question I like answered (1 Viewer)

LoneWolf1990

HSC
Is the chemistry that students who are doing say a Bachelor of Science(for those who have a UAI of <95.3 and has a HSC mark of above 50) any different to the chemistry that students who do a Bachelor of Medical Science learn??

Lori.

HSC
As far as I know, whichever chemistry units you do in first year science (or med sci, etc...) will depend on your background in chemistry, so you do either the introductory or the intermediate units (or the Advanced units if you have a UAI of 97...). So it does not really depend on what kind of science degree you're in - you can get students from med sci, regular sci, nutrition, anthropology degrees, etc etc etc in any of the chem units.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
So that means if I do a Bachelor of Medical Science I would learn the same stuff as the people who do a Bachelor of Science?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
In short yes.

You will do different subjects, but the stuff you learn in the first year is quite similiar (al beit in different order).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
So that means if I do a Bachelor of Medical Science I would learn the same stuff as the people who do a Bachelor of Science?
If you do B Med Sc, you must do the following in first year:
- 12 Credit Pts of Maths
- 12 Credit Pts of Chemistry
- 12 Credit Pts of Physics
- 12 Credit Pts of Biology
There are a range of levels for each of them depending on your background, but these units are also accesible to those taking B Sc.

However, in 2nd year onwards the B Med Sc students do completely different and exclusive units which are not accessible to those taking B Sc.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
In short yes.

You will do different subjects, but the stuff you learn in the first year is quite similiar (al beit in different order).
What do you mean by similar? As in that we would still learn the same fundamental stuff?

If so, is that why you can elect to do a B Med. Sc for the second year entry?

Shryzr

HSC
What do you mean by similar? As in that we would still learn the same fundamental stuff?
yes!

first year chemistry (Chemistry 1101/1102 - recommended for Bsc students) and life sciences chem (Chem1108/1109) are pretty much similar...however, as stated earlier by xiao1985...they're indeed in a different order. that is, what one learns in sem 1 the other learns in sem 2 n vice versa. so basically, by the end of the first yr u'll learn almost the same stuff.

If so, is that why you can elect to do a B Med. Sc for the second year entry?
umm...there's other reasons for that as well. since B Med Sci has a higher UAI cut-off, some students choose to transfer across to it from other courses esp Bsc provided they have done the same/similar units as required by B Med Sci for first yr - refer to course outline.

Now, i seriously suggest that you check the first year chemistry website out esp. this page which helps you in deciding which chem units to take - Which Units?

hope this helps.

Last edited:
M

moye1025

The reason why there is an option to transfer into second year medical science is because the units of study done in second year medical science are available only to students enrolled in the med sci course. If your doing a BSci or BSci (Adv) you will be unable to do the units which second year med sci students undertake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)