• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question about HSC marking (1 Viewer)

Gatorade

HSC
Hi guys,
i was just wondering if you do a three unit course such as maths ext. 1, when you sit the advanced paper, are you competing with the 2U people as well as the 3U people? Or do you only compete with other 3U people?
Or if you do 2U maths do you still have to compete with the 3U people sitting the 2U paper? please help im really confused :mad1:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
If you are doing extension 1 maths, and you do a 2 unit paper, you are competing against all those who are doing 2 unit maths, regardless of whether they are doing extension 1 maths or not. Same if you are only doing 2 unit maths, you will be marked against those who are doing extension 1 maths, provided they are doing 2 unit maths as well.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you mean - are they marked at a different standard - my understanding from talking to my colleagues who do Maths marking would be no as they aren't told whether the candidate whose work they are marking are also doing Extension 1.

It if the same with any of the Extension exams - we don't know if the person whose work is being marked is doing just the basic level or the higher one as well. Certiainly at Modern History there is absolutely no indication of students who are also doing History Extension.

Gatorade

HSC
So its a disadvantage to only sit for the 2U paper as you are competing against people of a higher standard instead of just other 2U people? Then why don't people go on to do the 3U test?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Each person has a limit in their Mathematical capability.
I chose not to do Extension 2 because I know my limits, you can't do much about it as a regular Maths kid when the MX1 kiddies compete with you.

williamc

HSC
Well if you decide to do extension 2 maths to get away from students that do a higher level of maths. Although, its not possible for 3 unit students to get away from being ranked against students that do a higher level of maths because their 3unit gets ranked against extension 2 students.

So there is no point in doing 3 unit maths instead of 2, just to get away from students that do a higher level of maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)