plates which are super smooth and glide through your hair. Heats up to 210 degrees which is variable heat and also has a LCD screen that displays the temperate! The Silver Bullets also curl, flick and straighten!

Don't pay for something over priced when you can get something a lot cheaper with better features!

They sell Silver Bullets at Hair House Warehouse and Shavershop. Go in and have a look, they can demonstrate on your hair!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I think get the middle one. You should be able to do big curls with it, check the ghd website. I have used one wide plated straightener (not a ghd, and probably heavier than a big ghd) and it was hard to manouvre but the middle ghd is great. I can't curl because I am uncoordinated :p I think it takes practice, it's pretty easy to do in theory, it's just that when you actually do it the curls don't sit right so it comes out in a mess.

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
actually if you order one from englad or and english website yu can save alot of money also

HSC
N/A
:/ ok now I'm minorly confused.

I only saw two sizes at the hairdresser's - the smaller (standard) one which is the one most people have (I dunno, about 3cm in width I guess) and the wider one (maybe 5-6cm in width?). Apparently there is a "mini" one which is smaller than all of these?

Most people in here are advising me to get the smaller/standard one (not mini), right?

miss Jess - how long does it normally take for this ceramic coating to wear away? Has anyone here ever had this happen to them?

*hopeful*

HSC
i had my neighbours ghd at my place for about a month and was in heaven..... i own a muster and a babyliss cermaic which is so big and chunky compared to ghd
it was the normal small one(not mini) so light to hold and because of the high temp straightens really fast but i think using on coloured hair and hair with product/oil/etc damages the coating

Yeh im with msJess i've seen the silver bullet in action, its awesome and apparently titanium is the new ceramic ? im looking to get that over the ghd...and its cheaper...it also does curls etc

oh i never used the ghd to curl cuz i've got a curling iron thingo anyway

Always

HSC
I don't know what it is about the GHD but it works better than any other straightener I've tried. Maybe it's the shape and size, or perhaps the temperature?

It's really easy to curl with once you get the hang of it. My only criticism is that I can't do tight curls properly, mine turn out looking really unnatural. :s

I think I have the regular size, the plates are around an inch wide.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Most people in here are advising me to get the smaller/standard one (not mini), right?
yep not the mini, you wouldn't be able to decently straighten your hair with that

also don't think the ghd is a magical thing, if they bring out a new one i will update in a flash because, although good, and so much better than my last straightener, it could still be much better.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I've been wanting one for ages. But whenever I have the heart to, I spend that money elsewhere!

Try ebay maybe? I noted that they knock off $100 off the price.

HSC
N/A
hmmmm

Interesting to hear good stuff about this 'silver bullet'. How much is it? I'm thinking of rocking up someplace to try it out, if it truly is 'superior' material wise (ok, I'm totally showing my stingy side here). How wide are the plates, by the way?

ur_inner_child said:
I've been wanting one for ages. But whenever I have the heart to, I spend that money elsewhere!
Hear hear sista! I have to like, hide money away from myself when I'm saving up for something. It just doesn't work otherwise lol...

Skeeta

HSC
actually they are bringing out a new model. it will be slightly more expensive.. i remember them sending me an email about it. I think it will have adjustable temperature and a turn-off thing if you leave it on accidentally.. i cant remember what else :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Skeeta said:
actually they are bringing out a new model. it will be slightly more expensive.. i remember them sending me an email about it. I think it will have adjustable temperature and a turn-off thing if you leave it on accidentally.. i cant remember what else :(
oh no really? i don't really want to spend money on a new one, especially if it's more expensive. do you know when it's coming out? i'd probably only buy it when they sell it with the heat proof roll bag (if they ever do) and of course after i hear reviews.

ms.JESS

HSC
Glitterfairy

Depends on how much you use the straightner and if you use product in your hair. We had so many returns on GHD because the coating wore away and turned black and rough.

Titanium is a lot smoother. Its the next step up in technology from ceramic. It literally glides through your hair in comparison to ceramic.

I have the Silver Bullet Lighting Plus Titaniun. ALL my friends are always coming over to my house and asking me to curl their whole head. It look glamorous once its done! The trick to curling your hair is all in the movement of your wrist and your technique. I taught all my friends and we all have our own technique, you hold it at an angle and as you bring it down you keep twirling it around!

If your going to buy a GHD, I suggest you go into somewhere like the Shavershop, get them to give you a run down or a demonstration and pick whats best for you! Just because thats what your hairdresser uses doesn't mean its the best on the market!

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
you can curl with any straightener and can usually get both tight and big curls depending on how you use it, how long you hold it for etc etc.

i dotn have a ghd but i recommend the smaller one. its cheaper, more portable, and easier to use around the back (ive used my friend's ghd) but its really up to you what your preference is and why youre using it..

a bigger ghd obviously does more hair at any one time because it has a greater surface area and so will do your hair quicker.

up to youuuu.

personally the only thing that would dicate me in buying a ghd would be budget, but right now i cant afford either

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i adore my GHD. well actually i share it with my sister (split costs :D)... i didn't know you could get different sizes, though!

lynn, the ghd site has videos on how to do curls and stuff! i love it when my sis does it for me (cos i can't do it to save my life)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)