question about The Removalists (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
just wondering if any of you can help... i have a set of questions due tomorrow about The Removalists and the last question is stumping me: "Explain the irony of the title." i honestly dont know how to answer that. any help would be really appreciated, thankyous and kisses in advance :D

aerynlikewhoa

HSC
The way I see it.. everything the characters had at the start of the play is gone. Ross and Simmonds are basically heading for a rough ride, losing whatever they have going for them... Fiona lost her husband, her sister lost all her dignity... and well... Kenny's dead.
Does that give you any ideas?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
thankyou...that's sort of what i was thinking as well. that it's not just furniture that gets removed, all the characters lose something personally relevant to themselves like all the stuff you said. something like that. thanks.

KatPadackles

HSC
I need alot of help for The Removalits..

How does the themes and staging reflect the times they were written?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
How does the themes and staging reflect the times they were written?
Thematically, it looks at the various problems of Australian society. The following are all problems which can be associated with the 1970's period.

Simmonds is a representative of police corruption, and common immorality. Ross is a symbol of the institution, and how it cannot prepare an individual for the real world. Kenny, a representation of the archetype male, and his relationship shows the common problems of male dominance, wife abuse, and female oppression. The removalist himself is a symbol of the 'everyday-man', one who doesn't want to be involved, and merely sits on the fence.

Climatically, the play shows Ross's eventual descent from good cop, to bad cop. The good intentions of the institution are reduced to rubble as the play finishes with the death of Kenny, and utter hysteria. This descent in particular, highlights the themes and symbols of the play.

This should get you started.

tanguyen

HSC
Drama requires you to imagine as if you've seen the actual play or better yet, attempted to recreate the play in your class - you should be trying to add these in class demonstrations and workshops as quotes into your essay; in short bullshit.

So yeh, you could mention that you've tried to recreate a whole scene as closely as possible to the play which would be considered as a "period piece". That said, the staging would reflect the 70's period such as the flowery wallpaper and the living conditions of the low socio economical suburban house with possibly second hand furniture ra di ra...

holden4ever89

HSC
The title - "The Removalists" i think works on two levels.

- Symbolism that expresses the stripping away of the characters moral and social obligations - this is especially the case with Ross who begins as an eager recruit and, due to the manipulation of the sergeant, concludes with a devasting act of violence.

- Humour used by Williamson is essentially 'black humour' and is a technique that juxtaposes the confrontation of the play. The Removalist character appears to be only concerned with his "machinery ticking over in the driveway" and seemingly ignores the abuse of power that is taking place. Again, symbolic of society's refusal to acknowledge violence within the police force .

so if i had to write an extended response in regards to the title i would focus on the conventions and techniques that Williamson uses - such as character development, denouement, social themes and their reflections in the characters responses and reactions etc etc. Also READ THE INTRODUCTIONS that are in most versions of the play (im pretty sure). a guy basically wrote a whole essay on violence in australian society - read it, learn it and QUOTE IT!

i will have a look for some essays and try n upload them for u if u think they will help

KatPadackles

HSC
Thank you so much! And thanks holden, that would be a great help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)