• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

question about writing dialogue (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
When writing dialogue in a story, how do you structure it?

If two people have a convosation, do you start a new line when a new person speaks?

When one person is speaking, but the convosation pauses for description, do you continue on the same line? or start a new line as the dialogue continues?

For eg.

"Time certainly flies, don't you think?" she said looking away, her eyes filled with tears.
"I am a very old woman now," she continued. "When i was five years old my father took me to the farm...etc etc

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
jazzmuzik said:

If two people have a convosation, do you start a new line when a new person speaks?
Yes.

When one person is speaking, but the convosation pauses for description, do you continue on the same line? or start a new line as the dialogue continues?
It all depends on how much action you put into the in between bit. You can do either and it all depends on your own "style" or "voice". Look at some different authors and see how they cope with it. Personally, I would structure your example as follows:

"Time certainly flies, don't you think?" she said looking away, her eyes filled with tears. "I am a very old woman now. When i was five years old my father took me to the farm...etc etc​
No need to put in "she continued" because it is obvious and it speeds up the dialogue.

marthastuart

HSC
Basically, indent everytime you use dialogue, and when another character talks, or you're resuming the descriptive passage then take a new line, that's pretty much it.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
jazzmuzik said:

For eg.

"Time certainly flies, don't you think?" she said looking away, her eyes filled with tears.
"I am a very old woman now," she continued. "When i was five years old my father took me to the farm...etc etc
conversation*

and just be careful that you dont have too many dialogue heavy scenes...[unless it serves a purpose, ie.. i'm using a very dialogue heavy scene in my story because i'm satirising writing.. [kinda..]]
but yeah,
the above posters have given very accurate info
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)