Question about moderation (1 Viewer)

NdaisabaH

HSC
Hey guys,
I was reading about moderation on the board of studies website and came across this line "The top assessment mark is adjusted to equal to the highest examination mark obtained by any student in the group."

Does this mean that if I come first for the examination than that mark will be my assessment mark even if it lower than the actual assessment mark

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The actual mark that the school sent in is really ignored now other than to determine ranks and gaps.

This is because the only common task all students sit if the HSC exam so that is used to moderate the school's marks.

If your school sent you in with 99 and the highest exam mark for your school was 50 then your assessment mark would be 50 and you would keep your own exam mark, which would either be 50 or lower, and the average of the 2 would be the final HSC.

This would be an extreme example by the way as most schools mark close to the HSC standard and so the marks are usually within a few marks of the exams anyway.

The opposite though could also happen - school sent you in with 60 as the highest mark and the highest exam mark was 90 then that becomes the assessment mark.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I was reading about moderation on the board of studies website and came across this line "The top assessment mark is adjusted to equal to the highest examination mark obtained by any student in the group."

Does this mean that if I come first for the examination than that mark will be my assessment mark even if it lower than the actual assessment mark
"The top assessment mark" implies you are first in school, not first in the exam.

If you come first in the exam, great, but that's your own individual performance that only directly affects your exam mark. Whatever assessment mark you get is an adjusted mark of your school mark, based on how well your entire cohort did in the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)