Question about "Studying Math" (1 Viewer)

Zokunu

HSC
Yo, I have a Math test on Monday and I was just wondering...Should I study/practise textbook questions (Fitzpatrick) or Past Papers on the last day before a math Exam?

Should I try attempt the questions which i don't know? Or simply just try to attempt all the questions based on the topic?

Suggestions please? Tommorow's last day, ty :)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Yo, I have a Math test on Monday and I was just wondering...Should I study/practise textbook questions (Fitzpatrick) or Past Papers on the last day before a math Exam?

Should I try attempt the questions which i don't know? Or simply just try to attempt all the questions based on the topic?

A 'Math' test??
Are you studying in the US?
We do 'Maths' in Australia.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think doing past HSC papers is way the way to go-but don't do every single question from all the years on the particular topic/topics you are tested-perhaps just choose the recent five years and just focus on that-don't overdo too many new questions-on the last day, make sure you understand all your past mistakes and avoid making silly mistakes. Best wishes for you doing brilliantly in your maths assessment on Monday:) (ultimately, just go with what you think would be the most helpful to you, don't take my advice if you don't agree with it-as I don't know how many past HSC papers you have attempted... but the most important thing is not to panic and just go in and try your best:)

braintic

HSC
N/A
But Australian English is being increasingly americanised.
Not if I can help it. I take every opportunity to steer people back onto the right path.
(And yes, I hate the Yanks)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Not if I can help it. I take every opportunity to steer people back onto the right path.
(And yes, I hate the Yanks)
I'm not myself pleased with the drift, being an English purist myself.

'programme', sulphur, advise(verb) and advice(noun), labour(not labor) etc for me.

Zokunu

HSC
Go do as many past HSC questions as you can.
Just asking but uh....do any of you write down the question when doing past papers? (I don't print mine). I write down the question so that I can refer back to it, but I find it a waste of time, since i might need to draw up the diagram and stuff ==''. What do you think?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Just asking but uh....do any of you write down the question when doing past papers? (I don't print mine). I write down the question so that I can refer back to it, but I find it a waste of time, since i might need to draw up the diagram and stuff ==''. What do you think?
No need. Just write down the question number :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Presuming it's a topic test, pull out some relevant questions for the past papers.

If you're struggling with an area, you may have to go back to the textbook to get more comfortable with the style of Q and reattempt some harder type Qs of it again once you've got it down.

I always liked to work through of examples of the types of questions you'd get. I had a little method book that I found extremely helpful in studying for mathematics.

youngsky

poof
HSC
Do past HSC questions which are the same topic (not the whole paper), and if your school has them, past papers. Once you've got a hang of the harder questions, then its generally fine to do textbook questions. That's basically what I did and it was smooth sailing from there

HSC
Past papers are usually the way to go but I never went about that way until the trials or at least when we had finished calculus or most of it since half the huge textbooks of past papers aren't needed yet and it's pointless searching for a few hard questions. I would go with the Fitzpatrick option. I always did that too along with other maths textbooks which I forgot the name of LOL but they all provided challenging questions for that particular topic which suited me more than as opposed to searching for an actual HSC question which is quite similar anyway. Save the HSC textbook until you have finished calculus at least.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Do past papers under timed conditions would be the most beneficial

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
It might be a bit late, but make sure you understand ALL the core concepts of each topic and do past papers relevant to your topics. A lot of exam questions are based around understanding that is manipulated in a weird way to throw people off. This is why exposure to past papers is crucial, so you have experience of the different questions they can chuck at you. After all, there are so many your teachers can use, right? :p

Would also recommend noting down questions that are particularly difficult so you can redo them, to make sure you understand what you're doing instead of just going through the motions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)